This is why we don't/won't land top prospects under Tubby

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Tubby doesn't play games with agents like other coaches arewilling to do. Gary Parrish explains here:

Sad truth: College hoops coaches need player agents
Aug. 11, 2010
By Gary Parrish
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

The public admonishment of sports agents and their role in college athletics hasn't really slowed since it became known last month that the NCAA is investigating several possible impermissible relationships between agents and student-athletes. Alabama football coach Nick Saban curiously compared agents to pimps, Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops recommended suspending agents who knowingly break rules, and, just this week, Florida football coach Urban Meyer closed practices because he's "concerned about the stuff where you get NCAA violations, and scumbags that are involved that shouldn't be involved."

By scumbags, I'm assuming Meyer meant agents.

Or at least runners working on behalf of agents.

Tim Floyd and most coaches well know the danger posed by agents. (Getty Images)
Either way, the nation's best football coaches have been vocal and loud and straight to the point, almost all claiming they want serious change and stiff penalties for anybody who prematurely compromises a player's amateur status. Meantime, the nation's best basketball coaches have similarly acknowledged the role of agents in their sport is an issue, but they've been less fiery and specific while doing it.

The reason is simple: Basketball coaches need agents.

That's the dirty truth about NCAA hoops, the main difference between college basketball and college football. Football coaches gain very little, and perhaps nothing, from agents hovering around their programs because agents don't typically deliver football prospects to colleges given that agents don't normally get involved with football prospects until after football prospects already are in college. Basketball is the exact opposite. The fact that it's relatively simple to identify future NBA players at an early age combined with the fact that those players can enter the NBA draft after only one year of college has created a culture where agents fund AAU programs, develop relationships with teenagers, and seize control of many elite prospects well before college coaches even get seriously involved.

I don't want to suggest it's universal, but what I can tell you is that it's impossible to recruit certain prospects without going through "their guy," and in many cases "their guy" is either a runner for an agent or someone who long ago cut a deal with a runner. In that scenario, the agent has control. So if a coach wants to recruit the compromised prospect, he'd better have a good relationship with the agent. Or, at the very least, a working relationship.

Take the Anthony Davis saga, for instance.

I have no idea whether Anthony Davis Sr., actually "negotiated a deal that promised $200,000 from someone who wanted [his son] to commit to Kentucky" like the Chicago Sun-Times alleged last week. There is no known evidence to back the claim, and the Sun-Times hasn't produced any named sources or proof, which is why, even if the allegation is true, most agree the reporting was pretty flimsy.

That said, I'll say this: If the allegation is true -- if Davis Sr., did in fact secure a six-figure deal with someone who wants his son to commit to UK -- I'd bet everything I own that the "someone" is an agent or somebody working on behalf of an agent rather than a Kentucky coach or booster. The idea that John Calipari would be shoveling massive amounts of cash to a family is silly, and anybody who thinks that's the way this stuff works is ignorant to the process. A more likely scenario -- and I'm not implying this happened in the Davis case; I'm just explaining how something like this might happen -- would have an agent taking care of a family and seizing control of the recruitment, then cutting a deal with a school's staff to send the player to the school in exchange for help when it comes time for any other future pros on that school's roster to formally select representation.

Think of it as a big circle.

The agent takes control of the high school prospect, then sends the prospect to a college coach who repays the agent, not with cash, but by helping him sign players who will later exit the program, at which point the agent sends another prospect to the college coach, and on and on it goes. It's a never-ending game of "I'll send you one if you send me one," the perfect exercise for the coach with a conscience in that it allows him to convince himself that he "didn't pay anybody" all while directly benefitting from an improper relationship between a prospect and agent.

Still, even the delusional coaches know they benefit.

They must.

So you're not going to hear many high-profile basketball coaches -- i.e., basketball coaches who consistently recruit top 20 talents -- come out and call agents "pimps" or "scumbags." Nick Saban and Urban Meyer used those words because agents don't aid their football programs, they only hurt them, but that's not the case in basketball. Sure, agents can cause problems for basketball programs, too, especially if impermissible relationships are exposed; just ask Tim Floyd.

But for every NCAA investigation into a basketball program because of a prospect's involvement with an agent, there's almost certainly a top 10 program actually benefitting from a prospect's involvement with an agent, which is why coaches often cover their ears, close their eyes, cross their fingers and deal with them, because in this sport, sometimes, the pimps and scumbags hold the keys to a nationally ranked recruiting class.

Link

I've heard/read that Tubby likes to get to know recruit and his family over a period of time b4 he offers. That kind of due dilligence would necessarily limit the opportunity for the U to get involved in an unethical recruiting deal and that makes me feel good about his choices. I've always been a Clem beleiver. I don't know why he was taken down in the Ganglehoff deal but I'm fairly confident that Tubby won't leave with vacated successes.

Tubby doesn't play games with agents like other coaches arewilling to do. Gary Parrish explains here:

Sad truth: College hoops coaches need player agents
Aug. 11, 2010
By Gary Parrish
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

The public admonishment of sports agents and their role in college athletics hasn't really slowed since it became known last month that the NCAA is investigating several possible impermissible relationships between agents and student-athletes. Alabama football coach Nick Saban curiously compared agents to pimps, Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops recommended suspending agents who knowingly break rules, and, just this week, Florida football coach Urban Meyer closed practices because he's "concerned about the stuff where you get NCAA violations, and scumbags that are involved that shouldn't be involved."

By scumbags, I'm assuming Meyer meant agents.

Or at least runners working on behalf of agents.

Tim Floyd and most coaches well know the danger posed by agents. (Getty Images)
Either way, the nation's best football coaches have been vocal and loud and straight to the point, almost all claiming they want serious change and stiff penalties for anybody who prematurely compromises a player's amateur status. Meantime, the nation's best basketball coaches have similarly acknowledged the role of agents in their sport is an issue, but they've been less fiery and specific while doing it.

The reason is simple: Basketball coaches need agents.

That's the dirty truth about NCAA hoops, the main difference between college basketball and college football. Football coaches gain very little, and perhaps nothing, from agents hovering around their programs because agents don't typically deliver football prospects to colleges given that agents don't normally get involved with football prospects until after football prospects already are in college. Basketball is the exact opposite. The fact that it's relatively simple to identify future NBA players at an early age combined with the fact that those players can enter the NBA draft after only one year of college has created a culture where agents fund AAU programs, develop relationships with teenagers, and seize control of many elite prospects well before college coaches even get seriously involved.

I don't want to suggest it's universal, but what I can tell you is that it's impossible to recruit certain prospects without going through "their guy," and in many cases "their guy" is either a runner for an agent or someone who long ago cut a deal with a runner. In that scenario, the agent has control. So if a coach wants to recruit the compromised prospect, he'd better have a good relationship with the agent. Or, at the very least, a working relationship.

Take the Anthony Davis saga, for instance.

I have no idea whether Anthony Davis Sr., actually "negotiated a deal that promised $200,000 from someone who wanted [his son] to commit to Kentucky" like the Chicago Sun-Times alleged last week. There is no known evidence to back the claim, and the Sun-Times hasn't produced any named sources or proof, which is why, even if the allegation is true, most agree the reporting was pretty flimsy.

That said, I'll say this: If the allegation is true -- if Davis Sr., did in fact secure a six-figure deal with someone who wants his son to commit to UK -- I'd bet everything I own that the "someone" is an agent or somebody working on behalf of an agent rather than a Kentucky coach or booster. The idea that John Calipari would be shoveling massive amounts of cash to a family is silly, and anybody who thinks that's the way this stuff works is ignorant to the process. A more likely scenario -- and I'm not implying this happened in the Davis case; I'm just explaining how something like this might happen -- would have an agent taking care of a family and seizing control of the recruitment, then cutting a deal with a school's staff to send the player to the school in exchange for help when it comes time for any other future pros on that school's roster to formally select representation.

Think of it as a big circle.

The agent takes control of the high school prospect, then sends the prospect to a college coach who repays the agent, not with cash, but by helping him sign players who will later exit the program, at which point the agent sends another prospect to the college coach, and on and on it goes. It's a never-ending game of "I'll send you one if you send me one," the perfect exercise for the coach with a conscience in that it allows him to convince himself that he "didn't pay anybody" all while directly benefitting from an improper relationship between a prospect and agent.

Still, even the delusional coaches know they benefit.

They must.

So you're not going to hear many high-profile basketball coaches -- i.e., basketball coaches who consistently recruit top 20 talents -- come out and call agents "pimps" or "scumbags." Nick Saban and Urban Meyer used those words because agents don't aid their football programs, they only hurt them, but that's not the case in basketball. Sure, agents can cause problems for basketball programs, too, especially if impermissible relationships are exposed; just ask Tim Floyd.

But for every NCAA investigation into a basketball program because of a prospect's involvement with an agent, there's almost certainly a top 10 program actually benefitting from a prospect's involvement with an agent, which is why coaches often cover their ears, close their eyes, cross their fingers and deal with them, because in this sport, sometimes, the pimps and scumbags hold the keys to a nationally ranked recruiting class.

Link

I posted something in this regard a while back. Former UGA coach said that on national tv that kids from 12-13 years of age get contacted by these agents. He said that some players even get a call from their agents during the half time break. Agents tell them that their coach is wrong by playing them at certain position.

Go Gophers

This is why the NBA rule of needing to play one year of college so ridiculous. Leave the college game to collegians and let adults who want to start their professional career, do so. I have a lot of respect for Coach Smith, but his ethical style of recruiting is akin to the geologist who still believes the world is flat.

This is why the NBA rule of needing to play one year of college so ridiculous. Leave the college game to collegians and let adults who want to start their professional career, do so. I have a lot of respect for Coach Smith, but his ethical style of recruiting is akin to the geologist who still believes the world is flat.

GH I'm not sure that I understand. Are you equating unethical behavior with ultimate human enlightment?

The last part makes no sense whatsoever.

I like the baseball rule. You can either go right out of high school or you commit to college for three years. I rather enjoyed butler's run a lot more than I enjoyed Syracuse's with Carmello.

"One and dones" want one thing from their college year, to get to the NBA. Mr. Obvious huh? They think that requires two things: a lot of playing time to showcase their skills and a run and gun offense to feature their ability to score

Tubby's teams at Minnesota have ran a lot of players in and out of the game. No recruit really knows if he'd get 30 minutes a game even if he did warrant it. Tubby's team don't run, run run and Big Ten games in general aren't 85-80 shooting matches. Two big strikes against Tubby signing NBA lottery players.

Not signing 1&dones fits my enjoyment level just fine. I'de rather watch a kid mature and grow over 4 years rather than see him steal his teammates thunder and developement opportunities for one year and then be gone.

"One and dones" want one thing from their college year, to get to the NBA. Mr. Obvious huh? They think that requires two things: a lot of playing time to showcase their skills and a run and gun offense to feature their ability to score

Tubby's teams at Minnesota have ran a lot of players in and out of the game. No recruit really knows if he'd get 30 minutes a game even if he did warrant it. Tubby's team don't run, run run and Big Ten games in general aren't 85-80 shooting matches. Two big strikes against Tubby signing NBA lottery players.

Tubby has played his key players as many as 30 minutes per game - Prince, Bogans, Hayes, Azubuike, Morris, Rondo, Magloire, Mohammed are some of his recent NBA players.

Tubby has played his key players as many as 30 minutes per game - Prince, Bogans, Hayes, Azubuike, Morris, Rondo, Magloire, Mohammed are some of his recent NBA players.

All true but mostly irrelevant. How old would a High Senior have been when most of those players came out of Kentucky. 11? 12? 7 or 8? "[BTubby's teams at Minnesota have ran a lot of players in and out of the game. No recruit really knows if he'd get 30 minutes a game even if he did warrant it"[/B]
Maybe he would do it here if he got the right player but for an 17 or 18 year old kid, what happened "back then" doesn't mean much. The kid who can "turn a program around", all that kid knows is what he's seen the last couple of years on TV and what some wanna be agent is telling him. None of which points that kid to play in the Big Ten for Tubby.

All true but mostly irrelevant. How old would a High Senior have been when most of those players came out of Kentucky. 11? 12? 7 or 8? "[BTubby's teams at Minnesota have ran a lot of players in and out of the game. No recruit really knows if he'd get 30 minutes a game even if he did warrant it"[/B]
Maybe he would do it here if he got the right player but for an 17 or 18 year old kid, what happened "back then" doesn't mean much. The kid who can "turn a program around", all that kid knows is what he's seen the last couple of years on TV and what some wanna be agent is telling him. None of which points that kid to play in the Big Ten for Tubby.

Tubby has played Gopher players for 30 minutes, too. None made the NBA yet.

Minnesota lost Cory Joseph (in part) because Texas is a better opportunity for 30+ minutes at PG. Al Nolen and his brother Devoe would have lowered that number at Minnesota.

Not so fast my friend. Prince 1066 minutes played in 32 games: Bogans 1066 minutes in 36 games: Hayes 995 minutes in 34 games: Azubuike 991 minutes in 34 games: Morris 937 minutes in 34 games: Rondo 1054 minutes in 34 games: Magloire 976 minutes in 33 games: Mohammed 819 minutes in 39 games. Do the math.

Senior year or last year played at UK. Numbers are from bigbluehistory.net

Overall, the Big Ten has ethical coaches. imo I don't think Tubby is the only bastion of ethical recruiting in the league. I can't think of a Big Ten coach that I think is shady. There have been some top recruiting classes in the league in the last few years, so it can be done without cheating. imo

Not so fast my friend. Prince 1066 minutes played in 32 games: Bogans 1066 minutes in 36 games: Hayes 995 minutes in 34 games: Azubuike 991 minutes in 34 games: Morris 937 minutes in 34 games: Rondo 1054 minutes in 34 games: Magloire 976 minutes in 33 games: Mohammed 819 minutes in 39 games. Do the math.

Senior year or last year played at UK. Numbers are from bigbluehistory.net

1066 / 32 = 33.3 mins per game (mpg).

1066 / 36 = 29.6 mpg.

1054 / 34 = 31.0 mpg.

995 / 34 = 29.3 mpg.

991 / 34 = 29.1 mpg.

976 / 33 = 29.6 mpg.

Certainly seems to be "As Many As 30 Minutes" to me.

The NBA just can't take that many new kids in a year. If the kids can move to the next level they should be able to go. What needs to happen is to find a better mechanism to see that that right kids are moving on at the right time. Just because a kid wants to go and thinks he's ready doesn't mean he is. You hate to see them blow up their amateur status on a hope and a prayer.

I disagree on the playing time for sure. Tubby has no problem using a freshman but there are only 20 or so players coming in every year that can log major minutes in top level D1 baskeball and only a few that go to the nba after one year. You won't get the one and dones but there are plenty of top players that you can recruit that don't have/want an agent and are projected to be pro prospects but on a 3 or 4 year path. Tubby can find, recruit and develop those types of guys just like Izzo at MSU. Tubby had Draymond Green, Ralph Sampson and Kenny Freese coming to UK before he bolted to Minnesota. Those are top college players but they are not the best of the best. The 2 teams the played for the championship this year didn't have the best of the best so it takes good players, good coaching and a good fan base.

I disagree on the playing time for sure. Tubby has no problem using a freshman but there are only 20 or so players coming in every year that can log major minutes in top level D1 baskeball and only a few that go to the nba after one year. You won't get the one and dones but there are plenty of top players that you can recruit that don't have/want an agent and are projected to be pro prospects but on a 3 or 4 year path. Tubby can find, recruit and develop those types of guys just like Izzo at MSU. Tubby had Draymond Green, Ralph Sampson and Kenny Freese coming to UK before he bolted to Minnesota. Those are top college players but they are not the best of the best. The 2 teams the played for the championship this year didn't have the best of the best so it takes good players, good coaching and a good fan base.

Green was Parade HS A-A and MI Mr Basketball in 2008.

Frease OR Sampson, not both. Ranked in Top 50-75 range.

I like the baseball rule. You can either go right out of high school or you commit to college for three years. I rather enjoyed butler's run a lot more than I enjoyed Syracuse's with Carmello.

Could you imagine how screwed Calipari would be if he couldn't have his program be a revolving door? That wasn't the case at Memphis as really there was what maybe 1 early entry per year from memphis? But at UK the program is becoming a revolving door for 1ndones. The window is closing it's like a firesale down there. They want/need to get a championship now before things blow up in their faces.

UK will not win a ship with solely 1 and dones, they dont have the leadership skills or experience or teamwork, they just want to look good for scouts they could care less about their teammates. Plus after Cals seniors leave and 4 or 5 freshman leave for the NBA, he will have to get his whole team in 1 recruiting class, and most smart top rated players will say hell no because they know they will play second fiddle to someone else a la daniel orton and cousins

I don't agree with this post at all. Tubby is in the same class as coach Keady, Knight, and Pitino.... These people are born to be a coach. They always did and will go after the players who fit into their system. They do what they are paid to do that is coaching. They are not here to promote players for NBA. It is up to the players to work hard in order to make it to the next level.

As a fan of college basketball, I couldn't care less if 10000000000 of Tubby's former players are in NBA. I don't even watch any of the NBA games until May. Then I get sick and wait for October again. I don't enjoy watching teams like UK, UT, OSU.... I would rather watching "Belmont basketball" than these teams'. I used to go to Belmont's games when there was about 1000 fans in the gym. It was a pure and clean competition.

My point is that I don't care if we ever get a player like John Wall,.... I like to go to the games and see players that play for my school not for themselves. That was a reason that I kept bashing Westy last year because he was all about himself.

Go Gophers.

The problem isn't agents. Agents are in every major youth sport in this country: Baseball, Hockey, Football, Soccer and Basketball. 99% of them are professionals and do things above board. The real problem (and the one's that end up costing kids and programs) are the wannabe's. The guys who are trying to break in or see a talented local player as a ticket to the big time. They're the ones quick to dole out money, gifts, bribe friends and family to gain influence. Most college coaches have zero clue who these guys actually are and really don't have time to police what a couple of huckster from a player's neighborhood are trying to pull.

Gary Parrish is correct that most coaches do have relationships with agents and it's been that way for a long time. Dean Smith had a long standing relationship with ProServ for example and funneled his players to them upon exiting his program until Sam Perkins rocked the boat. Where I think Parrish is mistaken is how much these relationships actually mean in the recruiting process and how they pertain to commitments.

Could you imagine how screwed Calipari would be if he couldn't have his program be a revolving door? That wasn't the case at Memphis as really there was what maybe 1 early entry per year from memphis? But at UK the program is becoming a revolving door for 1ndones. The window is closing it's like a firesale down there. They want/need to get a championship now before things blow up in their faces.

Kentucky isn't Memphis and he's able to recruit at a level on par with the other traditional powerhouses. Kids want to play for him and Kentucky. It's not that hard of a sale job if you're willing to work hard on the trail: "Play for me, play at one of the most prestigious places in all of basketball, play hard and I won't hold you back from your dreams." Would you feel better if he had told John and DeMarcus to come back? A lot of coaches would have done that but that's not who he is.

UK will not win a ship with solely 1 and dones, they dont have the leadership skills or experience or teamwork, they just want to look good for scouts they could care less about their teammates. Plus after Cals seniors leave and 4 or 5 freshman leave for the NBA, he will have to get his whole team in 1 recruiting class, and most smart top rated players will say hell no because they know they will play second fiddle to someone else a la daniel orton and cousins

Really? These comments are funny to me because they just parrot a line of thinking that is popular but patently false.

lol kentucky fans, its so false look at all the championships being won under cal, look at the wonderful student athletes maintaining team cumulative 2.0 gpas, look at all the cheating that totally isnt going on, cough cough anthony davis cough. go work for the ncaa so that when the violations drop you can be cal's inside man and burn all the records.

lol kentucky fans, its so false look at all the championships being won under cal, look at the wonderful student athletes maintaining team cumulative 2.0 gpas, look at all the cheating that totally isnt going on, cough cough anthony davis cough. go work for the ncaa so that when the violations drop you can be cal's inside man and burn all the records.

We do have some wonderful student athletes. Last year's team helped raise over a million dollar for Haitian Earthquake relief. This year's team (those spoiled, one and doner's only out for themselves) spent yesterday handing out shoes and washing the feet of underprivileged children as part of the Good Samaritan Charity; among them was two time High School Gatorade Athlete of the Year and 4.3 Honor Student Brandon Knight.

So, yeah, I'm pretty confident in the man and student-athletes he's brought in.

Top Bottom