Armelin Signed Yesterday

plus we need 1 guy from the south with a hilarious accent to replace damian. :)

Love getting guys that truly want to be here. I'm looking forward to seeing what he is capable of. Hopefully his athleticism is as good as advertised.

It seems as though everyone has picked up good vibes on this young man. He appears to have good roots and a supportive background. I thnk he's a poster child for what coaching (at all levels) is all about.

I pray that Tubby and crew will do well in helping everone in his orgaization to embrace the value of commitment and integrity.

There is nothing in the world that can replace a player who is thankful this much to be recruited by Gophers. When he can deliver, we'll be even happier. Lets welcome this nice young group of kids to our campus and our lives. It will be a nice season. I would rather to have 12 kids like this in my team than 1 Royce-type.

Go Gophers

When I was a high school senior, I would have loved nothing more than to get a scholly offer from the Gophs. It would have been the greatest thing to happen in my life and I would have cherished it every day until I graduated. I would have given my blood, sweat, and tears for the team every single day during my tenure.

Let's be honest here...talent wins. I have no time for the Royce White's of the world but there are very talented players out there that don't have Royce's baggage. It's not an either-or proposition. If the kid isn't BT-worthy, I really don't care if he already has the Rouser memorized. Become a cheerleader if that's the case.

This isn't an indictment on the kid. I've never seen him play...but I'll take talent over the cheerleader every day of the week and twice on Sundays, all else held equal.

When I was a high school senior, I would have loved nothing more than to get a scholly offer from the Gophs. It would have been the greatest thing to happen in my life and I would have cherished it every day until I graduated. I would have given my blood, sweat, and tears for the team every single day during my tenure.

Let's be honest here...talent wins. I have no time for the Royce White's of the world but there are very talented players out there that don't have Royce's baggage. It's not an either-or proposition. If the kid isn't BT-worthy, I really don't care if he already has the Rouser memorized. Become a cheerleader if that's the case.

This isn't an indictment on the kid. I've never seen him play...but I'll take talent over the cheerleader every day of the week and twice on Sundays, all else held equal.

Based on what I've read, the young man has talent. Louisiana is a good basketball state. He was 3 time All-Stater there. You don't get that far by cheerleading.

IMO that's an ethical slippery slope. "...the Royce Whites of the world..." can probably use the most help.

I understand your point, but I think it is worth saying that in saying we want 12 of these kids, it doesn't mean we want 12 kids without talent but hearts of gold.

I want kids that are good kids -- you don't need to be scanning the Star Trib headlines or the police blotter because you don't trust them. I want them to be coachable -- they should have an attitude such that they are receptive to constructive criticism and want to improve their game, rather than thinking they are the s*** and don't need any help. I want kids who are committed to the program -- they will spend 4-5 years here, and will be positive role models to future recruits. They will contribute incrementally more each year. And yes, I want them to be talented as well. That doesn't mean they are five star recruits. Those guys are often the antithesis to humility and patience (Royce being exhibit A-Z) and can cause more problems than they are worth.

I realize that handicaps you sometimes when it comes to getting the top talent. Guys who can bring you to the next level in college often leave for the NBA after a year or two...and I'm saying I don't want to win like that. I don't want to win like Calipari or Thad Matta or these guys that recruit classes full of All-Americans just to have them spend 1-3 seasons on the hardwood as mercenaries before punching their ticket for the NBA. It may mean we won't have as competitive a program as a UK or an OSU but I think it is the right way to build and maintain a program.

/End rant

I realize that handicaps you sometimes when it comes to getting the top talent. Guys who can bring you to the next level in college often leave for the NBA after a year or two...and I'm saying I don't want to win like that. I don't want to win like Calipari or Thad Matta or these guys that recruit classes full of All-Americans just to have them spend 1-3 seasons on the hardwood as mercenaries before punching their ticket for the NBA. It may mean we won't have as competitive a program as a UK or an OSU but I think it is the right way to build and maintain a program.

The funny thing is, guys like that don't bring programs to the next level. I may be forgetting someone, but I'm 99% sure that the only one-and-done ever to lead his team to a title was Carmelo in 2003. Schools that are able to keep guys for at least 2 years, and preferably 3 or 4, are the ones that win the overwhelming majority of the time. If cohesion, experience, familiarity, etc. weren't at least as important as talent, you would never see schools like Davidson, George Mason, (and Butler, to some extent), make the runs that they do. Likewise, we got little-to-nothing from guys like Rickert, Humphries, and Przybilla. That's one of the reasons I was so excited for Williams and White - I figured they'd be program guys that would stay 2-3 years and bring this team some deep runs. In other words, guys who were good, but not quite good enough to make the leap immediately. Give me a team full of guys like that any day over a team full of John Walls. White couldn't keep his head out of his rectum long enough to achieve anything, but maybe Williams can still be that kind of player for us.

The only one and done player since Carmelo to play a significant role on a championship team was Marvin Williams at UNC in 2005.

The one and done guys have done quite well for the runners up though: Oden, Conley and Cook for Ohio State and Rose at Memphis.

The funny thing is, guys like that don't bring programs to the next level. I may be forgetting someone, but I'm 99% sure that the only one-and-done ever to lead his team to a title was Carmelo in 2003. Schools that are able to keep guys for at least 2 years, and preferably 3 or 4, are the ones that win the overwhelming majority of the time. If cohesion, experience, familiarity, etc. weren't at least as important as talent, you would never see schools like Davidson, George Mason, (and Butler, to some extent), make the runs that they do. Likewise, we got little-to-nothing from guys like Rickert, Humphries, and Przybilla. That's one of the reasons I was so excited for Williams and White - I figured they'd be program guys that would stay 2-3 years and bring this team some deep runs. In other words, guys who were good, but not quite good enough to make the leap immediately. Give me a team full of guys like that any day over a team full of John Walls. White couldn't keep his head out of his rectum long enough to achieve anything, but maybe Williams can still be that kind of player for us.

Przybilla left because of the coaching change, Rickert got bad advice, and the gophs were probably lucky that Humhpries left. You do not want the one and done's though. Michigan State is a good of example of recruiting top players that stick around for three or four years.

Clipped From Hoopmasters

Tubby Smith and his Minnesota staff have signed a late addition in 6-3 combo guard Chip Armelin ... confirmed by the Sulphur Daily News, the Minnesota Golden Gophers have signed a quality combo guard for the fall of 2010 in 6-3 175-pound Chip Armelin from Sulphur, LA High.

“I had my mind set on that one,” Armelin told the Daily News. “They really fit my style of play. I watched them play a couple of times on TV and they have a good coach. I just fit in really well with them. The campus is pretty good and they have nice facilities. They have good people.”

Armelin has the ball skills to play either guard spot, but is best suited heading to Minnesota this fall to be a scoring guard. he has range to arc and is good shooter off the dribble too! He finishes in traffic and is a solid open court passer. Look for him to add depth this fall fro the Gophers.

He chose Minnesota over interest from Houston, Tulane, Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana Monroe, Southern Miss and North Texas.

Przybilla left because of the coaching change, Rickert got bad advice, and the gophs were probably lucky that Humhpries left. You do not want the one and done's though. Michigan State is a good of example of recruiting top players that stick around for three or four years.
Now if we could just get a few players the calibur of Michigan State we'd be in good shape. But that isn't happening at all.

Now if we could just get a few players the calibur of Michigan State we'd be in good shape. But that isn't happening at all.

Did you just add another screen name so the people that have you on ignore see you again?

He chose Minnesota over interest from Houston, Tulane, Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana Monroe, Southern Miss and North Texas.
He chose MN over "interest" from those schools? So basically, he picked the only school that gave him a scholarship?

Doesn't seem like much of a "choice" to me. I hope he turns out to be a diamond in the rough, but you really shouldn't harp on posters that question his credentials, being that he didn't have ONE D1 offer, regardless of his supposed football route (where he didn't receive any offers either).

He chose MN over "interest" from those schools? So basically, he picked the only school that gave him a scholarship?

Doesn't seem like much of a "choice" to me. I hope he turns out to be a diamond in the rough, but you really shouldn't harp on posters that question his credentials, being that he didn't have ONE D1 offer, regardless of his supposed football route (where he didn't receive any offers either).

That's "Van Coleman-speak" but I've read he had offers from North Texas, La Tech, and UTEP.

There was a 2 Star player from Texas in 2006 class who had offers from Iowa St, Colo St, UL Monroe, and Tex Arlington.

Wonder what ever happened to him? Oh yeah, #3 pick in NBA draft in 2010. Wesley Johnson.

Caveat: Armelin NOT EQUAL TO Johnson, just that players' offers don't always indicate how good they might be?

That's "Van Coleman-speak" but I've read he had offers from North Texas, La Tech, and UTEP.
Where did you read this? I haven't seen one site anywhere that said he had any legit D1 offer?

Wow...talk about a stretch with the Wesley Johnson comparison! Armelin is a 0 star player, with 0 offers. He also didn't grow 5 inches or whatever Johnson did in college.

If Armelin turns into a Wesley Johnson, I will personally fly down to Chicago, kiss your feet, and take you to whatever 5 star restaurant you want. Then I will jump off Navy Pier into Lake Michigan naked.

Where did you read this? I haven't seen one site anywhere that said he had any legit D1 offer?

Rivals shows offers from Louisiana Tech and North Texas as does almost every other article I've read. While not an impressive offer list, they are there.

Rivals

Wow...talk about a stretch with the Wesley Johnson comparison! Armelin is a 0 star player, with 0 offers. He also didn't grow 5 inches or whatever Johnson did in college.

If Armelin turns into a Wesley Johnson, I will personally fly down to Chicago, kiss your feet, and take you to whatever 5 star restaurant you want. Then I will jump off Navy Pier into Lake Michigan naked.

SGL -

Can FOT choose a different prize? :)

Also pretty hard for Armelin to grow 5" in college yet since he's not there yet. ;)

That said, there are some pretty long odds of Armelin morphing into a high 1st round pick.

I don't want anyone on any of our teams who is a thug/criminal. I would rather lose every game we ever play. It is a game. Crime is not a game.

He never had an offer from UTEP only interest.

From everything else I have read, if we didn't offer he was headed to juco to try to regain interest from a major program.

I don't want anyone on any of our teams who is a thug/criminal. I would rather lose every game we ever play. It is a game. Crime is not a game.

Agreed. I'de rather watch a boy grow over 3-5 years into a responsible young adult than watch a self-absorbed and entitled hotshot acquire what he wants at to the detriment of others.

Did you read my caveat? (No) I SAID JOHNSON NOT EQUAL TO ARMELIN but players get better than their offers sometimes.

Caveat: Armelin NOT EQUAL TO Johnson, just that players' offers don't always indicate how good they might be?

SGL -

Can FOT choose a different prize? :)

Also pretty hard for Armelin to grow 5" in college yet since he's not there yet. ;)

That said, there are some pretty long odds of Armelin morphing into a high 1st round pick.

All I said was Players Get Better Than Their Offers Sometimes.

Top Bottom