Pioneer Press' Take on MarQueis

Did anyone else see the quote by brew where it said he wasnt happy about practice because the team was not mentally tough enough to block out the heat or something?? I'm sorry, but if it's hot out, it's effin hot out. Does the name Korey Stringer ring a bell. I back brew 100% but sometimes i wish he would shut up.

Did anyone else see the quote by brew where it said he wasnt happy about practice because the team was not mentally tough enough to block out the heat or something?? I'm sorry, but if it's hot out, it's effin hot out. Does the name Korey Stringer ring a bell. I back brew 100% but sometimes i wish he would shut up.

You're way off base. Any coach in the world will tell you that the heat is no excuse for sloppy play or for a lack o hard work. The same thing is being said around the country. Before wishing someone should shut up you may want to be certain that you're not the one who's wrong

HAHA...you try doing any physical activity where the heat index is 100 or approaching 100 degrees and tell me if you feel a little sloppy. mentally tougher than the heat...

Tell that to the men and women that have been going to Iraq for nearly 10 years. D1 players have to much tougher than what you are willing to tolerate.

I had to do a double take when I saw that MarQueis is only a sophomore! Between the excitement following his commitment and the year lost to academics, I can't believe he only played his freshman year last year, it feels like he is a senior.

I really hope he has some wonderfully productive years ahead of him.

HAHA...you try doing any physical activity where the heat index is 100 or approaching 100 degrees and tell me if you feel a little sloppy. mentally tougher than the heat...

well thats the entire point. The coaches are stressing that players need to fight through it to focus and be sharp mentally. If they go down to MTSU and its 90+ degrees is it ok to play sloppy and unfocused simply because its hot? Honest question, have you played football before? Because coaches all over the country from high school on up are saying the exact same thing to players.

well thats the entire point. The coaches are stressing that players need to fight through it to focus and be sharp mentally. If they go down to MTSU and its 90+ degrees is it ok to play sloppy and unfocused simply because its hot? Honest question, have you played football before? Because coaches all over the country from high school on up are saying the exact same thing to players.

I'm with you on your point, but it would be awesome if nobody played the "have you ever played?" card.

Yes I have played football before oleboy...your point is very valid. I've got nothing to say to that. Oleboy 1 go4fan 0.

Honest question, have you played football before?
, This is Oleboy41's take on everything, he always reverts back to the same questions. You can't have an opinion unless you have done _______________! You can't possibly know anything about anything unless you have done _______________________! Same thing different day.

Rosen and Common had the same take and its WAY off base.

There is a HUGE difference between the health/hydration and the "woe is me, its hot out."

When guys are thinking more about the heat than what they are doing, they are not mentally strong enough. The same is true for the cold. Some guys are so wrapped up in the cold, they perform well below what they could if they were mentally tougher.

This does NOT mean you play through sickness or heat issues. That is a TOTALLY different issue all together.

Some guys are simply hot and perfectly healthy.

If you have heat issues, you step out and the doctors tend to you.

If you are healthy, you have to be mentally sharp and block it out.

It will be hot in Middle Tennesse, so its something they will need to be mentally ready for.

Bud Grant would not allow the cold to get to the Vikings. Mental Toughness is everything!

As usual oleboy41 is correct. The rule of thumb is if you have to play in it, you had better practice in it. It is better to experience extreme heat in a controlled environment like practice than in a the middle of an actual game where players can get caught up in the game and miss their bodies warning signs (or not recognize the signs because they have never played in extreme heat).

, This is Oleboy41's take on everything, he always reverts back to the same questions. You can't have an opinion unless you have done _______________! You can't possibly know anything about anything unless you have done _______________________! Same thing different day.

Honest question, have you posted on a forum before?

I literally can't recall another time I've said anything like that. In fact I so rarely post on GH anymore that it amazes me that you think you have a handle on my posting style. Please feel free to check my posting history and show where I've done that. It shouldn't be tough because its supposedly my response to everything. I'll wait...

I'm with you on your point, but it would be awesome if nobody played the "have you ever played?" card.

Yes I have played football before oleboy...your point is very valid. I've got nothing to say to that. Oleboy 1 go4fan 0.

My bad. I didn't mean it to come off like that, just trying to point out that its a common theme among coaches this time of year.

Pickle juice, lots of pickle juice. Baylor had us play a day game at Waco with the temp well up in the nineties. The guys drank pickle juice until it was coming out of their ears all week. We played a good game and won easily. Pickle juice.

You're way off base. Any coach in the world will tell you that the heat is no excuse for sloppy play or for a lack o hard work. The same thing is being said around the country. Before wishing someone should shut up you may want to be certain that you're not the one who's wrong

Heat impacts physical performance. You have to adjust to the conditions to get the most out of your practice. You can't expect players to adjust. Usually the mind and body work together, disregarding that is dangerous. These players are not acclimated to this heat. It takes time.

Heat impacts physical performance. You have to adjust to the conditions to get the most out of your practice. You can't expect players to adjust. Usually the mind and body work together, disregarding that is dangerous. These players are not acclimated to this heat. It takes time.

Why can't you expect the players to adjust? Of course you hydrate guys and make sure they're not suffering real damage but what really happens is that heat creates exhaustion and as a coach you want your team to stay mentally tough no matter what the conditions. Heat, rain, cold, wind, etc can all affect performance if you aren't mentally tough. That's what Brewster is trying to say. If we go down to MTSU and its hot and we play sloppy and unfocused its not like Brewster will get a pass by saying 'you know my guys just weren't used to the heat'. He'd get obliterated by every media outlet that cares.

Top Bottom