Notes - 8/9/10

Reaction score
Devin Coleman

Coleman listed a top 5 a couple of days ago, with Iowa as one of his top 2 and Minnesota in the top 5.

Today he says Iowa pulled the scholarship offer and that he found out via the public vs. McCaffery or his assistants: “They basically told me that I waited too long and that they got a commitment from someone else,” said Coleman, who talked with Francis and McCaffery. “It was random, if you ask me, especially since they went public with it before they told me. I know it’s a business and I know they’re going to recruit other players, but it would seem that they would tell me first.”

Is there something about Philly?! Anyway, it's always seemed like he would stay out east, but with Iowa up there and Minnesota still in play looked like there was a chance... now Devin says Iowa was in his top 2 (probably with Rutgers)... and that he was planning to cut the list to three soon... we'll see where this one goes, but still seems like the Twin Cities may be a little far for him (and his apparent issues with being too far from home are perhaps concerning - then again, it's a high school kid.. many are worried about leaving for college.. while some of us could hardly wait).

6/12/10 post on Devin Coleman
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=18101

-------
Mbakwe Trial

Status update on the trial is set for later this week (8/12). 8/23 is still the tentative trial date. If that date is not going to be a go, we may find out this week. But, one development does make it appear that things may be progressing.

Last week a motion was filed to allow Reverse Williams Rule evidence. (Any of our attorneys here - please correct me if my ignorance results in nonsense-talk) The Williams Rule is included in the Florida statutes... the prosecution can have certain evidence of similar crimes admissible at trial to show the defendant's M.O., intent, knowledge, etc. For example, if some creep is on trial for abusing a kid, and has done so several other times, some of the facts around those convictions may be admissible... however, the evidence cannot be presented just to show 'bad character' of the defendant... it must be presented only if it has relevance to the current case... it can be difficult to bring evidence into trial about the past criminal behavior of a guy, but yet say that evidence does not show that the guy has a criminal propensity, rather it just shows his M.O... starts to sound like the same thing... and for this reason, complaints about Williams Rule evidence are often brought up when it comes to appeal time.

Reverse Williams Rule evidence is brought by the defense. I would assume that in the Mbakwe matter, the defense is asking to be able to present evidence of similar crimes in the area when it was known that Mbakwe was out of the state. We have heard talk about this being the case and obviously it's a something the defense would want to talk about with the jury... if there are similar crimes committed that could not have been committed by the defendant, it can certainly cast doubt in the mind of a juror. But, it may be a tough sell to get this evidence admitted.
----

TaShawn Thomas

Yesterday I had posted about the kid because I thought his name may come up more in the future. Today it did...list of 8: California, Houston, Minnesota, Texas Tech, Memphis, Colorado, Colorado State, and Sam Houston State.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=18914

----------
Commitments

Isaiah Austin's name had come up a few weeks ago -

I don't think warranted it's own thread but I saw this tweeted from Ryan James yesterday- A college coach just told me that 2012 5 star Isaiah Austin, the second ranked player in his class, may move back to Minnesota.

Tonight he committed to Baylor. 2012 stud.

I4 got a commitment tonight from 2012 C Peter Jurkin. The name fits Indiana well, but he actually looks to be a solid pick up for them.

In news somewhat related to Peter Jurkin, 6'8" Texas power forward Jonathan Holmes has a pair. He says he is down to Texas and Texas A&M... like Devin Coleman, he has expressed a desire to stay near home. Both Purdue and Illinois had shown interest in Holmes, who reportedly has a vertical of more than 14".

that makes no sense a 14 inch verticle? thats terrible! 40 year old white men jump higher than that

Perhaps I'm not paying the attention I once did, but the recruiting hauls that Scott Drew has recently had really make one wonder how he's recruiting the likes of Perry Jones and Austin to Waco. To be fair, since he's arrived at Baylor he's had solid recruiting success, bringing in top recruits like LaceDarius Dunn, Tweety Carter, Curtis Jerrells, etc. However, he's taken the step up to the next level, pretty rarefied air in recruiting, especially considering what Baylor was overcoming when he took the job.

So. . .is he clean? I know that he hired one of the Clifton brothers in an aim to lure John Wall, but how is he getting the likes of Jones and Austin onto campus?

Top Bottom