Thoughts on Recruiting and 2010

ncgo4

Reaction score
This is the year we find out. We find out if Coach Brew can really identify talent. We also find out if some stability in coaching really makes a difference. Most importantly we find out if the group can create and manage a game plan and coach when it counts.

This is the first year we get a full Brewster class of red-shirted freshmen along with several upper classmate he recruited and a couple of impact real frosh players. The increase in speed and athleticism and the upgrade in conditioning will be quickly judged.

I for one expect a major uptick in talent. On paper it's a world of difference and I expect it will be the case on the field. I don't think we should beat Penn State or OSU yet but we should be on a par with Iowa and Wisky and absolutely win the others. The wild card will be USC, who knows what is in their minds.

The key will be the running game. If we can run, then we'll be able to pass. We'll also keep the D off the field and surprise in the W-L column.

I for one am looking forward to this season like none other I can remember!

Go Gold!

Some of your questions have been addressed over the past three seasons. Based on my personal assessment of those three years I would suggest we need a lot of new pieces to come together on both sides of the ball and in the coaching area. You would do well to revisit what you have seen over the past three years and hold your euphoria in check until you see some serious outcomes on the actual field of Big Ten combat. The proof is in the pudding, not the platitudes. Less than four weeks before the real data starts to come in.

Some of your questions have been addressed over the past three seasons. Based on my personal assessment of those three years I would suggest we need a lot of new pieces to come together on both sides of the ball and in the coaching area. You would do well to revisit what you have seen over the past three years and hold your euphoria in check until you see some serious outcomes on the actual field of Big Ten combat. The proof is in the pudding, not the platitudes. Less than four weeks before the real data starts to come in.
BULL!! the preseason should be a time for optimisms for a change it might not be misplaced. Sure a lot of pieces are untried and might not work but for a change the upside potential could lead to us having a great season. Even if only some of them work it will be evidence that perhaps Brewster's the right guy. My chili is hot let the season begin!

"Bull" what? We have learned nothing about the coach over the past three years? I don't think I would ever admit that.

BULL!! the preseason should be a time for optimisms for a change it might not be misplaced. Sure a lot of pieces are untried and might not work but for a change the upside potential could lead to us having a great season. Even if only some of them work it will be evidence that perhaps Brewster's the right guy. My chili is hot let the season begin!

Ditto.

I think the original post is why so many are more excited this year than we have been for a long time. Up to now all we've seen are Juco's, transfers and a small number of freshmen gain reps.

This is the year when Brews recruits are at every position with depth. This is the year we finally see what athleticism means. It is very exciting and is the whole reason Brew was brought here.

Does this mean Roses? No it simply means we get to see a whole team starting to build something. We finally get to see what Brew's program is all about. I've been waiting for this year since he got here.

It's a great post Ncg4, this is precisely the thoughts that have kept many of us focused and committed to this program.

"Bull" what? We have learned nothing about the coach over the past three years? I don't think I would ever admit that.

D!ck, d!ck, the d!ck is baaa-ack! Usually you should post 100 times or so before you reveal your troll status...

Gopherhurrin should not use the word 'we' when describing Gopher fans...he is not one

Gopherhurrin should not use the word 'we' when describing Gopher fans...he is not one

Well I'd agree. He's a realist and belongs in that group. He certainly is not with many of you in the kool-aid group. What's nice about the realist group is that if we win, we are just as excited as you are. And if this season goes as poor as many of us think it might, then we'll be unhappily right.

I must say I agree with the OP. This is the year to put up or shut up. This is Brew's team now. There are no further excuses. He has had plenty of opportunity to recruit a stud at every position. So if we start the year and watch our OLine be overmatched by Middle Tennessee, then we'll know we're in for a long year. We need a lot of things to go right to have a winning record. The entire OLine needs to be twice as good as last year. Weber needs to become an average Big 10 QB. We need to find a running game (at least we have 5 RB's this year who can contribute). There is an argument that both Weber and the running game have struggled because of the porous offensive line, and that is a fair point. We had a slightly above average defense last year, but they are certainly an unknown going into this year. I do think they will once again be the strength of the team.

That's right, because we all know you can't be a Gopher fan unless you gulp the kool-aid, chow down on the nonsensical BS and roll in brewster's hyperbole until you smell like a barnyard! Everyone else is just a troll or from WI.

Who's drinking kool aid? It doesn't take a genius to see that we are returning our entire offensive line, RB's, and a 3 year starting QB on offense and have a defense that returns a lot of young potential that gained vaulable playing experience last year.

Hageman, Cooper, Olson, Kirksey, Wilhite, Tinsley, Carter are reason's I'm excited....not Kool Aid.

That's right, because we all know you can't be a Gopher fan unless you gulp the kool-aid, chow down on the nonsensical BS and roll in brewster's hyperbole until you smell like a barnyard! Everyone else is just a troll or from WI.

Maybe not a troll but anybody who thinks that "This is the year we find out. We find out if Coach Brew can really identify talent. We also find out if some stability in coaching really makes a difference. Most importantly we find out if the group can create and manage a game plan and coach when it counts.

Is equal to gulp(ing) the kool-aid, chow(ing) down on the nonsensical BS and roll(ing) in brewster's hyperbole until you smell like a barnyard!

is probably at least an Iowa fan and/or a doucebag. :rolleyes:

Let's just say Gopherhurrin is displaying many traits of a certain poster from years past who is no longer welcome here. You would think by the fifth or sixth time he returns under a different moniker, he'd learn to disguise himself a little better...

So many opinions, so little knowledge.....Gopherhurrin, Sparlimp.
It takes upper classmen to win in the Big 10, that means 4th year Juniors and 5th year Seniors.
This year Coach Brewster will field (his recruits) 3rd year Juniors and 3rd year Redshirt Sophomores and 2nd year Redshirt Freshmen and 1st year true Freshmen. If you truly want to judge Coach Brewsters recruiting you need to wait until the end of the 2012 season.
Any convictions before then would only exemplify ones ignorance!
Go Gophers

so true.

So many opinions, so little knowledge.....Gopherhurrin, Sparlimp.
It takes upper classmen to win in the Big 10, that means 4th year Juniors and 5th year Seniors.
This year Coach Brewster will field (his recruits) 3rd year Juniors and 3rd year Redshirt Sophomores and 2nd year Redshirt Freshmen and 1st year true Freshmen. If you truly want to judge Coach Brewsters recruiting you need to wait until the end of the 2012 season.
Any convictions before then would only exemplify ones ignorance!
Go Gophers

+1
Kool-aid drinking= The greatest Gopher Team ever
Positivity= I think we can be better than the predictions
Realism before the first game= I don't know.
pessimism=This might be a long season
Troll= "That's right, because we all know you can't be a Gopher fan unless you gulp the kool-aid, chow down on the nonsensical BS and roll in brewster's hyperbole until you smell like a barnyard! "

Because they are young and inexperienced I think the first couple of games could set the tone for the season. They have talent but they need to find their groove and gain confidence. I am afraid the first game is going to have a greater impact because of this. I think they can really use that as a catalyst for a successfull season. Lose that game and it is going to be a struggle. Football is such an emotional game that a little momentum would really help.

GopherSOB. Sorry to disagree. By the end of this season we can and should expect to what is true every year. Second year players with top talent will emerge as superior Big Ten football players. The Spaeth's, Decker's and Barber's of this world quickly make an impact on the field.

Gopherhurrin, I would never dispute that some under classmen will become superior Big Ten football palyers, some will without question and it happens every year. To win consistantly in the Big Ten confernece year in and year out a team must build its nucleus around upper classmen and then complement them with the younger standouts.

Gopherhurrin, I would never dispute that some under classmen will become superior Big Ten football palyers, some will without question and it happens every year. To win consistantly in the Big Ten confernece year in and year out a team must build its nucleus around upper classmen and then complement them with the younger standouts.

I completely agree SOB. My point is that people pass off Brew's awful Big Ten and Rivals record in his first three seasons as something caused by lack of talent left from the last regime. And that may be, but the same coach has now had 3 full seasons to recruit better players than were left behind. He has done that on defense, but our offense is much worse than it was when he took over. So while you and I wait for 2035 and Brew's first real good class to come through, I'm wondering where any of the "younger standouts" are. Carter is as close as we have gotten and he was prety much forced into action due to no real depth at cb. You can't say Brew didn't win because Weber sucks and then argue you can't judge his qb recruiting ability because we haven't seen any of his recruits start. Either he recruited someone better than Weber or he didn't...

The last regime would have probably won more games last year because many of those players were Masons players especially on defense and his offensive teams were way better than Brewster has been able to put together so far no matter how well he recruits. Truthfully, the last regime had better field coaching so far but hopefully Brewster turns the corner this year with better athletes and coaching.

Top Bottom