Wisconsin nonconference schedule finalized (#5 of 12)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
This isn't the strongest schedule Bo has put together, with the home schedule being particularly weak & uninteresting. However, it still provides ample tests. The Old Spice Classic has a really solid field. The Badgers are assured of playing two quality opponents (perhaps Texas A&M and Georgia?) after they beat up on Manhattan in the quarterfinals. At UNLV, NC State at the Kohl Center and at Marquette won't be easy, either.

Nov. 14: PRAIRIE VIEW A&M (272)
Nov. 16: NORTH DAKOTA (339)
Nov. 20: at UNLV (48)
Nov. 25: vs. Manhattan (226) -- Old Spice Classic
Nov. 26: vs. Texas A&M (13) or Boston College (125) -- Old Spice Classic
Nov. 28: vs. Temple (8), Cal (20), Notre Dame (49) or Georgia (106) -- Old Spice Classic
Dec. 1: NC STATE (98)
Dec. 4: SOUTH DAKOTA (216)
Dec. 8: MILWAUKEE (130)
Dec. 11: at Marquette (50)
Dec. 13: GREEN BAY (107)
Dec. 23: COPPIN STATE (337)

Average RPI/All Opponents: 182.3
Average RPI/Home Opponents: 214.142
2010 NCAA Tournament Qualifiers (2): Marquette, UNLV

BIG TEN NONCONFERENCE SCHEDULE RANKINGS (5 of 12 complete)
Average RPI/All Opponents
1. GOPHERS (133.5)
2. Penn State (144.272)
3. Iowa (158.8)
4. Purdue (163.083)
5. Wisconsin (182.3)

Average RPI/Home Opponents
1. GOPHERS (127.375)
2. Penn State (163)
3. Iowa (193.142)
4. Purdue (207.142)
5. Wisconsin (214.142)

Nice to see the Gophers holding on to that top spot, at least until MSU releases their schedule. Should help MN solidify their NCAA resume.

Nice to see the Gophers holding on to that top spot, at least until MSU releases their schedule. Should help MN solidify their NCAA resume.

These numbers are based on last year's RPI so it's by no means indicative of the upcoming season's SOS. I totally understand what Hodger is doing and he's using the best information available at this time. A good example is Cornell and Siena from the Gophs schedule. Both teams made the NCAA Tournament last year and were media darlings but both teams lost a bunch of players (i.e. Wittman) and neither team will be anywhere neart as good this year. Wofford, on the other hand, has a chance to be a decent club with Dahlmann and Rundles.

For the most part, I agree with Art. The Gophers should roll over Cornell.

Wofford won't be a gimme', and I don't expect Siena -- though likely not as good as they've been the past 3 seasons -- to roll over for the Gophers, either. Siena lost a lot, but they still have some pretty good players coming back, Rossiter, Jackson and Anosike (the younger brother of the Lynx player). I expect Virginia, Akron & Western Kentucky to compete well with the Gophers, as well.

Bottom line is since Tubby's arrival the Gophers have been toward the bottom of this Big Ten list (7th or lower) every season I've done this. That won't be the case this season. There is improvement, and I would expect it to continue next season.

Hodger, I'm sure you have this info saved. Is it possible to see an RPI "before/after" snapshot of each B10 team's schedule from last year when you do this in August and then again after the season?

I don't have it saved, but I believe I posted it sometime after last season ended.

Top Bottom