SI Vault Notes That Gopher Defense May Be Better

Uh... they called Carufel the best guy on the OL. Credibility lost.

Check out the date, SI Vault can see into the future, it seems.

Yes, I saw that. A little anticipatory writing I guess; I mean, they guess:D. What struck me was how average our D last year's stats turned out to be. The reason guys had so many tackles is because we could not get off the field on 3rd down and part of the higher pass defense ranking is attributable to ineffective run defense on key downs as well. That is why none of our guys made all conference 1st or 2nd team. WHY ARE PEOPLE SO WORRIED ABOUT HAVING NEW STARTERS? Lets see, Edwards was an Under Armor All American and has good experience playing last year along with our co- coptain Kirksey who our Head Coach assesses as a potential Conference best at his position; all of the LBs have played and have quality upside and are faster as a group with elite talent in Cooper; our co-captain, Royston is ahead of schedule on his return but states unequivocally that even if he is at all delayed, he has confidence in the talent exhibited playing next to him in the Spring of Kenny Watkins and Chistyn Lewis to step in and perform well; Theret has 32 games starting experience and Carter has a skill set that will likely lift him among the conference's best at his position. WHAT'S THE ISSUE? We have continuity and chemistry in the defensive coaching staff to coach through the changes. Frankly, I anticipate the Gophers will surprize.

Don't forget Cooper who will play at the next level. The talent is very un-Minnesotan on Defense. With sustained offensive drives, and a rested defense, I think we're really going to like what we see.

If the defense can improve, or even just stay more or less the same, itcould blow the most dire predictions out of the water.

The defense will be adequate to go bowling if the offense does not go 3 and out repeatedly.

The defense will be adequate to go bowling if the offense does not go 3 and out repeatedly.

Agree. This year's record is going to be dictated by the O-Line. If they have improved, that will mean a better running game, that and better pass protection could allow Adam Weber to feel confident again and perform well. All this helps keep the defense off the field.

Top Bottom