Do you feel better about this program then you did 1 year ago?

Do you feel more optimistic about this program now then 1 year ago?

• Yes-Any way you cut it 7-5 is better then 1-11

Votes: 46 70.8%
  • It's a wash. The last 4 weeks felt like 11 losses

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • No. 55-0. Worst Big Ten loss ever. Even last year's team couldn't do that.

Votes: 12 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

howeda7

Reaction score
A month ago this would have been a ridiculous question, but now I think it is a valid one.

I can't say I feel any worse about this program then I did after a 1-11 season, but sadly, I don't feel any better either. For all the talk of a great turnaround, the reality is that we didn't beat anyone that is likely to finish above .500. And the last 4 games have been varying degrees of pathetic. Tonight of course tops it all. This wasn't just a loss, it was a set-your-program-back debacle. A complete embarassment. It ensured fan interest will remain at the same barely-has-a-pulse level it has for years. The new stadium will provide a brief blip, but it will fade soon enough.

The jury on Brewster the recruiter is still out. But the verdict on Brewster the day-to-day coach is not positive. 55-0 against a medicore Iowa team doesn't just happen. It requires a complete lack of preparation and it requires the team to quit on you. Both clearly happened tonight. I have yet to see a Big 10 game in Brewster's tenure where I felt we out-coached the other team, with the possible of exception of this year's Illinois game.

Even if Brewster continues to recruit well by Minnesota standards, we will never have talent so good it will win in spite of poor coaching. We will also need to be able to out-coach the Ohio State's and Michigan's of the world if we are to ever beat them consistantly. I see no signs in Brewster or his staff of this ability.

The reality is that given the choice between average players and good coaching or above-average players and poor coaching, Minnesota is far better off going with the first choice. This is basically what we had with Mason. I understand the hope was to get the best of both worlds, but it does not appear that Brewster is capable of it.

So, am I advocating Brewster's firing? No, not really. It would be tough to do after two years and with the 'big' turn-around we made. But with guys like Phil Fulmer and Tommy Bowden floating around unemployed, the thought has certainly crossed my mind.

Yes, clearly an improvement. Just make today go away.

No disrepect to the players, but we are playing with a glorified high school team. It seems like every player on the field, except for a handful of them, was either a redshirt, in junior college, or in high school last year. I still have faith in Brewster. He has a plan. I have lost faith in Dunbar. Weber has to improve. We will grow with this year's freshman class. Each class after this will add to this years group. We won 7 games. We made a bowl game. We won Big 10 games on the road.

The most important part of the bowl season is the fact that we get 4 extra weeks of practice for our young kids.

good post

right on the mark

howeda, I dissagree on so many of your points that I don't want to even waste my time delving into each one of them. It just gets me too upset. I just want to focus on the positives.

The program went beyond almost everyone's expectations this year from what they had before the season started, myself included. Before the Northwestern game I was looking forward to a Rose Bowl. Obviously, after 4 straight losses, my expectations came crashing back to earth. Yet, the morning after a crushing 55-0 defeat at the hands of one of our two biggest rivals, I am energized and am already looking forward to whatever bowl game we are invited to. I am tremendously (drink) enthused about the direction of the program because of the influx of talent that Tim Brewster is bringing to this team. The quality of players that he is bringing here is unlike anything the Gophers have had here EVER! For Gophers fans to not be able to see that utterly confounds me. I suppose it's because most people don't follow recruiting as closely as some of the board members here.

Don't worry, Gopher faithful, if Tim Brewster continues to bring in the caliber of players that he has we will be going to January bowl game on an annual basis. Why can't people see that?

Most people aren't critical thinkers. It's a journey, from point A to point B. The only question is are we closer to the goal than we were last year? If we are, and i think it's obvious that we are, that's all we need to know to continue to support this program and staff. When we languish at the same point year after year it's time to consider the inuputs and make an adjustment. That's where we were with Mase, he was a good coach, but hit his ceiling here and we were not OK with that. Now it's Brews turn. Until he stops improving we're still on our way to our goal with his staff at the helm.

I think recruiting is better than it was a few years ago. Maybe not in the skill position department..yet...but in the Big10 games are won and lost in the trenches and take a good look at the in-state commits the Gophs have for next season. Lots of size..

OUr defense couldn't stop anyone last year, ever. It was the most pathetic defense I have ever seen. I never felt we had a chance in any game because of that.

Sure we played awful yesterday, but taking the season as a whole, we have improved.

Agree,

fans always overreact to any win or loss. Especially when you get beat 55-0 :mad:

Having said that, if anyone honestly thought this team would win three Big Ten games before the season, they would have been pegged as being overly optimistic.

Building a football program takes time. There are too many players and holes that have to be filled all at once and the numbers alone beg for a passage of time before knowing what exactly you have.

Just hope the coaches and players decide to use this as motivation rather than simply feel sorry for themselves.

Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting

Teams with the best talent usually win...we will have the 3rd or 4th best talent in the Big 10 within 2 years...we can and will win.

The only reason there was talk about "turning the program around" was because last year was so abysmal. This team could be 3-9 right now and people would still say things are "looking better" by default. Yes, on paper, 7-5 is better than 1-11 but this program is right back to where it was 2 years ago before Brewster was hired. I love the kool-aid drinking folks around here. You certainly keep me entertained while watching a team get beat 55-0.....at home no less. For that I thank you!! This team played 4 high school teams in non-conference, played several teams using back-up QB's and/or RB's, played the worst Michigan team in history at home and got throttled, and didn't have to play 2 of the top 3 teams in the conference. For this they will probably hang a banner in the new stadium for a 6th place finish because golly gee whiz.....that's good enough for folks around here....

The only reason there was talk about "turning the program around" was because last year was so abysmal. This team could be 3-9 right now and people would still say things are "looking better" by default. Yes, on paper, 7-5 is better than 1-11 but this program is right back to where it was 2 years ago before Brewster was hired. I love the kool-aid drinking folks around here. You certainly keep me entertained while watching a team get beat 55-0.....at home no less. For that I thank you!! This team played 4 high school teams in non-conference, played several teams using back-up QB's and/or RB's, played the worst Michigan team in history at home and got throttled, and didn't have to play 2 of the top 3 teams in the conference. For this they will probably hang a banner in the new stadium for a 6th place finish because golly gee whiz.....that's good enough for folks around here....
Maybe I don't "get" message boards, but if you have so much contempt for people around here why bother having conversations with them?

Yes and reasons are:
1. Ted Roof
2. Better talent on D.
3. A QB coming who will likely fit into the spread.
4. Very young players on offense
5. Brewster keeps on attracting higher rated HS players

Yes

I feel better about the program and have grown in my confidence in TB to lead the program. Ted Roof has brought our defense to respectability with limited talent. We have onboarded a top 25 (or so) recruiting class. We are on our way to another top half of the BT signing class. We are moving outdoors on-campus. We won games in the Big Ten and on the road. Obviously I have a list of things I am not happy about but that is another matter.

This One is Right On

OUr defense couldn't stop anyone last year, ever. It was the most pathetic defense I have ever seen. I never felt we had a chance in any game because of that.

Sure we played awful yesterday, but taking the season as a whole, we have improved.

Yesterday asside this team is far and away improved over last year.

Also Iowa is much improved over its early season struggles.

Top Bottom