Schools that could replace Texas

drunkenMNgopher

Section 135
Reaction score
Just did some research. These are schools that as of right now have no games scheduled for 9/19/15 and 9/17/16. These schools also don't have any other Big 10 schools on their schedule or a team we've played in the last 3 years or have a future game against. Also, these are BCS conference schools + MWC.

SCHOOLS:
Arizona, Auburn, Boise State, BYU, Clemson (maybe), Connecticut, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, NC State, Oregon, Rutgers, San Diego State, South Carolina, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Utah, Vanderbuilt, Virginia, Washington State.

There would be a lot more schools available if we weren't just looking for a home and home on those two days. And who knows if thats what Maturi is looking for. And there are also TBA's on some of these teams schedules (most notable is Clemson). So this may be a narrowing down of sorts. Hopefully we all won't be disappointed with the upcoming announcement. Or maybe Joel can talk another big school out of a contract to play us (ala Notre Dame with Texas).

I personally would love to see it filled with two different schools and see them fill future dates on schedule in 2017 and 2018.

I do have a hard time picturing Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, South Carolina or Texas A&M picking us up for a home and home.

Speaking selfishly, I would love to see us play SDSU, Arizona or Utah because I could drive to the away game from LA. I would love to see more teams on the West Coast, too (BYU, WSU). I'm sure Brewster would like to line up a team from Florida/Texas to sell to the recruits.

Thanks for the research!

My favorite of that list is:

Utah, Kansas, Oregon, UConn, Virginia.

We would be absolutely foolish to set up a home and home with Utah or Boise State for a number of reasons. The first of which is: a win gets you nothing. Let's pretend we beat #5 Boise State in Idaho this season... then, it's just "well, they are a small school and it's a down year." If we beat a team like Florida State, Clemson, or Georgia, it's against a traditional power in a state that is a wealth of high school football talent. (alright, saying S.C. is a "wealth of talent" may be an exaggeration, but you get my point).

The second is the uncertainty regarding their future conference affiliations and the possibility they would pull a Texas and bail out on the game.

I disagree, Utah and Boise State have elevated themselves beyond the point where no one gives you credit for beating them or where you get ridiculed for losing to them. In any case, Utah will have been a Pac-10 team for a few years by that point. Now, that Blue turf, that's a reason not to play there. It's a freakish distraction.

Just did some research. These are schools that as of right now have no games scheduled for 9/19/15 and 9/17/16. These schools also don't have any other Big 10 schools on their schedule or a team we've played in the last 3 years or have a future game against. Also, these are BCS conference schools + MWC.

SCHOOLS:
Arizona, Auburn, Boise State, BYU, Clemson (maybe), Connecticut, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, NC State, Oregon, Rutgers, San Diego State, South Carolina, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Utah, Vanderbuilt, Virginia, Washington State.

There would be a lot more schools available if we weren't just looking for a home and home on those two days. And who knows if thats what Maturi is looking for. And there are also TBA's on some of these teams schedules (most notable is Clemson). So this may be a narrowing down of sorts. Hopefully we all won't be disappointed with the upcoming announcement. Or maybe Joel can talk another big school out of a contract to play us (ala Notre Dame with Texas).

Really great research here, thanks Drunken!

There aren't many schools on that list that could truly "replace" Texas, BUT the list is full of really solid programs that in most years would be really good wins for the Gophers.

I would much prefer schools that require reading and writing in order to graduate.

Florida State is on that list. I've mentioned them before. Think that would be a great game with lots of good exposure for Florida recruits. Still a helmet school but a very winnable matchup as well.

They will likely go west. Few of those southern schools will play a home and home with a B10 team, even if they think they'd win both. Florida hasn't played an out of conference game outside the state in a dozen years for example.

I like Oregon but think it will more likely be Arizona or WSU.

If we go to a nine game Big Ten schedule, do we really want to replace Texas with anything other than a cream puff?

I like TCU. You still get the Texas exposure for recruiting and the team speed is a good benchmark for us.

Florida State is not an option. The University will not schedule home non-conference games with teams that have Indian nicknames.

Supposedly its nearly set.

I am not sure who it is going to be as Maturi and Brewster have both indicated they are close to announcing who the opponent is going to be. As for me I wouldnt look to schedule anyone until we know what the conference schedule is going to look like. It may cause us to lose an opponent depending on the schedule which could open up a new set of opponents. If the Big Ten increases the number of games to 9 I think its safe to say we would want to rethink who we are scheduling and where those games will be played.

I have a hunch it will be one of the florida or texas schools. You don't replace a premier opponent with anything less than that. I don't want KU or Utah or Arizona or anything like that. It will be a big name and should be. Plus playing those florida and texas schools will give some of our recruits/players the opportunity to play against their home team.

I have a hunch it will be one of the florida or texas schools.

It absolutely will not be Florida. As stated above, Florida doesn't leave their home state to play non-conference games (it's actually been almost 20 years now, since playing at Syracuse). Plus, outside of bowl games, Big Ten teams do not play SEC teams. The only exception is Vanderbilt, as they are one of two SEC schools worth a damn academically....and I will stand by alltimetwinsfan in hoping for a series with Vandy.

We had a series with Washington State called off a while back, I wouldn't mind seeing that matchup re-visited.

Knowing the SEC the way we do, I'm hoping Kentucky or Vandy would be willing to play us. Cause I have a hunch the Florida's, Georgia's and Auburn/Alabama's of the southeast want nothing to do with us. But, Wazzu would be a nice home and home too. Wouldn't mind one with Virginia either.

Great research. I'd go with Missouri, with which we've had some great games in the past. I'd also like to see Missouri in the Big Ten some day.

Why not do like B10 does is basketball-B10/ACC Challenge.

B10/Pac10(now with 12 teams) Football Challenge.

If the B10 goes to a nine game schedule I would think the two conferences could work out the #of home games issue.

This would still leave three cupcakes or two if B10 goes to nine game schedule.-If that's what they desire.

Top Bottom