Never ceases to amaze me..

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Gotta love the Bucky fans on here, pounding your chest and grandstanding about your own perceived superiority. Is that necessary to validate your own existence or significance? Perhaps it makes you feel like you're doing your own part for the team in fighting the good fight? Hasn't it ever crossed your mind that your comments and the nature/tone in which they're conveyed actually does the opposite? Makes you look kind of insecure and petty?

I know it's kind of cold up there this time of year but isn't frequenting your OWN board enough to keep you pacified and entertained? Perhaps you could try reading a book? Some cross-stitch?

By all means, if it makes you feel better about yourself, your community, or your educational institution, go for it. It's kind of amusing that you feel the need to stop by and pay a visit, so thanks for the entertainment.

Now, I think the Hole fans would all agree that there are a few rival posters who bring something to the table, and add some valuable insight from another perspective. UWOle comes to mind for starters, whose input is always welcome I think we would all agree. Nothing wrong with some constructive dialogue and sharing of information.

Gotta admit, it does make for some cheap entertainment though, so in that respect, I'm all for it. Keep doing the Lord's work...

Gotta love the Bucky fans on here, pounding your chest and grandstanding about your own perceived superiority.

"Perceived superiority" - what's the context?

Because if it is state of the program, since Bo Ryan arrived, the UW is the best program in the Big Ten by win percentage. They have three conference titles (more than anyone else) and have 2 tourney titles to go with them. Bo Ryan, in 7+ years has established himself as the winningest coach in the Big Ten HISTORY.

As far as Minnesota v. Wisconsin goes.....it's 12-1 since Bo arrived. I think "perception" of an outsider would concur....Wisconsin IS superior to Minnesota.

Gotta earn it on the court boys. Bo has.

"Gotta admit, it does make for some cheap entertainment though, so in that respect, I'm all for it"

I could not agree more about visiting here! Glad we can entertain each other! My personal favorite is how some guy in the "Bo Ryan" thread suggested that the arrival of Tubby is the decline of Bo Ryan and the UW program. Now THAT is good humor!

Wisconsin has been very good under Bo, better than I ever thought they would be.

The rub in college basketball however, is that the vast majority of sports fans look only at results in March. Since Bo's return to Madison, four other Big Ten teams have reached the Final Four (Indiana, Michigan State, Illinois and Ohio State) and so has the Badgers' No. 1 in-state rival.

Until that changes, Bo will probably not get the credit he deserves as a coach. I respect the hell out of him, but he's on list of candidates for the title of best coach that hasn't reached the Final Four.

Because if it is state of the program, since Bo Ryan arrived, the UW is the best program in the Big Ten by win percentage. They have three conference titles (more than anyone else) and have 2 tourney titles to go with them. Bo Ryan, in 7+ years has established himself as the winningest coach in the Big Ten HISTORY.

2 of those championship teams were dominant enough to be given #8 and #5 seeds in the big dance. A #8 seed to a conference co-champ has got to be a record.

KY vs WI

Lots of similarities between the rabid KY fans and the Becky fans don't you think?

I would tend to agree that the Badger BB program has been head and shoulders about the U of M's for the past 10+ years, and the couple of years that Clem had were wiped out...

I agree that Badger fans can toot their own horns a little too loudly at times, but until the Gophs earn it on the court, they will be subjcet to listening to it.

OH!!!! Now I get it...

Sooooooo, clearly you're also on the boards of Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan, Penn State, Indiana... informing them all of just how inferior they are to the lofty Wisconsin Badger basketball program?

I'm sure all of them, like our lowly selves here on the Gopher Hole, appreciate you for taking the time to clear up any misplaced notions of optimism that any of these programs might have about the future and direction of their respective programs.

And here I thought there was no reason for you to be stopping by and looking down your collective condescending noses at all of us peasants, sharing your tidbits of wisdom and inflated superiority with all of the Gopher basketball fans.

Funny though... while even during the worst years, I've always considered Northwestern and PSU to not be at the level of the Gophers program, and yet I've never once considered visiting their board, registering for a membership, and flaunting it at them.

Interesting concept...

Sooooooo, clearly you're also on the boards of Northwestern, Iowa, Michigan, Penn State, Indiana... informing them all of just how inferior they are to the lofty Wisconsin Badger basketball program?

I'm sure all of them, like our lowly selves here on the Gopher Hole, appreciate you for taking the time to clear up any misplaced notions of optimism that any of these programs might have about the future and direction of their respective programs.

And here I thought there was no reason for you to be stopping by and looking down your collective condescending noses at all of us peasants, sharing your tidbits of wisdom and inflated superiority with all of the Gopher basketball fans.

Funny though... while even during the worst years, I've always considered Northwestern and PSU to not be at the level of the Gophers program, and yet I've never once considered visiting their board, registering for a membership, and flaunting it at them.

Interesting concept...

Well, they can't really say much on the Marquette boards...

2 of those championship teams were dominant enough to be given #8 and #5 seeds in the big dance. A #8 seed to a conference co-champ has got to be a record.

Well being 19-11 as a conference champ probably gives you the 8 seed (that was the year with half the conference tied at 11-5). And they were hosed as a 6 seed and ranked #9 in the country. The selection committee created a second round match-up between 2 top 10 teams (Pitt).

As to the original post, I don't know about anyone else, but I like to talk about match-ups and possible outcomes of a game with opposing fans, whether that's on their board or ours, and since we've only gotten flamers and petty banter on the Wisconsin board for this game, I ventured over here. The only time I can remember being an a-hole on someone else's board was when UW beat Pitt 89-75 in the Kohl a few years back just because the Pitt fans were so pompous and assumed they would mop the court with Wisconsin since they were ranked #2 and had Aaron Gray et al. BoOwnsIzzo has been quite uncivil and dumb with his arguments on here, IMO.

Well being 19-11 as a conference champ probably gives you the 8 seed (that was the year with half the conference tied at 11-5). And they were hosed as a 6 seed and ranked #9 in the country. The selection committee created a second round match-up between 2 top 10 teams (Pitt).

I think you're confusing years, the #6 seed was in 2004.

2002: Big Ten co-champs, #8 NCAA seed.
2003, Big Ten champs, #5 NCAA seed.
2008, Big Ten champs, #3 NCAA seed.

Those are some awfully low seeds for conference champs, which says a lot about how strong the Big Ten was those years.

The Badgers have been a good, consistent program under Bo Ryan. Not great but good. They had success in the BT during some historical down years. However, they've been exposed nationally and are not one of the top 15 programs in the country since 2000 like some Becky fans would like you to believe. Bo is good for their program but they wasted an opportunity. That opportunity presented itself in the tournament. With the BT on the upswing, their market share is shrinking and they have no wins against a top 8 seed in the tourney to show for their run. Bo will always keep them respectable as his system exposes weaknesses of many teams. However, talent wins out in the long run and many programs now are getting an influx of talent to go along with some terrific coaches coming into the league. If I were a Badger fan, I'd be thinking about the missed opportunity in the tourney under Bo. Things certainly won't be easier for them in the future with the great draws in the tourney and the improved all-around play by the BT.

I think you're confusing years, the #6 seed was in 2004.

2002: Big Ten co-champs, #8 NCAA seed.
2003, Big Ten champs, #5 NCAA seed.
2008, Big Ten champs, #3 NCAA seed.

Those are some awfully low seeds for conference champs, which says a lot about how strong the Big Ten was those years.

You're right. I think that 5 seed year they were 25-6 or so, and that was the Elite Eight season, but I could be wrong. Hopefully the Big Ten is gaining back the strength it had in the early 90's, where 12-6 in conference was a great year and might even win the title.

Yeah Bo definitely gets whiny, but what coach doesn't at times? I don't like the Badger program one bit. I hate them. But, I really respect and am impressed by what Ryan has been able to do in Wisky. He has had our number the past few years. I just have a feeling things are going to change with Tubby at Minnesota's helm.

The Big Ten has changed

Right, Pewter - There have been some teams who could be counted upon for some easy wins, our team being one of them, and Michigan, Penn State, Purdue, Northwestern. I think those days are gone. Much of the BT has upgraded in the coaching department - not just Tubby @ Minnesota, also Beilein @ Michigan, Painter at Purdue, Crean at Indiana, Lickliter at Iowa. All upgrades in my opinion. And both Penn State and Northwestern are surprising me this year at time (NW leading PU at this moment by 13).
Bo will have to earn it on the court all over again. The past is just that: the past. I'm not convinced that anyone besides Michigan State is going to dominate. We'll see.

Moonlight -- Purdue is puzzling...do they miss Scott Martin that much? I'm beginning to think they might.

No one can really argue which program has had more recent success. No one can argue whose fans are bigger a-holes either. That's fine, it'll make me all the more smug when the script is flipped.

Top Bottom