Done Deal - All Chips In

RyanJamesMN

Chip Armelin just said, "I committed to Minnesota and will be on campus September 1st"

wtf no!!!!!! we dont even need SG this takes up a scholly that could go to tharpe or coleman or oglesby or hollins this gives us 2 schollys if oto stays why? this guy better be worth it no more ahanmisis just because

wtf no!!!!!! we dont even need SG this takes up a scholly that could go to tharpe or coleman or oglesby or hollins this gives us 2 schollys if oto stays why? this guy better be worth it no more ahanmisis just because

Remember, there are a lot of variables with current guys.

And, there are always a lot of variables in college bball.

And.. no one is signing guys to 4-yr contracts. These are one year scholarships.

Take it easy, we could still pick up at least three of them...

GophersNow

Louisiana SG Chip Armelin told me tonight he commtted to Minnesota. He's joining the team in September.

And.. no one is signing guys to 4-yr contracts. These are one year scholarships.

This is quite clear. I don't think anyone should get too worked up about our scholarship situation. It will all work out just fine.

Another tweet from Marcus:

"Armelin won't be able to play on the foreign tour with the Gophers, because he didn't attend summer school. But he said he's still excited."

Go Gophers!!

I agree, those scholarships will all work out one way or the other. (Hey, deeper in Ryan James tweets looks as if the Gophers offered Adam Woodbury, 2012, from Sioux City. A center who shoots left handed.)

Hope it works out. I really don't want to see the program stay stagnant or go backwards.

I think he is a promising recruit. Lots of basketball skills.

I would love it if you didn't make statements like this unless you're basing it off of something you know first hand. Stating facts when you don't know they're fact is getting kind of annoying.

From ESPN
Chip Armelin | SG

Hometown Sulphur, LA
High School Sulphur High School
Position rank Shooting Guard # 301
Height 6'3"
Weight 185 lbs.
Last Updated: 8/5/2010 Data provided by Scouts, Inc.
Evaluation / Notes On the Trail / Features
Status

Undeclared
Scouts Grade

Considering: No schools at this time.
Evaluation

December, 2009: The lefty from Louisiana showed a nice stroke from behind the arc with good range out to 22'. He has good ball skills in both transition and the half court. He can get his own shot when he needs to. He is a good athlete who can finish at...

One star player in other reports....nobody seemed interested in him from what I can find. LSU talked to him...didn't offer. Oregon same. At least he's that good but why are other lesser name schools shying away from him? Very interesting to see how it turns out. Hopefully, he earns some playing time. It says he can shoot and is athletic. That would be a good start to developing into a significant contributor, at some point, hopefully.

From ESPN
Chip Armelin | SG

Hometown Sulphur, LA
Height 6'3"
Weight 185 lbs.
Status

Undeclared
Scouts Grade

Evaluation

December, 2009: The lefty from Louisiana showed a nice stroke from behind the arc with good range out to 22'. He has good ball skills in both transition and the half court. He can get his own shot when he needs to. He is a good athlete who can finish at...

One star player in other reports....nobody seemed interested in him from what I can find. LSU talked to him...didn't offer. Oregon same. At least he's that good but why are other lesser name schools shying away from him? Very interesting to see how it turns out. Hopefully, he earns some playing time. It says he can shoot and is athletic. That would be a good start to developing into a significant contributor, at some point, hopefully.

La Tech, Houston, Southern Miss, UTEP, North Texas all were interested.

One of the Top 10 seniors in Louisiana. 3 time All-State player in Class 5A.

From ESPN
Chip Armelin | SG

Hometown Sulphur, LA
Height 6'3"
Weight 185 lbs.
Status

Undeclared
Scouts Grade

Evaluation

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_15700497?nclick_check=1 Other interested schools named here.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr Star Trib article says LSU offered.

The ESPN Evaluation Got Cut Off (Above)

December, 2009: The lefty from Louisiana showed a nice stroke from behind the arc with good range out to 22'. He has good ball skills in both transition and the half court. He can get his own shot when he needs to. He is a good athlete who can finish at the rim with strength. He has a solid body with good bounce off the floor. Chip has very good pace to his game, seemingly never getting sped up.

I thought we had a big time coach...seems like a Monson recruit to me.

I thought we had a big time coach...seems like a Monson recruit to me.

Monson recruit like Damian Johnson? Lawrence Westbrook? Blake Hoffarber? Al Nolen?

3X All-State in Class 5A Louisiana HS basketball.

Played football his senior year of HS.

If that is truly the case then bring back Monson, I would be the first on the badwagon to get rid of Tubby. I don't think that is the case though. He is signing people he thinks will be here for four years and commited to that.

Maybe this kid is great. But I'm guessing there is a reason why the kid is available in August.

My biggest thing is that the Gophers staff has spent a bunch of time since the end of last season recruiting two guys -- Maverick and Chip -- who are kinda head scratchers. I would have rather had them spend that time and energy working on the '11 class.

I'd like to see some tangible progress on the '11 class.

Maybe this kid is great. But I'm guessing there is a reason why the kid is available in August.

My biggest thing is that the Gophers staff has spent a bunch of time since the end of last season recruiting two guys -- Maverick and Chip -- who are kinda head scratchers. I would have rather had them spend that time and energy working on the '11 class.

I'd like to see some tangible progress on the '11 class.

Yes - he played football as HS senior and most schools thought he would take a football scholarship.

Gopher coaches spent nothing close to a "bunch of time" recruiting Ahanmisi or Armelin.

I don't understand how he didn't get more basketball recruitment (If he is a legit high-major D1 player), just because he played one year of football and drew some interest. It doesn't add up.

I laugh when people second-guess recruiting decisions on players they have never even seen play. Don't you think Coach Smith has a FAR better viewpoint of the situation? I certainly trust his expertise in evaluating talent and molding a roster.

Class 5A All-State Basketball Teams (2010)
BOYS
First team
Name, school Ht. Cl. Avg.
Kendrick Washington, Huntington 6-7 Sr. 15.0
Tramel White, H.L. Bourgeois 6-1 Jr. 23.3
Roosevelt Johnson, Destrehan 6-5 Jr. 19.4
Marlon Johnson, East Ascension 6-3 Sr. 14.6
Patrick Richard, Carencro 6-4 Sr. 23.0
Second team
Chip Armelin, Sulphur 6-3 So. 17.5
Trai Eaglin, Westgate 5-11 Sr. 17.2
Josh Brown, Ruston 6-3 Sr. 18.0
Matt Derenbecker, Ponchatoula 6-5 So. 23.7
Russell Moore, St. Augustine 6-4 Sr. 13.1
OUTSTANDING PLAYER: Kendrick Washington, Huntington
COACH OF THE YEAR: Clifton Brown, Lafayette

BOYS (2009)
First team
Kendrick Washington, Huntington 6-7 Sr. 19.4
Ricky Johnson, Carencro 6-1 Sr. 26.3
Jacoby Colbert, Westgate 6-3 Jr. 20.2
Nick Haywood, Ouachita 6-0 Sr. 19.3
Rashaun Claiborne, St. Amant 6-4 Sr. 20.0
Second team
Roosevelt Johnson, Destrehan 6-6 Sr. 18.6
Jordane Ganapamo, Mandeville 6-1 Sr. 20.0
Chip Armelin, Sulphur 6-3 Jr. 17.8
Xavier Blackburn, St. Thomas More 6-3 Jr. 14.6
Cory Lacy, West Monroe 6-0 Jr. 14.3

2008 Second Team.

I don't totally buy this whole football thing. So many high-major prospects are so heavily recruited long before they play football as seniors.

If football was an issue, that means the kid likely went through last spring and early summer without any high majors offering him.

Class 5A All-State Basketball Teams (2010)
BOYS
First team
Kendrick Washington, Huntington 6-7 Sr. 15.0
Tramel White, H.L. Bourgeois 6-1 Jr. 23.3
Roosevelt Johnson, Destrehan 6-5 Jr. 19.4
Marlon Johnson, East Ascension 6-3 Sr. 14.6
Patrick Richard, Carencro 6-4 Sr. 23.0
Second team
Chip Armelin, Sulphur 6-3 So. 17.5
Trai Eaglin, Westgate 5-11 Sr. 17.2
Josh Brown, Ruston 6-3 Sr. 18.0
Matt Derenbecker, Ponchatoula 6-5 So. 23.7
Russell Moore, St. Augustine 6-4 Sr. 13.1
OUTSTANDING PLAYER: Kendrick Washington, Huntington
COACH OF THE YEAR: Clifton Brown, Lafayette

BOYS (2009)
First team
Kendrick Washington, Huntington 6-7 Sr. 19.4
Ricky Johnson, Carencro 6-1 Sr. 26.3
Jacoby Colbert, Westgate 6-3 Jr. 20.2
Nick Haywood, Ouachita 6-0 Sr. 19.3
Rashaun Claiborne, St. Amant 6-4 Sr. 20.0
Second team
Roosevelt Johnson, Destrehan 6-6 Sr. 18.6
Jordane Ganapamo, Mandeville 6-1 Sr. 20.0
Chip Armelin, Sulphur 6-3 Jr. 17.8
Xavier Blackburn, St. Thomas More 6-3 Jr. 14.6
Cory Lacy, West Monroe 6-0 Jr. 14.3

2008 Second Team.

He was AP 2nd Team All-State in 2008-09-10.

Top Bottom