What College Football (Outside of MN) has you excited?

KoolAid

Red Drank Brewmaster
Reaction score
We're all Gopher fans here (well most of us anyway). But I think we celebrate the greater good that is College football. So what other teams/conferences have you excited this year?

Personally, I'm excited to watch some ACC football for the first time in a long time. UNC's defense is supposed to be dominant. The Canes have a good looking offense this year (Jacory Harris is really good). And FSU will just be interesting.

The SEC is always fun. Gotta like Mallet and the Razorbacks this year. I'll always watch a night game from Baton Rouge. How's Brantley going to do this year?

Can Texas win the Big 12 again - probably. Gilbert is gonna be a stud QB. Texas A&M will be pretty good this year. Baylor might catch some people off guard.

So as much as I'm excited for Maroon and Gold, I'm probably more excited for Saturdays in general.

I'm going to be interested to see if Nebraska and Colorado get severely hosed by the Big12 officiating this year. Seeing as how Nebraska is ranked in the top 10 this preseason that could have huge implications on the national title race.

Other than the Big Ten, I love watching the SEC. I am envious of the rabid fanbase that every school down there has.

Penn State @ Alabama

In addition to a few of the things already mentioned (SEC, Nebraska's farewell tour) I want to see how Houston does this year. I think they're going to make scoreboards and stat sheets smoke and hopefully start a few on fire.

Not too much yet. Sooner or later there will be an interesting story line, an interesting underdog. For me, it's the Big Ten, everything else just isn't as interesting. But that's just my preferences. I was rooting for Duke to make it to a bowl game. Those are what interests me outside of the Big Ten, teams that have a chance to get to a bowl game after a long time of sitting at home. There's something pure and unjaded about that kind of excitement.

Then there's the NSIC, go Bemidji State! OK, it interests me enough to listen to the game via the net if I have nothing else to do, which isn't too often.

Should they get past Virginia Tech in the season opener, the ongoing storyline all season will be whether Boise State can play for a national championship.

The Pac-10 is going to be very, very interesting with USC down for the count and Oregon's tumultuous offseason. My pick to reach the Rose Bowl for the first time since 1964 (our rodent brethren in the west) is Oregon State. Came within one win each of the last two years before falling short in the Civil War. Once they get past that daunting non-conference schedule, I think the Beavers get to Pasadena.

I want to see how Houston does this year. I think they're going to make scoreboards and stat sheets smoke and hopefully start a few on fire.

Definitely - good call

Outside of the big ten I only really pay attention to the PAC 10.

It will be fun to get to the end of the season, and have another undefeated Boise St. team shafted by the BCS system.

Florida Gators

I will be attending Florida's HC game against Mississippi State. My first non-Big Ten FBS game.

I am probably in the minority here, but I don't want to see a WAC or Mountain West team in the BCS Title Game. I think if Boise State played a Big Ten or SEC schedule every year they would lose at least 2-3 games. Hopefully they lose week one to Virginia Tech to eliminate any controversy.
________
Free vaporizer

i will be paying closer attention to the mid-major programs this year if our season doesn't start off good to see who will be on maturi's short list should we have to go that route, but hopefully not.

Go Gusties! I am planning on taking in a doubleheader on September 25. Gustavus vs St. Olaf in the afternoon and then Gophers vs NIU that night.

While I'm going to keep an eye on Nebraska for the obvious reasons, I'll be watching the Washington Huskies when they don't conflict with the Gophers. They recruited very well for 2010 (ranked 28th) and it will be interesting to see if any of the true freshman can help the Huskies get back to a bowl game and maybe propel Jake Locker into the Heisman Trophy hunt.

My interests don't really stray outside of the Big Ten so with that in mind I am excited in these non-conference games:

Illinois vs. Missouri
Penn St vs. Alabama
Ohio St. vs. Miami, FL

My interests don't really stray outside of the Big Ten so with that in mind I am excited in these non-conference games:

Illinois vs. Missouri
Penn St vs. Alabama
Ohio St. vs. Miami, FL

The ILL-Mizzou game would be so much more pleasant if it were outdoors. Otherwise, it is always a game I try to catch.

I am excited for St. Thomas to finally take down St. Johns and compete for the National Title.

June Jones is gonna put the Methodists on top of the college football world! Go Ponies!

Hook Em Horns!!!

Will Gilbert live up to expectations? Can the Longhorns finally build the running game? Will we survive the early four jihad game stretch vs UCLA, Tech, Neb, and OU?

I'm excited for all of it....can't wait.

First weekend...

Thursday - Gophers MTSU, USC at Hawaii
Saturday - Illinois-Mizzou, Michigan-Uconn, UCLA-KState, Purdue-NotreDame, LSU-UNC
Monday - VaTech-Boise St.

not a bad opening weekend.....I wish FSU-Miami was still on this opening weekend, that had been a fun one.

I'm very interested to see June Jones football down at SMU in year 3. They made huge improvements last year as a team (from super bad to average) and have a chance to be decent this year. I know some hate seeing 5 WR's on 4th and goal at the 1, but I think it is fun to watch. They start the year on Sept 5th at Texas Tech, which could be a very interesting game.

I'm interested to see how the Big 12 plays out this year with story lines of two schools leaving. I'm interested to see how bad USC turns out and how bad the recruiting violations Kiffin left in year 1 at Tennessee turn out to be. I am intrigued by how good Georgia Tech will be this year as they are now falling on the recruiting of Paul Johnson. I like to see a power conference team running the option.

Can Washington keep resurging, which I think they will. They had many awful years in a row, but were decent last year and upset USC. How bad again will be Washington St, and when will they do something about it? Can Tennesee beat anyone this year and how down is their program.

I'm excited for some football!

U.M.D.

They are going to be highly ranked in D II, and if they can keep their QB healthy they look poised to make another run at a D II crown.

It will be fun to get to the end of the season, and have another undefeated Boise St. team shafted by the BCS system.

BSU has been blessed by the BCS, not shafted. If they get into the title game then you will see someone get shafted. Sorry but when the 3rd, 4th, and 5th hardest games on your schedule are Wyoming, Nevada, and Idaho you have no business playing for a national championship.

Compare this to Ohio State whose 3rd, 4th, and fifth hardest games are hosting top 20 teams Miami and PSU, and archrival Michigan (their toughest are road trips to IA and WI, both ranked in the top 12). I'll take a one loss OSU over an undefeated BSU any day.

The old system may not have matched up #1 and #2, but at least #3 had a chance to prove they were the best. If #1 and #2 lost, #3 could get the championship with a win. If under the old system, we couldn't be sure the #1 team was really the #1 team, how can we be so certain that the #2 team is really the #2 team? Are we so sure that #3 shouldn't be the one playing for the title?

If a school like Boise State should be essentially inelligible for the national title, then the NCAA should make a new official subdivision. They could have I-A, I-AA and I-ALight.

I only think BSU should be 'ineligible' because of the schedule they play. Getting into the title game as you note is not an exact science. It is analagous to getting a shot at the heavyweight championship. A guy who compiles a record of 15-0 fighting local nobodies shouldn't get a shot over a guy who's 15-2 and is 5-2 against the top ranked contenders. BSU has some control over their schedule and should schedule tougher games if they want a shot at the championship. That's just my opinion. I think they need to play more than one road game against a top 50 team.

BSU has some control over their schedule and should schedule tougher games if they want a shot at the championship.

Therein lies the rub.

What insane AD of a major college football program is going to schedule Boise St. for a home game? Would you? There is way too much to risk and nothing to gain. Oregon scheduled a home-and-home well before it was evidenced how good Boise St. was going to be. Good luck "slipping one past the goalie" like that again.

Boise State might get more schools willing to play them if they got rid of that blue turf abomination. It's not just ugly, it's also a major distraction. Why not just have strobe lights shining in the player's faces to distract them too? We have green turf to simulate grass. Blue turf is just a freakish attempt to gain an artificial advantage. No wonder teams don't want to travel there.

I'm excited for MTSU's season opener. A good Sun Belt team, who didnt really have to play anyone last year, playing a Big Ten team? We'll get to see if theyre legit.

BYU Freshman QB

I am curious to see how Jake Heaps, a true freshman QB does at BYU. He is very highly touted and BYU is fantastic at developing quality passers.

Top Bottom