The story on Travis Trice

Blizzard

Reaction score
No reason to post this other than one that we missed, slow news day, bored, etc...

Tubby Smith called as they were driving up to East Lansing on Wednesday. Travis Trice and Travis Trice II told Tubby where they were going, and he asked if they'd consider turning the car around and committing to the Gophers instead.

It wasn't happening, even though the Trices had no idea whether Tom Izzo was going to offer a scholarship or not. Minnesota joined Penn State and Northwestern as Big Ten schools that had decided Trice's talent warranted a scholarship -- and far exceeded his fillinrecruitingsitehere.com profile.

Izzo apparently had already realized that. Ten days earlier, he told Trice and his father -- a former player at Purdue and Butler and now his son's coach at Huber Heights (Ohio) Wayne High -- that he was very interested. That he was recruiting him because of what he saw, and he had seen plenty. Izzo was at just about every one of Trice's AAU games this summer, because Trice played with uber prospect and MSU target Branden Dawson.

"Tom told Travis, 'I saw you with my own eyes. I saw you being the best player on the floor in a lot of games,'" the elder Trice recalled of the conversation. "There's a comfort level when one of the best head coaches ever lays eyes on you for 22 games and decides there's a spot for you at Michigan State."

Dawson hurt his nose in July and missed a couple games. Before one of them, coaches from UCLA, Purdue and several other schools were in the stands. When they learned Dawson wouldn't be playing the game, they left. Even Matt Painter, who played with Trice at Purdue. All except Izzo.

"That's when we knew he was serious," Travis Sr. said.

They found out how serious Wednesday. After eight hours with Izzo in East Lansing on an unofficial visit, Izzo offered a four-year scholarship. He asked for a commitment on the spot. The Trices kept it together and said they needed to go home and discuss it, but the car was passing the Kellogg Center when young Travis told his dad to stop it.

"Man, I was ready to do it right then," Travis II said. "I didn't want to do it on the spot because my family is really close and we make decisions with each other, but I knew."

They talked for a half hour, then continued driving and called Izzo to give him the news. Around the same time, Dawson texted Trice and told him he was going to commit.

"I had no clue," Travis II said. "It was just crazy. I called him and just said, 'I'm excited, dude. We get to play together for another four years."

It's been four years together in AAU ball, although they live in different states and, according to the elder Trice, are more acquaintances than bosom buddies. He is definitely sensitive about the implication that his son's recruitment might have been a way to help convince Dawson to commit. Or that his son should be viewed as any less of a player than the guards he has battled all summer who have stars next to their names.

"If Michigan State wasn't serious about Travis coming in and playing and being a part of winning championships, we wouldn't even have considered it," Travis Sr. said. "He is such a hard worker and he has worked his butt off for the last four months. He has been playing against and beating three-, four- and five-star players. He can play at this level, and anyone who doubts that is really doubting coach Izzo.

"He has dissected Travis' game and he has made it clear throughout this process that he is recruiting him, regardless of anyone else."

If there's anything obvious about Trice that places him behind other elite guards, it's size. He's 6-foot and 165 pounds. He needs to add bulk and strength. But if he does, he is a point guard with a jump shot, natural leadership skills (it helps to have a dad who is a coach and a former high major player) and a tenacious approach to defense. And MSU is going to need one of those after Korie Lucious leaves in 2012.

Is it possible anymore for the recruiting services to miss this much on someone? The Trices plan to prove it.

"He's not the fastest or most athletic player, but he doesn't turn the ball over, he knows how to get guys the ball," Trice Sr. said of his son. "Rather than dribble into trouble, he pulls up and hits the 12- to 15-foot shot. All these things are what coach Izzo saw over and over again. And I think the fact that Travis is not a national recruit helps, too. A lot of guys like that have a great work ethic, and I know Travis does."

And in other MSU basketball news: The Maui bracket has been released and the Spartans will play Chaminade in the quarters (Nov. 22 at 9:30 p.m. on ESPNU), just as in 2005. The winner will play Wichita State or UConn in the semifinals. The other side of the bracket consists of Kentucky, Oklahoma, Washington and Virginia.

http://noise.typepad.com/hey_joe/20...gn=LSJ_Media&utm_term=HeyJoe&utm_content=Blog

Loved The First Paragraph

From what I've read, the younger Trice had a very good summer of AAU play.

Mich St is a great choice for him.

Like I said. Package deal.

"Package deal" implies that you have to offer one to get the other.

I'm pretty sure Dawson was going there without Trice, and it's 100% certain that Trice would've gone there without Dawson. So how is that a package deal?

Who is Scott Martin?

This was meant to be sarcastic. I obviously know who Scott Martin is. Duh.

The Hummel/Martin situation is different because both received their own separate offers long before either committed. Trice was an unknown player that got his offer the same day Dawson committed. Coincidence? Who knows.

Look, I'm mostly crying over spilled milk because Dawson was believed to be near lock for Purdue and the Purdue coaching staff is completely stunned by these developments. Pack deal or not, there is plenty of circumstantial evidence to support it. No use whining about it any more. On to Chasson Randle.

Trice was an unknown player

Someone with offers from Butler, Minnesota, Northwestern and Dayton is "unknown"? Interesting.

Look, I'm mostly crying over spilled milk because Dawson was believed to be near lock for Purdue and the Purdue coaching staff is completely stunned by these developments. Pack deal or not, there is plenty of circumstantial evidence to support it. No use whining about it any more. On to Chasson Randle.

It's just three little words. You can say it.

"I was wrong."

See...how hard was that?

I, personally, was not wrong. I always posted on this board that Dawson was likely to choose between MSU and Purdue. I had inside information that he was heavily leaning towards Purdue but I didn't not publicly share that info or at least don't recall doing so. My "sources" were wrong and it's not the first time.

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a history with this kid. I saw Tubby's name mentioned and thought on a slow day it would have been worth a read.

I, personally, was not wrong. I always posted on this board that Dawson was likely to choose between MSU and Purdue. I had inside information that he was heavily leaning towards Purdue but I didn't not publicly share that info or at least don't recall doing so. My "sources" were wrong and it's not the first time.

Package deal.

according to the elder Trice, are more acquaintances than bosom buddies.

Parent-talk.

BJ needs to figure out where he's going to high school for his senior year soon..

Yes. Later in the article he went on to state, "Deserted, that's word to vacant homes...2002, Trice up in ya headphones.. if it's ya system, Trice up in your Bose... if it's ya women, then Trice up in ya h***"

Wow.. had forgotten we sampled something from that jawn on an ill intro cut 7 years ago.

Top Bottom