Sid: Devoe may miss 3 games in Canada due to onging quad injury

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"Gophers basketball guard Devoe Joseph suffered a quadriceps injury while competing for a spot on the Canadian national team and might miss the Gophers' three September exhibitions in British Columbia. However, that decision won't be made until the University doctors and trainers examine Joseph when he returns to the Twin Cities in a week."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/100086939.html?page=2&c=y

And a few other tid-bits that won't be new to GHers:

• The Gophers basketball coaching staff is hot after point guard Naadir Tharpe, who will be a senior at Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H. Tharpe was a teammate of incoming Gophers freshman Maurice (Mo) Walker, who is enrolled in summer school at the U.

• Visiting the Minnesota campus on Wednesday was Chip Armelin, a 6-2, lefthanded guard from Sulphur, La., in whom the Gophers have interest.

• Former Gopher Damian Johnson has signed a contract to play for the Oita Heat Devils of Japan's professional league.

Go Gophers!!

"Gophers basketball guard Devoe Joseph suffered a quadriceps injury while competing for a spot on the Canadian national team and might miss the Gophers' three September exhibitions in British Columbia. However, that decision won't be made until the University doctors and trainers examine Joseph when he returns to the Twin Cities in a week."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/100086939.html?page=2&c=y

The Devoe injury has been keeping me up at night the past few weeks. As has another thing that, like Joseph's injury, hasn't been talked about much and I will not get into.

Hope this heals up over the next couple of months and he's ready to go. Looks like potentially our primary scoring option.

The Devoe injury has been keeping me up at night the past few weeks. As has another thing that, like Joseph's injury, hasn't been talked about much and I will not get into.

Hope this heals up over the next couple of months and he's ready to go. Looks like potentially our primary scoring option.

GW, I'm curious as to what your other concern is. Is it RS3 related, in that he has been working out away from campus all summer? I believe he has been with his Dad and maybe a trainer, so hopefully he's in great hands, but I'm sure Tubby would like to have the entire team here all summer if possible.

Or is there yet another concern? I don't know how many concerns one (otherwise healthy program) can have!

Go Gophers!!

GW, I'm curious as to what your other concern is. Is it RS3 related, in that he has been working out away from campus all summer? I believe he has been with his Dad and maybe a trainer, so hopefully he's in great hands, but I'm sure Tubby would like to have the entire team here all summer if possible.

Not at all Ralph-related. If Devoe isn't our go-to-guy, Ralph probably is.

The range of reasonably likely outcomes for this year's team is wide. It'll make things interesting, but the tickers will be working. Besides Joseph's injury, the other thing is something I've been thinking about for a longer period of time, and wouldn't affect us as much as Devoe being hobbled or not playing for a significant period of time. Probably will turn out to be me just worrying a little for no reason.

Hopefully the obvious and well-talked about concerns turn out favorably, including:
Al - (I expect him back)
Oto - (toss up)
Trevor - (since 7/09 never have expected to see him on the court, but I'm a pessimist; hope he plays - would help our season and his life greatly)

I have a tough time finding info on the Canadian team. Sounds like they announce the roster today. From one of the few articles I seen, Leo Rautins kid is the point guard. So is that it for Devoe on the squad, with the injury and all?

I like what Iveson gives us down low over Ralph

)

Id say Devoe will be our go to scorer on the perimeter and Iverson will be the guy down low. I would fall over if Rodney could be a go to scorer on the wing. I think after those two, it will be Nolen and Ralph, then maybe the Hoff. This is if Trevor doesnt play. Not sure how I'd rank him?

Iverson is the one guy lots of big ten teams cannot match up with. Yes sometimes his defense isnt the best, yes sometimes he doesnt have any finese, and sometimes he doesnt play smart, but other times he is a mean sob that we need down on the block.

Id say Devoe will be our go to scorer on the perimeter and Iverson will be the guy down low. I would fall over if Rodney could be a go to scorer on the wing. I think after those two, it will be Nolen and Ralph, then maybe the Hoff. This is if Trevor doesnt play. Not sure how I'd rank him?

Iverson is the one guy lots of big ten teams cannot match up with. Yes sometimes his defense isnt the best, yes sometimes he doesnt have any finese, and sometimes he doesnt play smart, but other times he is a mean sob that we need down on the block.

I have to agree with March Madness. I would add if Devoe is not healthy I would expect Austin Hollins to get an extra look. Some freshman are ready to step up, he could very well be one of them.

Besides Joseph's injury, the other thing is something I've been thinking about for a longer period of time, and wouldn't affect us as much as Devoe being hobbled or not playing for a significant period of time. Probably will turn out to be me just worrying a little for no reason.

Why so cryptic? Something to do with his brother?

Why so cryptic? Something to do with his brother?

Players who graduate in 3 years can transfer somewhere else, enroll in graduate school, and play immediately (if that NCAA rule is still intact).

Maybe that's it?

Players who graduate in 3 years can transfer somewhere else, enroll in graduate school, and play immediately (if that NCAA rule is still intact).

Maybe that's it?

referring to Trevor Mbakwe? Gopherfan1 on this board (I believe) did discuss his graduation situation at one point on here.

If that's what it is, hopefully the trial just happens on the 23rd and Trevor is cleared.

I'm not sure of any other players who would transfer after 3 years that would affect us less than a Devoe injury.

The Devoe injury has been keeping me up at night the past few weeks. As has another thing that, like Joseph's injury, hasn't been talked about much and I will not get into....

Thanks for the constructive input GW. Needed a little more angst, trepidation, uncertainty and despair associated with the Gopher BB Program.

Top Bottom