Big Ten's most painful losses

I don't know that I would call recognition of the most painful losses of any Big Ten team as "love."

But it shows we at least we handed some other teams some painful losses of their own.

I still cant believe the dropped punt hasn't been mentioned at all. I saw that on TV before I even thought about attending the U. ugh

I still cant believe the dropped punt hasn't been mentioned at all. I saw that on TV before I even thought about attending the U. ugh

That is second place to Michigan. The Michigan game took so much momentum away from what Mason was building. By the time 2005 came along Gophers fans had stopped getting their hopes up after a nice early season run but in 2003 we were unprepared for what was about to happen (not that it hadn't happened to Mason before--NC State bowl game, Northwestern in 2000, Purdue in 2001 but not at that level on that stage). Whatever momentum wasn't lost with the Michigan game was certainly lost in the offseason when Mason was shopping for better offers. Looking back on it after the season was completed, had we not lost that game we would have finished in a 4-way tie for first and gone to the Rose Bowl.

Truthfully I saw it coming in 2005 and yelled that we should go for it during the timeout prior to 4th down. Everybody around me-friends and strangers-told me that I was an idiot and the proper move was to punt. I replied, "I'm a Gopher fan and I know something bad is about to happen if we don't put the ball in our offense hands to finish this game." Moments later the punt happened and I got so many dirty looks you would think I was the one that dropped the punt.

Finally some validation of every Minnesota Gopher fb fan's belief.

Top Bottom