Josh Oglesby Discusses Upcoming Visit to Minnesota

Great interview Chris.

We've been on Oglesby for a long time so it would be great if he had two great visits and we get him on the dotted line, although his comments on Iowa seem like that is where he'll end up.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for all the new info you been churning out since you joined the GH staff! I hope Josh doesn't cross us off his list now that Chip is coming in for a visit!!!

Thanks for all the new info you been churning out since you joined the GH staff! I hope Josh doesn't cross us off his list now that Chip is coming in for a visit!!!

Or that Joe Coleman has visited previously. Or that Austin Hollins signed last year. Or that Gophers are pursuing Malcolm Brogdon of Atlanta who is also 6-5 guard.

He will have competition no matter where he goes. Illinois has Richmond, Head, Paul, Richardson, Bertrand, Abrams, and Henry at the guard/wing spots. He brings a skill that any team can use, though. Shooting. But if he wants to go to a place on his list that has the least competition, it would be Iowa, his boyhood favorite school. Ultimately, I think that is where he ends up. jmo

He will have competition no matter where he goes. Illinois has Richmond, Head, Paul, Richardson, Bertrand, Abrams, and Henry at the guard/wing spots. He brings a skill that any team can use, though. Shooting. But if he wants to go to a place on his list that has the least competition, it would be Iowa, his boyhood favorite school. Ultimately, I think that is where he ends up. jmo

Iowa probably has the best chance to land him. Arizona State MAY be a sleeper, though.

Iowa probably has the best chance to land him. Arizona State MAY be a sleeper, though.

IMO the influences that ASU may have going for it are: A new practice facility. Trent Lockett from Minnesota who may be a familiar face to Josh. Chance Creekmur from Iowa who may also be a familiar face. Herb Sendek who has been pursuing Josh for a long time. And of course - no bundling up in the winters.

IMO the influences that ASU may have going for it are: A new practice facility. Trent Lockett from Minnesota who may be a familiar face to Josh. Chance Creekmur from Iowa who may also be a familiar face. Herb Sendek who has been pursuing Josh for a long time. And of course - no bundling up in the winters.

Don't forget the 1000's of beautiful young coeds on ASU campus.

Combes - what is Illinois' scholarship situation at the guard position? Would Weber take Oglesby verbal right now or would Oglesby be asked to wait until after some of the top other targets announce (Randle, McLemore, etc.)?

Illinois has three scholarships available for 2011 and 2012 classes total. Currently, the 2011-2012 roster looks like this:

C 7-0 Meyers Leonard (So), 6-10 Nnanna Egwu (Fr)
F 6-7 Jereme Richmond (So), 6-8 Tyler Griffey (Jr)
G 6-4 Brandon Paul (Jr), 6-6 Mycheal Henry (Fr)
G 6-4 DJ Richardson (Jr), 6-5 Crandall Head (So)
G 6-1 Tracy Abrams (Fr), 6-6 Joseph Bertrand (So)

No seniors. Pretty young team but filled with top 100 talent. The needs are another rebounder (hopefully, Mike Shaw) and a combo guard (hopefully Chasson Randle or Josh Oglesby). I think Illinois would take a commitment from Oglesby because a bird in hand, etc...

I have seen Oglesby play several times. He is an outstanding shooter, but his passing ability is often overlooked. He has a real feel for the game. Illinois would only take one of Randle/Oglesby. imo

If Illinois gets two more recruits in 2011, that would only leave one for 2012 (barring an early entry). The top target at guard for Illinois is Indiana prep Gary Harris. Illinois has not had much luck recruiting Indiana over the years, but Illinois was in on Harris very early. Weber's wife was the nurse at Harris' birth. :) I don't think Illinois leads in this recruitment but can afford to let it play out since the team has a lot of good guards already. Another big body would also be a good pickup.

Illinois has no shot at McLemore. imo

Illinois has three scholarships available for 2011 and 2012 classes total. Currently, the 2011-2012 roster looks like this:

C 7-0 Meyers Leonard (So), 6-10 Nnanna Egwu (Fr)
F 6-7 Jereme Richmond (So), 6-8 Tyler Griffey (Jr)
G 6-4 Brandon Paul (Jr), 6-6 Mycheal Henry (Fr)
G 6-4 DJ Richardson (Jr), 6-5 Crandall Head (So)
G 6-1 Tracy Abrams (Fr), 6-6 Joseph Bertrand (So)

No seniors. Pretty young team but filled with top 100 talent. The needs are another rebounder (hopefully, Mike Shaw) and a combo guard (hopefully Chasson Randle or Josh Oglesby). I think Illinois would take a commitment from Oglesby because a bird in hand, etc...

I have seen Oglesby play several times. He is an outstanding shooter, but his passing ability is often overlooked. He has a real feel for the game. Illinois would only take one of Randle/Oglesby. imo

If Illinois gets two more recruits in 2011, that would only leave one for 2012 (barring an early entry). The top target at guard for Illinois is Indiana prep Gary Harris. Illinois has not had much luck recruiting Indiana over the years, but Illinois was in on Harris very early. Weber's wife was the nurse at Harris' birth. :) I don't think Illinois leads in this recruitment but can afford to let it play out since the team has a lot of good guards already. Another big body would also be a good pickup.

Illinois has no shot at McLemore. imo

I think DePaul may have the inside track with Shaw, we'll see?

I think DePaul may have the inside track with Shaw, we'll see?

Yeah, who knows with Shaw. The UI people I know are pretty confident about landing him. But kids do not always choose logically. I mean, who would go to depaul over a Big Ten school? :)

Yeah, who knows with Shaw. The UI people I know are pretty confident about landing him. But kids do not always choose logically. I mean, who would go to depaul over a Big Ten school? :)

...or a certain fellow Big East school.

Top Bottom