Which upset do you want?

mapleleaffan5

Reaction score
Out of the 4 teams at home (USC, Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa) we will most likely be underdogs against, which is the most important to you? Here's what I think in order from top to bottom...

Ohio State - under the lights of TCF Bank, Halloween weekend
Iowa - they may only have one loss, or even may be undefeated. How cool would it be to ruin their BCS hopes?
USC - I just don't like Lane Kiffin
Penn State - My least favorite trophy game

Gimme your thoughts

Tough choice, but Iowa in the snow would be crazy
ruining OSU's nat. title talk would be crazy
Embarrassing USC and Seantrel's dumbass would be crazy
but i think i'd have to go ruining Iowa's season. i hate iowa, and everything from iowa.

Out of the 4 teams at home (USC, Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa) we will most likely be underdogs against, which is the most important to you? Here's what I think in order from top to bottom...

Ohio State - under the lights of TCF Bank, Halloween weekend
Iowa - they may only have one loss, or even may be undefeated. How cool would it be to ruin this BCS hopes?
USC - I just don't like Lane Kiffin
Penn State - My least favorite trophy game

Gimme your thoughts

Iowa- Love to win Floyd, send their great "travelling fans" unhappy all the way back to Savage, Blaine and Cottage Grove. Plus Iowa should be a Top 10 team all year- would be the sweetest win.
tOSU- under the lights, Halloween, would be the most nationally significant win if pre-season polling holds true or close to it through the first two months.
USC- Great national PR- Kiffin is a scumbag, they actually think they are being persecuted by the NCAA over the Bush/Mayo thing. Delusional.
Penn State- Would like to get one more win over Joe Pa. Tons of respect, I think this will be Joe's last trip to Minneapolis. Will miss his class.

P.S.- Love the name- my 4 Y/O kid wears his vintage sewn Tie Domi on the days he isn't wearing his Wild Koivu jersey or his Gopher hockey and football jerseys. Take any of the three away and its defcom 5.

Iowa, in the snow, to deny them a BCS bowl

tOSU. The others as far as I am concerned are winnable games anyway. But USC is closer to a Buckeyes victory type. So, like Deon Sanders would say; I want BOTH.

Iowa--with a bullet. They will be a ranked team, and aside from records or rankings they are quite simply the team I most enjoy beating.

USC--If the Gophers beat USC the hype will start building. Were the Gophers to beat USC and Wisconsin, the Maroon and Gold would be ranked when Ohio State comes to town. Now imagine #2 Ohio State versus #18 Minnesota under the lights at TCF Bank Stadium. Can you say College Gameday?

Ohio State--They are the best team in the Big Ten, and probably the best team in the country. It would be the least likely victory but boy would it send a message.

Penn State--Still a Big Win. Even though I think this is the most likely upset for the Gophers to achieve at home.

USC--If the Gophers beat USC the hype will start building. Were the Gophers to beat USC and Wisconsin, the Maroon and Gold would be ranked when Ohio State comes to town. Now imagine #2 Ohio State versus #18 Minnesota under the lights at TCF Bank Stadium. Can you say College Gameday?[/
Zero chance. No way does the SEC Network also known as ESPN miss a chance to give a nice sloppy BJ to the SEC by hosting gameday from the World's Largest "Cock"tail party featuring a typically overrated Georgia team against the worlds most wonderful person, the Tim Tebow loving completely clean Urban "I'm retired no I'm not" Meyer's Florida Gators.

A better way of saying it is, "I want us to win all our games against those four teams." Winning 2 of those games is a must!

USC. We may never play them again at home. The last time we did I was 8.

Iowa - It's not even close. We need to win the trophy, we recruit many of the same kids and beating your recruiting competition helps win those battles, and it will close out the regular season on a high note.

USC - While a win this year over OSU will go down as historically better, and because USC has not been humbled one bit by their punishment, I just want our Gophers to thrash USC.

OSU - Would be number 2 any other year. They are the premier team in the Big 10 and a win would be significant for the program in many ways.

Penn State - If we want a chance to beat OSU, we'll need to keep the moral up by playing competitively against PSU. A win would eliminate the second guessing that goes with a loss and be a huge help in preparing for OSU.

We are 4.5 point underdogs for the opener. I'd like us to win that one and roll from there.
If we only win two games: my choices are Iowa and Wisconsin.
Of the four games listed: like everybody says, we want to win them all but beating Kiffin and USC would be pretty awesome. Beat them and we'd have to win another one of the other three wouldn't we? If not we'd at least have the hope in each game going forward of saying...."well, we beat USC, we can beat these guys too if ... fun to think about.

Of those, it has to be Iowa.

No shame in losing to USC.
No shame in losing to a good OSU.
No shame in losing to a good PSU.

Always a terrible amount of shame in losing to Iowa, and it has nothing to do with how good or bad they are.

U$C or OSU would be mega, but Iowa at home to ruin their BCS hopes trumps both of those.

Let's just win them all, then everyone is happy.

I gotta go with the one that may be a nationally televised night game.

tOSU and Terrelle Pryor.

I'm hoping the Gophers upset Penn State the week before, but if I had to choose one it'd be tOSU.

I'ts my favorite team to hate: I-O-W- A (I Owe the World an Apology)

Good one, go4rob! I haven't seen that one before. Ranks right up there with "ann arbor's a whore"! I hope November 27 is skulking about.

All of them then I'm greedy.:) In order off preference.
1. Iowa Do we need an reason besides it's Iowa?
2. Penn State It's a trophy game and we badly need to win a trophy game.
3. Ohio State It's a conference game and I'm tired of all this 'Thee Ohio State' bull.
4. USC I could easily of put it third, ahead of OSU, due to their arrogance and coach but conferece trumps.

As many have said, Iowa because it the last regular season game and well, it's Iowa.

But just on the off chance that beating Iowa wouldn't be an upset I'd go with USC. It's early in the season and the exhilaration of beating the Trojans should (would?) carry the Gophers through the early part of the Big Ten season.

The other reason would be that sure, we'd have to put-up with the dipsticks and clowns who'd say that a Gopher victory would prove that "USC is obviously down". You know that persistent Minnesota/ Nordic attitude of "don't get to happy, you'll get put in your place soon enough". Maybe, but for at least for a week Gopher fans could walk around with a smile and a "f-ing right!" attitude that we haven't been able to have for a long, long time around here.

Now that would be sweet.:drink:

Ohio State

I don't have the info in front of me but I think that going back to 1898 (or to the beginning of the world for that matter) we have beat the only 7 times, and after the first 3 games our record was 2-1 against them. We are damn close to being a "gimme" for Ohio State. Beating them would mean a lot to the program.

Since I predicted an undefeated season I wouldn't call any of these wins an upset. That said, I would most like a win against Iowa. The biggest win in terms of importance, however, would be against Ohio State.

Disclaimer - Josh087 has predicted 12 consectutive undefeated seasons

I don't have the info in front of me but I think that going back to 1898 (or to the beginning of the world for that matter) we have beat the only 7 times, and after the first 3 games our record was 2-1 against them. We are damn close to being a "gimme" for Ohio State. Beating them would mean a lot to the program.

You are correct on both counts. We were also 3-2 after our first 5 games against them.

Some other fun facts:

We are 7-42 overall vs. OSU.

We are on a 7-game losing streak against them.

We are 1-23 in our last 24 games against them.

We are 2-35 in our last 37 games against them.

Good times!

You are correct on both counts. We were also 3-2 after our first 5 games against them.

Some other fun facts:

We are 7-42 overall vs. OSU.

We are on a 7-game losing streak against them.

We are 1-23 in our last 24 games against them.

We are 2-35 in our last 37 games against them.

Good times!

Here's hoping they are in the other division!! :rolleyes:

Just a little tidbit on Ohio State during our glory years, a team could choose one other Big Ten not to play, OSU refused to play us.

I've changed my mind about ten times since I first thought about this. I still don't have a "for sure" number one, but I know it isn't Penn State.

I just hope that the game with Iowa isn't a morale booster type game for us. I'd rather beat them when it means something more.

It is always good to beat OSU-always.

USC... could mean other upsets are possible in the near future.

I think that there will be a lot of recruits coming for the USC game. Even reading the Basketball board, a lot of the visitation days are sept 17-18. We played pretty decently against Cal last year until we couldn't stop Javid Best...

If we can only win one, OSU, two OSU and USC, three OSU, PSU, & Iowa, if we win all four I'd like our upset to be against Alabama.

If we can only win one, OSU, two OSU and USC, three OSU, PSU, & Iowa, if we win all four I'd like our upset to be against Alabama.

I like your thinking. After all, we will be undefeated ;)

USC, because it means that we have a chance in the other three games.

Top Bottom