DBs Are Bigger, Stronger and Faster

Stargenes

Reaction score
Updated size and weights of DBs:

2 Collado, Ryan CB 5-9 182 Sr. Cincinnati, Ohio (Hills Christian )
Bouie, Tyrone DB 6-0 180 Fr. Sanford, Fla. (Seminole HS)
6 Carter, Michael DB 5-11 185 So. Pompano Beach, Fla. (Ely HS)
36 Haviland, Chase DB 5-9 177 RFr. Thief River Falls, Minn. (Lincoln HS)
34 Henderson, Kyle DB 5-11 185 So. Minneapolis (Minnesota State-Mankato)
5 Johnson, Johnny DB 5-9 200 Jr. Chicago, Ill. (Robeson)
45 Klitzke, Bryan DB 6-1 213 Jr. Chippewa Falls, Wis. (Chippewa Falls)
35 Krajnik, Chris DB 5-10 160 Fr. Two Rivers, Wis. (Two Rivers HS)
9 Lewis, Christyn DB 6-2 175 Jr. Fontana, Calif. (Citrus College)
Manuel, James DB 6-2 210 Fr. Indianapolis, Ind. (Warren Central HS)
3 Royston, Kim DB 5-11 193 Sr. Minneapolis, Minn. (Wisconsin)
29 Salamon, Shady DB 5-11 203 Jr. South St. Paul, Minn. (Cretin-Derham Hall)
27 Theret, Kyle DB 5-10 193 Sr. Murrieta, Calif. (J.K. Mullen High)

40 Tow-Arnett, Nathan DB 6-1 206 Jr. Redwood Falls, Minn.
Vereen, Brock DB 6-0 180 Fr. Valencia, Calif. (Valencia HS)
28 Watkins, Kenny DB 6-0 205 RFr. Detroit, Mich. (Brother Rice HS)

I bolded players likely to contribute in '10. Did I miss anyone?

Any word about how Shady has looked at DB? Glad to see him there -- never thought RB suited him that well at the collegiate level.

Not so fast

Faster? I didn't see anything on improved 10 yard, 40 yard, or shuttle times. Am I to assume it? The other thing with the secondary would be any improvement in vertical? Again to assume heavy players are stronger does not mean they are faster or quicker.

I think with normal lifting I would agree, but with correct lifting as these supervised programs employ they should be quicker along with an increase in strength and mass. In fact, it should be the basis of the program with size being the byproduct. I think you'll find they are indeed quicker. Faster?? Who cares.

Faster? I didn't see anything on improved 10 yard, 40 yard, or shuttle times. Am I to assume it? yes The other thing with the secondary would be any improvement in vertical? see below Again to assume heavy players are stronger does not mean they are faster or quicker.

Sorry but I do not have more details yet I did hear Coach Brewster clearly assert that his players are bigger, faster and stronger at The Big Ten Media Day, and that he had confirmed same with his S & C Coach, Mark Hill. FYI, I did hear however that verticals for players that moved up in size and strength went up as well. It certainly makes since.

Is Johnny Johnson playing safety? Also, Manual is bigger than Cooper. It might be hard to keep him off the field.

The surprise for me is that 6-2 Christyn Lewis is only 175lbs going into his Junior season. I bet he's at least 190 in 2011 after a year in the Gopher S&C program.

Sorry but I do not have more details yet I did hear Coach Brewster clearly assert that his players are bigger, faster and stronger at The Big Ten Media Day, and that he had confirmed same with his S & C Coach, Mark Hill. FYI, I did hear however that verticals for players that moved up in size and strength went up as well. It certainly makes since.

Sorry, I heard several other Big 10 coaches say their DBs are "bigger, stronger and faster" as well! How do we determine who's are the "biggest, strongest and fastest?"

Sorry, I heard several other Big 10 coaches say their DBs are "bigger, stronger and faster" as well! How do we determine who's are the "biggest, strongest and fastest?"

When Brewster said it, he sounded the most enthusiastic. So I've got to believe that our DB's have improved their size speed and strength more than any other team. Where we rank total is still up the air.

But really the only thing that jumps out here is that Michael Carter is 185. That's a good size for him.

Updated size and weights of DBs:

2 Collado, Ryan CB 5-9 182 Sr. Cincinnati, Ohio (Hills Christian )
Bouie, Tyrone DB 6-0 180 Fr. Sanford, Fla. (Seminole HS)
6 Carter, Michael DB 5-11 185 So. Pompano Beach, Fla. (Ely HS)
36 Haviland, Chase DB 5-9 177 RFr. Thief River Falls, Minn. (Lincoln HS)
34 Henderson, Kyle DB 5-11 185 So. Minneapolis (Minnesota State-Mankato)
5 Johnson, Johnny DB 5-9 200 Jr. Chicago, Ill. (Robeson)
45 Klitzke, Bryan DB 6-1 213 Jr. Chippewa Falls, Wis. (Chippewa Falls)
35 Krajnik, Chris DB 5-10 160 Fr. Two Rivers, Wis. (Two Rivers HS)
9 Lewis, Christyn DB 6-2 175 Jr. Fontana, Calif. (Citrus College)
Manuel, James DB 6-2 210 Fr. Indianapolis, Ind. (Warren Central HS)
3 Royston, Kim DB 5-11 193 Sr. Minneapolis, Minn. (Wisconsin)
29 Salamon, Shady DB 5-11 203 Jr. South St. Paul, Minn. (Cretin-Derham Hall)
27 Theret, Kyle DB 5-10 193 Sr. Murrieta, Calif. (J.K. Mullen High)

40 Tow-Arnett, Nathan DB 6-1 206 Jr. Redwood Falls, Minn.
Vereen, Brock DB 6-0 180 Fr. Valencia, Calif. (Valencia HS)
28 Watkins, Kenny DB 6-0 205 RFr. Detroit, Mich. (Brother Rice HS)

I bolded players likely to contribute in '10. Did I miss anyone?

I don't see any of the true Freshmen doing anything but redshirt.

DB's

You forgot to mention the two db's from Lackawanna CC that are still on the roster--no final decision on their player status has been made.

You forgot to mention the two db's from Lackawanna CC that are still on the roster--no final decision on their player status has been made.

It has been reported by multiple sources that they will not be joining the team due to early classes taken after graduation but before entering Lackawanna CC, at another Community College that apparently started their NCAA participation clock. Consequently, they would only have one year of eligibility. The U could not admit them under the circumstances likely because they would not be able to attain a degree in that timeframe from The University of Minnesota.

If you have heard something different, please advise.

I believe there is an appeal going. I haven't heard anything on how that is going.

Top Bottom