CFN Big Ten Preview

Maximus

Reaction score
http://cfn.scout.com/2/988944.html

Minnesota: 3-9, 0-8

They do have a win over MTSU....take that Sun Belt!

Unit Rankings:
Offense: 11th
QB: 5th
RB: 10th
WR: 11th
OL: 9th

Defense: 10th
DL: 10th
LB: 11th
DB: 6th

Special Teams: 4th

MTSU: You're on upset alert. Consider Murfreesboro warned.

Another Spinal Tap reference? Shark Sandwich for the 2010 Gophers.

Strictly speaking, they are saying that we are going to go 3-1 in non-conference. They don't say who we will lose to. :D

They expect us to be better on offense, but lose all of our Big Ten games.

I like this. Expectations are so low that we can't help but blow them away. Pick us to win ZERO Big Ten games, and it doesn't take much at all to smash this.

All this is based on unknowns. Every review seems built on every other review, all assuming that since we lose 9 starters, that the defense will be terrible. Perhaps it will, but they don't know that. Some of the reviews state a "confidence level" with their predictions, and of course they say their confidence level is high. 0-8 is a pretty bold prediction to make at all, let alone do so with high confidence, when it's based on unknowns. I think we might be able to sneak up on teams this year.

So long Brewster!

The last I checked, hiring and firing decisions were based on actual results. The Gophers haven't lost these games yet. It's just possible they might not lose them. You seem to take a lot of glee in the prospect of the Gophers losing.

The last I checked, hiring and firing decisions were based on actual results. The Gophers haven't lost these games yet. It's just possible they might not lose them. You seem to take a lot of glee in the prospect of the Gophers losing.

Not at all! Just saying if we go 0-8 in the Big Ten we have to get rid of him. I am rooting for an 8-0 season!

Not at all! Just saying if we go 0-8 in the Big Ten we have to get rid of him. I am rooting for an 8-0 season!

His seat would indeed get red hot if we actually go 0-8 in the Big Ten. I don't think we will, I think the offense will improve somewhat, and the defense won't nearly be as bad as the pundits think.

The article talks about "dumbing down" the offense, but it's not that at all. It's a simple concept, having a smaller number of things you do well instead of a lot of things that you don't do well. Lots of really good teams have offenses that aren't flashy, but they have it down pat.

Strictly speaking, they are saying that we are going to go 3-1 in non-conference. They don't say who we will lose to. :D

They expect us to be better on offense, but lose all of our Big Ten games.

I like this. Expectations are so low that we can't help but blow them away. Pick us to win ZERO Big Ten games, and it doesn't take much at all to smash this.

All this is based on unknowns. Every review seems built on every other review, all assuming that since we lose 9 starters, that the defense will be terrible. Perhaps it will, but they don't know that. Some of the reviews state a "confidence level" with their predictions, and of course they say their confidence level is high. 0-8 is a pretty bold prediction to make at all, let alone do so with high confidence, when it's based on unknowns. I think we might be able to sneak up on teams this year.

CFN is a total joke. THey are ignorant fanboys. I have posted in the past an article from MGO blog talking about the stupidity of CFN. I won't include that here but it sums it up well.

Can't wait to see the haters when the Gophers are having a good year.

For reference last year CFN ranked our defense: 11
DL: 11
LB: 10
DB: 11

That was ranking a 2009 defense that returned 9 starters from a 2008 defense that was middle of the pack.

CFN is a total joke. THey are ignorant fanboys. I have posted in the past an article from MGO blog talking about the stupidity of CFN. I won't include that here but it sums it up well.

Are you saying the genius Pete Fiutak ranking Thorton as the Gophers 10th best player for this season is ignorant?

http://cfn.scout.com/2/988944.html

Minnesota: 3-9, 0-8

They do have a win over MTSU....take that Sun Belt!

Unit Rankings:
Offense: 11th
QB: 5th
RB: 10th
WR: 11th
OL: 9th

Defense: 10th
DL: 10th
LB: 11th
DB: 6th

Special Teams: 4th

I predicted a Big Ten win as well and 4-8. Well I'm worried we'll be that bad, I'm hoping we're so much better. Either way, they can't bring Weber back next year, so that won't be hanging over our heads. There is going to be a lot of anger if we're 3-8 or 4-7 going into the Iowa game. The crowd will again be over 50% Iowa fans and it will get ugly. Let's hope we win some close games and will have a reason for everyone to show up against Iowa...

Brewster needs to step it up this year and prove to the world he is a legit big time college football head coach. I hope he does but he needs to step up big time this year.

there is NO chance

We do not win a game in the conference.

I know I said this before when they ranked our top 10 players, but these guys clearly have NO IDEA what they are talking about when they put Kim Royston as our #2 player. Nothing against Kim, but he might be the 5th best player on the DEFENSE.

And nothing against Rallis, I love him, but how can they put him as our #7 best player after playing sparingly as a freshmen, and then breaking a leg 2 or 3 games into the season last year......PLUS switching to a new position this year?

Where's Jehwan Edwards on the list?
Keenan Cooper? He played a TON last year.
Wilhite?
Kirksey?

CFN didn't do its homework.

No question CFN is a joke, but you have to admit, this was pretty funny:

"Another year, another Minnesota offensive coordinator. The new Spinal Tap drummer is Jeff Horton"

Loved the movie, but I doubt very much that Horton will self-combust.

The number that might really hurt would be 0-14 in rivalry games. That will hurt a lot of fans.

How many times have we heard this? I doubt this will be the year the Gophers shock the world. That being said, I predict a 6-6 (3-5) campaign for Minnesota.

How many times have we heard this? I doubt this will be the year the Gophers shock the world. That being said, I predict a 6-6 (3-5) campaign for Minnesota.

The poster you replied to didn't say "shock the world", merely speculated that the Gophers could have a good year. But if the consensus among football pundits is that the Gophers will win 2 or three games total, and none in the Big Ten, going 6-6 and 3-5 ought to count as a little bit of a shock, shouldn't it? The pundits then could respond with giving the Gophers some credit for exceeding expectations, or they could do a mea culpa for having gotten the predictions wrong.

The poster you replied to didn't say "shock the world", merely speculated that the Gophers could have a good year. But if the consensus among football pundits is that the Gophers will win 2 or three games total, and none in the Big Ten, going 6-6 and 3-5 ought to count as a little bit of a shock, shouldn't it? The pundits then could respond with giving the Gophers some credit for exceeding expectations, or they could do a mea culpa for having gotten the predictions wrong.

I think the expectation in the fan base is 6-6. Anything less will be a disappointment from a fans perspective. I hope the so called experts are wrong. It would be painfull to start in on a new rebuilding period at this point.

Frankly, I could care less about the opinion of a site that lists players who aren't on the team anymore in their rankings. Its very clear that CFN writes these things well in advance with the narrative that fits their view at that time and then never bother to reevaluate that based on any additional changes that took place before posting it. Its weak sauce.

Top Bottom