Chicago Sun-Times article says UK recruit paid $200K

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I can't believe that the Sun-Times would run an accusation such as this without a credible source. I would hope that the family and University would raise a big fuss over this unsourced accusation.

I will copy and paste the original article in case it gets edited as Jeff Goodman and Mike DeCourcy are alleging it will on Twitter:

Source: Davis will choose Kentucky

Anthony Davis, the 6-10 rising senior at Perspectives-Calumet who catapulted himself to national prominence this summer, has made his college choice.

He just isn't telling anyone what it is yet. According to his father, Anthony Davis Sr., the younger Davis made his decision on Monday but the family is still discussing the best way to announce it.

"Anthony knows where he wants to go, but we just aren't sure how to let everyone else know at this point," Davis Sr. said. "He's mentioned wanting to do it on television before. We'll be talking it over."

According to a reliable source, Davis will choose Kentucky. The Kentucky-based blog “Nation of Blue” has reported that two unnamed sources are also claiming Davis has chosen Kentucky.

Davis Sr. responded via text when asked Monday if Kentucky would be his son's choice: “Tell them 2 have fun guessing.”

Davis visited Kentucky on Sunday and DePaul on Monday. Both visits went well. Davis took a class trip to Ohio State last year. He hasn't visited Syracuse yet, which is the other school on his list.

Rumors that Davis’ commitment is for sale have surfaced since he cut his list of schools down about a month ago.

“There is all kinds of speculation and innuendo out there in the recruiting world regarding his recruitment and if it is going to turn seedy,” recruiting analyst Joe Henricksen said. “But that’s often the route that this story takes when you see a player emerge like this. Who knows what’s true and what’s not.”

The rumors/sources that have Davis choosing Kentucky are also alleging that the commitment cost $200,000. Davis Sr. has flat out denied everything.

“We haven’t asked anyone for anything and no one has offered us anything,” Davis Sr. said on Thursday at a club basketball event in Merrillville, Ind.

"It's a little unfair for a kid to have to listen to those type of rumors if they aren't true," Henricksen said.

Davis, who plays club ball for Meanstreets, is widely considered one of the top three prospects in the national class of 2011. The 6-10 center was a complete unknown—locally and nationally—as recently as April.

“During the high school season no one knew I existed,” Davis said. “I knew I could play. I haven’t been intimidated this summer. Things have definitely gotten intense, but it’s been fun.”

He exploded onto the national scene at a club basketball event in Indiana in mid-April.

“I didn’t want to go over the top after seeing him for just one time,” Henricksen said. “But after multiple times watching him play at various events it became abundantly clear that he was one of the best players in the country. He’s 6-10 and is incredibly skilled at passing, hitting a three, a soft mid-range jumper and he can absolutely disrupt things on the defensive end with his length and timing.”

Perspectives-Calumet plays in the Public League Blue-West, a conference which receives almost no media attention. Davis didn’t play any club basketball until this spring.

“He’s more than legit,” Henricksen said. “In April or May you could have maybe said he was an internet sensation or whatever, but after some of the signature performances there is now a consensus among local and national guys that he is definitely one of the top three or five players in the country.”

Henricksen said that Davis ranks among the top ten prospects he’s seen in Illinois, a list that includes Kevin Garnett, Derrick Rose and Quentin Richardson.

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/2566462,080410-anthony-davis-kentucky.article

Go Gophers!!

I can't believe that the Sun-Times would run an accusation such as this without a credible source. I would hope that the family and University would raise a big fuss over this unsourced accusation.

I will copy and paste the original article in case it gets edited as Jeff Goodman and Mike DeCourcy are alleging it will on Twitter:

Source: Davis will choose Kentucky

Anthony Davis, the 6-10 rising senior at Perspectives-Calumet who catapulted himself to national prominence this summer, has made his college choice.

He just isn't telling anyone what it is yet. According to his father, Anthony Davis Sr., the younger Davis made his decision on Monday but the family is still discussing the best way to announce it.

"Anthony knows where he wants to go, but we just aren't sure how to let everyone else know at this point," Davis Sr. said. "He's mentioned wanting to do it on television before. We'll be talking it over."

According to a reliable source, Davis will choose Kentucky. The Kentucky-based blog “Nation of Blue” has reported that two unnamed sources are also claiming Davis has chosen Kentucky.

Davis Sr. responded via text when asked Monday if Kentucky would be his son's choice: “Tell them 2 have fun guessing.”

Davis visited Kentucky on Sunday and DePaul on Monday. Both visits went well. Davis took a class trip to Ohio State last year. He hasn't visited Syracuse yet, which is the other school on his list.

Rumors that Davis’ commitment is for sale have surfaced since he cut his list of schools down about a month ago.

“There is all kinds of speculation and innuendo out there in the recruiting world regarding his recruitment and if it is going to turn seedy,” recruiting analyst Joe Henricksen said. “But that’s often the route that this story takes when you see a player emerge like this. Who knows what’s true and what’s not.”

The rumors/sources that have Davis choosing Kentucky are also alleging that the commitment cost $200,000. Davis Sr. has flat out denied everything.

“We haven’t asked anyone for anything and no one has offered us anything,” Davis Sr. said on Thursday at a club basketball event in Merrillville, Ind.

"It's a little unfair for a kid to have to listen to those type of rumors if they aren't true," Henricksen said.

Davis, who plays club ball for Meanstreets, is widely considered one of the top three prospects in the national class of 2011. The 6-10 center was a complete unknown—locally and nationally—as recently as April.

“During the high school season no one knew I existed,” Davis said. “I knew I could play. I haven’t been intimidated this summer. Things have definitely gotten intense, but it’s been fun.”

He exploded onto the national scene at a club basketball event in Indiana in mid-April.

“I didn’t want to go over the top after seeing him for just one time,” Henricksen said. “But after multiple times watching him play at various events it became abundantly clear that he was one of the best players in the country. He’s 6-10 and is incredibly skilled at passing, hitting a three, a soft mid-range jumper and he can absolutely disrupt things on the defensive end with his length and timing.”

Perspectives-Calumet plays in the Public League Blue-West, a conference which receives almost no media attention. Davis didn’t play any club basketball until this spring.

“He’s more than legit,” Henricksen said. “In April or May you could have maybe said he was an internet sensation or whatever, but after some of the signature performances there is now a consensus among local and national guys that he is definitely one of the top three or five players in the country.”

Henricksen said that Davis ranks among the top ten prospects he’s seen in Illinois, a list that includes Kevin Garnett, Derrick Rose and Quentin Richardson.

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/2566462,080410-anthony-davis-kentucky.article

Go Gophers!!

I sent it to UK AD and Compliance Director today.

It's completely false (the $200K part). The UK commitment may be accurate.

Thats the point, Calapari will "know nothing about it" when they get caught 2 years after he is coaching some where else.

I sent it to Mitch (Barnhart) and Sandy (Bell) as soon as I read it. No doubt other UK fans beat me to it.
We appreciate you putting their last names in parentheses for us.

No doubt if you had just written their first names, we poorly-networked internet underlings here on Gopherhole would probably have no idea who they are (we have not developed personal relationships with them like you have, and thus don't have the honor of referring to them on a first name basis).

You are well on your way to proving that you are the most well-connected poster in the history of Gopherhole. And for that, I :clap: you.

We appreciate you putting their last names in parentheses for us.

No doubt if you had just written their first names, we poorly-networked internet underlings here on Gopherhole would probably have no idea who they are (we have not developed personal relationships with them like you have, and thus don't have the honor of referring to them on a first name basis).

You are well on your way to proving that you are the most well-connected poster in the history of Gopherhole. And for that, I :clap: you.

I've known Sandy since 2000 and Mitch since 1998. The Daniels family introduced me to the former, and my stepdaughter to the latter.

Kind of funny though, UK sends off a response to Michael O'Brien and they start out with Dear Mr. Brien. They must think O is his middle initial.

UK would not allow it to happen. UK gets the Death Penalty from NCAA if it ever happens again.

All the more reason to deny it. I mean, seriously, you email UK and you come back on here and say "it is false, they told me so." Do you really think if it were true that Barnhart would just drop you an email and say "yep, they caught us."

I have no idea if this is true or not. Would tend to think it isn't. But, you declaring it untrue because the UK AD told you so does nothing to prove or disprove the truth. That AD was going to tell you it was false either way.

I sent it to UK AD and Compliance Director today.

It's completely false (the $200K part). The UK commitment may be accurate.

FOT seriously. I'm sure if it's true your good friends Mitch and Sandy would have told you so right in thier reply email. :rolleyes: 'Yes FOT, it's true, we did it. Please don't tell anyone. Thanks.'

All the more reason to deny it. I mean, seriously, you email UK and you come back on here and say "it is false, they told me so." Do you really think if it were true that Barnhart would just drop you an email and say "yep, they caught us."

I have no idea if this is true or not. Would tend to think it isn't. But, you declaring it untrue because the UK AD told you so does nothing to prove or disprove the truth. That AD was going to tell you it was false either way.

Ha. Your faster then me. Sorry for the repeat

FOT seriously. I'm sure if it's true your good friends Mitch and Sandy would have told you so right in thier reply email. :rolleyes: 'Yes FOT, it's true, we did it. Please don't tell anyone. Thanks.'

UK didn't pay $200K for a commitment that isn't even announced yet.

Of course not.

A school would never agreeto pay any recruit to come to the school. That doesnt mean friends of the program didnt pay the athlete to come to the school. Its Kentucky we are talking about where winning just is not enough. The University may have not payed a player to come to the school but i wouldnt be shocking if a friend of Kentucky's or Coach Cal didnt pay the kid to come to the school. I am not sure their is anything to this claim but its not hard to believe money exchanged hands who passed it is really not of importance if he got the money. Kentucky should be penalized like any other school if it did. They hired a known college cheated in Cal or rather they hired a coach known to hang out with cheaters.

FOT......or is he FOMS knows. They told him directly ya know.

A school would never agreeto pay any recruit to come to the school. That doesnt mean friends of the program didnt pay the athlete to come to the school. Its Kentucky we are talking about where winning just is not enough. The University may have not payed a player to come to the school but i wouldnt be shocking if a friend of Kentucky's or Coach Cal didnt pay the kid to come to the school. I am not sure their is anything to this claim but its not hard to believe money exchanged hands who passed it is really not of importance if he got the money. Kentucky should be penalized like any other school if it did. They hired a known college cheated in Cal or rather they hired a coach known to hang out with cheaters.

UK did that regularly in the 60's - 70's - 80's but hasn't since then (in basketball). They continued to pay some football players in the 90's but don't do that any more, either.

I know of only 2 NCAA violations at schools where Calipari has coached - the NCAA specifically exonerated him in both cases.

FOT - I'm wondering if you know what your friend Tubby Smith thinks of your friend Mitch Barnhart? Good buds, are they?

FOT - I'm wondering if you know what your friend Tubby Smith thinks of your friend Mitch Barnhart? Good buds, are they?

I don't know but I GUESS that neither sends the other a Christmas card.

Mitch treated Tubby with little respect in 2006-07 and I doubt Tubby liked that.

Last I knew of what Mitch thought of Tubby:

Thanks. Great information. I appreciate your support of Tubby.

Mitch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:47 PM
To: Barnhart, Mitchell
Subject: I Doubt You Get Many Factual Notes On Tubby Smith

But I'll try hard to make this one fit the bill. I simply get tired of reading the (blank) on the Cats Pause website or in the Lexington Herald-Leader. I wish that UKAA would do a better job of presenting factual information about Tubby Smith but I don't see it happening often enough.

Tubby Smith is clearly among the Top 5-10 coaches active in Men's Div I college basketball today. He ranks 8th among active coaches in career W-L (%) record. He ranks 6th among active coaches in career W-L (%) record in NCAA tournament games. He ranks 5th (all-time) in most W in first 15 years as a head coach. He ranks 4th among active coach in career W per season. He is one of only 6 active coaches to have a career W-L (%) record of 70% or better in all games AND NCAA tournament games - the other 5 are Coach K at Duke, Roy Williams at UNC, Rick Pitino at Louisville, Tom Izzo at Michigan State, and Jim Calhoun at Connecticut.

In his 9 years at UK, his W-L record is 241-71 (77.2%) overall. His NCAA tournament record is 22-8 (73.3%) at UK. In that timeframe, only 3 schools have more W than UK under Tubby Smith - Duke, Kansas, and Connecticut. In that timeframe, only 3 schools have more NCAA tournament W than UK under Tubby Smith - Duke, Connecticut, and Michigan State. That's right - UK ranks 4th in both categories under Tubby Smith.

Tubby's 3 immediate predecessors at UK were 604-190 (76.1%) from 1973 through 1997 (25 years). They were 47-17 (73.4%) in NCAA tournament games in that timeframe. Tubby Smith has a slightly better overall W-L (%) record and about the same NCAA tournament W-L (%) record as his 3 immediate predecessors at UK.

Adolph Rupp was 425-110 (79.4%) in his last 20 seasons at UK. But he was 18-16 in NCAA tournament games during those years, making 2 Final Four appearances and winning one NCAA title in those 20 seasons. Both were significantly lower than his first 21 seasons at UK (451-80 for 84.9% and 12-2 in NCAA games, making 4 Final Four appearances and winning 3 NCAA titles).

UK has won 1926 of 2522 (76.4%) games in its basketball history. Tubby Smith has won 77.2% of his games at UK.

Kentucky has won 99 of 142 (69.7%) NCAA tournament games in its history. Tubby Smith has won 73.3% of his NCAA games at UK.

I hear some UK "fans" lamenting the fact that UK has only been to the Elite 8 twice in this decade (2000 through 2006). Only 4 teams have been more often than UK in this decade - Michigan State (4 times), Connecticut, Arizona, and Kansas (3 times apiece). Duke and North Carolina have been to just two Elite 8's this decade. Florida, twice.

I hear some UK "fans" longing for a return of Tubby's most immediate predecessor (Rick Pitino). Tubby is 3-2 versus him in the past 5 seasons. Tubby is 131-38 in the past 5 seasons, while Coach Pitino is 118-48 at the same time. Tubby has defeated both Duke and North Carolina on the court. Coach Pitino has never beaten either team.

In his great book They Call Me Coach, John Wooden states "No coach can win consistently without talent." Tubby Smith has 13 consecutive seasons of 20 W or more - only Roy Williams and Lute Olson of Arizona have more. Tubby Smith has made 13 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances - only Olson, Williams, and Bob Huggins of Kansas State have more. Since Tubby Smith has shown a proven ability to win consistently, he surely must be acquiring the necessary talent (recruiting) to do so. His average W-L record at UK is about 27-8. With 100% his own recruits (2003 through 2006), his W-L (%) record is 109-28 (about 80%) in the past 4 seasons.

I believe that the above makes a strong case that Tubby Smith "measures up" to both his predecessors at UK and his peers in modern Div I Men's basketball history.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:47 PM
To: Barnhart, Mitchell
Subject: I Doubt You Get Many Factual Notes On Tubby Smith
That is beyond being a fan FoT; your love for Tubby is approaching something truly fanatical.

P.S. I was wondering how you have so much time to post on Gopherhole and the rest of the message boards you frequent, but after reading your resume....it makes sense...you're basically an independent property risk control consultant eh? (note: I wouldn't have posted the link, but since you put your name and information out there for the whole board to read, I thought you'd given up your desire for anonymity).

That is beyond being a fan FoT; your love for Tubby is approaching something truly fanatical.

P.S. I was wondering how you have so much time to post on Gopherhole and the rest of the message boards you frequent, but after reading your resume....it makes sense...you're basically an independent property risk control consultant eh? (note: I wouldn't have posted the link, but since you put your name and information out there for the whole board to read, I thought you'd given up your desire for anonymity).

I'm very good at multi-tasking. I work 8 hours a day like most people do.

I'm NOT independent, I work 100% for a particular company. I am often asked to give talks to groups like ASIS. I'm licensed PE, Fellow of SFPE, Level 3 IR thermographer, and ABCP certified. To wit:

Education – BS Interdisciplinary Engineering (Engineering Management), Purdue University, West Lafayette IN,
December 1974  Engineering Management is combination of Industrial Engineering and Management curricula

Training
• SFPE Automatic Sprinklers & Water Supply, Fire Detection & Alarms, Quantitative Fire Hazard Analysis, Fire Dynamics, Industrial Fire Risk Analysis, Explosion Protection, Flammable/Combustible Liquids, and FPE Risk Concepts
• HSB/PLC Industrial Fire Brigades and Power Plant Fire Protection
• NFPA Industrial Fire Protection and Life Safety Code and IRI Industrial Fire Risks
• AIChE Process Safety, Fire/Explosion Hazards, VCE/BLEVE/Flash Fires, and ChE Processes
• Disaster Preparedness Summit on Business Continuity Planning and NFSA Sprinkler Options in IBC & NFPA 101
• American Trainco (MTAA) Basic Electricity and Square D/Schneider Elect Arc Flash & Electrical Safety/NFPA 70E
• Lewellyn Technology Basic Industrial Electricity / NFPA 70E Arc Flash Safety

Professional
• Professional Engineer (PE) in Connecticut by NCEES Fire Prot Exam (1987) and Certified Level 3 Infrared Thermographer (2010) plus Associate Business Continuity Professional (2007) from DRII
• CNA Chairman’s CARE Award in 2007 (for leadership of Infrared Thermography in 2005-06-07)
• Fellow (2004) SFPE (Education Committee 1985–2009) and Chicago Chapter (Past President 1998, Finnegan Award 2003)
• SFPE Qualifications Board 1990–96, Board of Directors 1998–2001, VP (Education) 2002–05, Ahern President’s Award 2005, Vice Chair (Board of Governors) Educational & Scientific Foundation 2007–10
• Member NFPA (Industrial FP Board 1993–2009 and Secretary 2003–08, Lifetime Achievement Award 2010) and Illiana Chapter (Past President 1988)
• Alternate NFPA 68 & 69 Explosion Protection 1993–2002 and NFPA 35 Manufacture of Organic Coatings 1997–2002 plus Principal NFPA 12 Carbon Dioxide 1985– 86
• Member NFPA Industrial, Latin American, Healthcare, Education, and BFSS sections
• Edison Electric Institute (EEI) Fire Protection Task Force 1983–87

Other
• “NGFA Grain Dust Explosion Research” at SFPE/NFPA events and published (1993) in Industrial Fire Safety
• “Fire Fighting at Grain Facilities” at BOCA Cracker Barrel in 1993 and published (1994) in Fire Engineering
• “Fire Pump Testing and Maintenance” published (2000) in PM Engineer
• “Fire and Explosion Control in Feed Mills” published (1995) in Feed Manufacturing Technology – Volume IV
• “Fire and Emergency Evacuation Alarms” at GEAPS Annual Meeting in 1996
• “Fire Protection System Reliability” at AOCS Processing Safety Annual Meeting in 1994
• “Browns Ferry Fire and Impact on NRC Regulations” at ComEd Engineering Conference in 1986
• “OSHA Fire Protection and Emergency Action Plans” at Seyfarth Shaw OSHA Seminar in 1992
• “Global Risk Engineering Methods” at NFPA Annual Meeting in 1998
• “SFPE in the 3rd Millennium” at 3rd ICFRE Conference in 1999
• “Explosion Protection – Deflagration Venting and Suppression” at BOCA Cracker Barrel in 1998
• “Best Practices in FPE” at SFPE and IFC (World Bank) in 2004
• “Savings From CNA Infrared Thermography Program” at Inframation in 2006–2008–2010 plus Plant Services 2009
• “Find Hot Spots By Using IR To Your Advantage” published (2006) in The Fabricator
• “Limiting Risks Through Business Continuity Planning” by Insurance Journal Webcast in 2007
• “Limiting Your Risk Through BCP” at ASIS North Shore (IL) Chapter in 2008
• “How To Build Your BCP” at FEI Toledo OH Chapter in 2008 plus SORCE classes in Dallas and Cleveland in 2009
• “CNA Infrared Thermography Program” at Michigan Safety Conference in 2008
• “NFPA 30 Flammable Liquids – 2008 Changes and Case Study” at Chicago SFPE chapter in 2008 and IFPA in 2010
• “Hurricane Preparedness, Flammable Liquids, Emergency Planning, Protection for Cold Storage Warehouses, Crisis Management, Life Safety and Infrared Thermography” CNA Risk Control webinars in 2009 and 2010
“Infrared Thermography Saves Energy and Avoids Losses” in CPCU Loss Control Newsletter

Top Bottom