Decker at Broncos Training Camp

Reaction score
I thought I would share a few pictures I snapped at Broncos training camp yesterday. I know they aren't anything special but you would be surprised how hard it is to get a good spot with a certain QB wearing number 15 on the field.

Decker looked O.K. out there, in the early drills he looked sharp but later on in the 7 on 7 and pass skelly he dropped several passes. Speed wise he looks like he has what it takes but definitely looks a bit like a rookie out there. He'll be fine.

...IF your interested... Tebow looked like a rookie as well. Definitely third string to Orton and Quinn. I HATE saying it but Orton actually looked pretty good, missing maybe one pass all day. Tebow just simply throws ducks 60% of the time and lacks accuracy.

Sorry if your bored with this, I know I'm probably the only one here that is willing to admit he's a Broncos fan right now.. all I have in defense is that we have two Lombardi trophy's in the case. Dang it i miss Elway... and especially now Shanny...

Attachments

• P8020016.jpg
    P8020016.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 140

Thanks for the pics and updates. Being a college fb fan, I am always interested in hearing how well great college players adapt to the NFL. The Broncos will be an interesting team to watch. They will be especially fun to watch if Decker is able to get on the field a lot this season.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before but I guess there is a little conflict with Decker getting his old #7 at DENVER. Hmmmm.... I wonder why? :)

I don't know why I didn't think of this before but I guess there is a little conflict with Decker getting his old #7 at DENVER. Hmmmm.... I wonder why? :)

Aside from the Elway factor, WR/TEs in the NFL can only wear 80-89 and 10-19.

Thanks for the update. I'm really pulling for Decker and excited to see him this fall. I'm sort of a Broncos fan since I moved to Denver last year. Still Vikes #1 though.

I hope Tebow figures it out. I'm a huge fan of him. I don't know if there's a better "person" in football than him.

Thanks for the update. I'm really pulling for Decker and excited to see him this fall. I'm sort of a Broncos fan since I moved to Denver last year. Still Vikes #1 though.

I hope Tebow figures it out. I'm a huge fan of him. I don't know if there's a better "person" in football than him.

just because he is suppose to be religious doesn't make him the best person in football. He just had the media treat him and his coach better then they have ever treated anyone else in the history of the ncaa. Case in point, Lane Kiffin is a probably a scum bag BUT he gets kicked in the media everyday. Urban myer is a great football coach, but he has been shown to be a jerk and his football team is filled with players who get arrested all the time, but still the media says how great of a guy he is and how he runs a classy program.

I thought I would share a few pictures I snapped at Broncos training camp yesterday. I know they aren't anything special but you would be surprised how hard it is to get a good spot with a certain QB wearing number 15 on the field.

Decker looked O.K. out there, in the early drills he looked sharp but later on in the 7 on 7 and pass skelly he dropped several passes. Speed wise he looks like he has what it takes but definitely looks a bit like a rookie out there. He'll be fine.

...IF your interested... Tebow looked like a rookie as well. Definitely third string to Orton and Quinn. I HATE saying it but Orton actually looked pretty good, missing maybe one pass all day. Tebow just simply throws ducks 60% of the time and lacks accuracy.

Sorry if your bored with this, I know I'm probably the only one here that is willing to admit he's a Broncos fan right now.. all I have in defense is that we have two Lombardi trophy's in the case. Dang it i miss Elway... and especially now Shanny...

I'm a Broncos fan as well. I too miss Shanny and Elway. It's a sad day that Pat Bowlen made that call. Anyway, it's good to see Decker is out there, I think he'll be fine.

According to a Broncos blogger on the Denver Post, Decker would be the 8th WR as of now...Sounds like he'll be cut or put on the PUP or IR.

The blog in question is quite far down under the heading "Brandon Lloyd #3 Receiver" -

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/

I don't make this stuff up...he's listed as 8th on the depth chart. No NFL team can carry 8 WR's so, I opined that he'll wind up on the IR or PUP or Practice Squad unless he improves dramatically or they have injuries...He is in danger of being cut if he doesn't impress more. Here's the text of the blog:

If the season were starting today, the Broncos’ starting three receivers — if they opened in a three receiver set — would be Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Lloyd.

The second set of receivers consists of Brandon Stokley, Matt Willis and Kenny McKinley.

The rookies — Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker — are with the third unit.

The blog post doesn't say anything about Decker being unimpressive, nor is it any sort of formal depth chart. By your proposed logic, Demaryius Thomas who was a 1st round pick and is the 7th name listed, isn't going to make the squad either?

Thomas and Decker are both rookies in training camp, obviously they're going to do a lot of work with the third team.

If Decker isn't--at minimum--the 6th WR on the depth chart in the Broncos first game, I'll eat my hat.

The blog in question is quite far down under the heading "Brandon Lloyd #3 Receiver" -

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/

I don't make this stuff up...he's listed as 8th on the depth chart. No NFL team can carry 8 WR's so, I opined that he'll wind up on the IR or PUP or Practice Squad unless he improves dramatically or they have injuries...He is in danger of being cut if he doesn't impress more. Here's the text of the blog:

If the season were starting today, the Broncos’ starting three receivers — if they opened in a three receiver set — would be Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Lloyd.

The second set of receivers consists of Brandon Stokley, Matt Willis and Kenny McKinley.

The rookies — Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker — are with the third unit.

You're surprised that a rookie is starting out at the bottom of the depth chart?

He will not start this year, but he will make the roster - quite comfortably. Matt Willis and Kenny McKinley are warm bodies who are higher right now because they have (a very minimal amount of) experience.

Also, good job injecting your own opinions and making them appear to be those of the writer. The article doesn't "sound like" anything. You're supposing that based on your own (bizarre and misinformed) opinion that highly-drafted rookies should be with the starting unit immediately or they are in danger of being cut.

Based on what the author of this thread wrote above ref "Dropped Passes" and "looking like a rookie" out there, combined with the blogger's take that Thomas is more likely to break into the rotation, I don't think its a lock at all that Decker makes the opening day roster as an active player.

I am rooting for him as much as anybody, but given his serious injury and apparent mediocre start in camp and current placement on the depth charts, its not looking too positive so far. Is there time to turn it around? Of course...but if I had to guess now, he won't be on the active roster unless somebody gets hurt in pre-season. I have a feeling his injury will actually land him on the IR...all they have to do is say he had a setback and they can effectively keep him around and give him a real shot next year.

Decker will be a fantasy sleeper....he's a gamer.

I thought the same as you until I read the blog at the Denver Post. Looks like Brandon Lloyd and Eddie Royal will be the primary targets with the Rookie(Thomas) emerging throughout the season.

Decker could emerge in 2011 with another year to rehab that foot/ankle and become more polished. Could also use someone like Lloyd washing out.

Moses87, maybe Denver should think about

moving Decker to tight end. Decker could then give Weber a few pointers about becoming a successful tight end.

You can't go off what unit the players are lining up with less than 1 week into training camp. If that were the case, the broncos first round pick and the # 22 pick overall would be the 7th receiver for the year. Everyone knows that won't happen. My bet is that the majority WRs currently comprising the second team will get cut before camp is over.

Top Bottom