Insult meet Injury

Texas seems to be doing everything it can to become BYU.

Can we sue them now, i wonder?

We had a contract, why not? If other schools would hold them to the contract, why shouldn't we? It's like handing over your lunch money to the school bully with a smile.

In any case, I prefer to look at this as "Texas backs out of playing Minnesota to play independent cupcake Notre Dame."

If we were to sue, it would make scheduling BCS opponents a lot more difficult in the future.

We had a contract, why not? If other schools would hold them to the contract, why shouldn't we? It's like handing over your lunch money to the school bully with a smile.

In any case, I prefer to look at this as "Texas backs out of playing Minnesota to play independent cupcake Notre Dame."

Here's another example of Maturi not being capable of looking out for Minnesota's best interests. He had a contract with Texas to play 2 upcoming games, and he let them out of the contract. He was quoted as saying something like we could have put up a fuss, but that's not how we do things.

I wish he had the balls to put on his Dr. Evil face and say "If you want it back, you're going to have to pay me... one-million-dollars (laughter), sorry, one-hundred-billion-dollars." :D

If we were to sue, it would make scheduling BCS opponents a lot more difficult in the future.

Would it really? Don't other schools hold teams to the terms of their contracts? And if it did, do we really want to put schools on the schedule if the ability to break the contract without reprecussions is a priority for them?

Bleh. Suing is kinda bush-league. They don't want to play us.

They did't want to play in the PacTen. They didn't want to play in the SEC. They didn't want to play in the Big Ten. Now they don't even want to play Big Ten teams at all. I know it's not PC to say so, but I think Texas is chicken*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

Notre Dame has had a lot of trouble competing with the Big Ten teams they play (Michigan, MSU, Purdue). And as mediocre as Minnesota has been the last two years, Minnesota finished ahead of both Purdue and Michigan in the '08 and '09 Big Ten standings. Only MSU has finnished ahead of the Gophers lately ... but Minnesota beat MSU in the only game played against them over the last two years.

This might be a nice brand-name match-up for Texas and Notre Dame. But ultimately these will be meaningless games all around. Though NBC and others will try hard to convince they are important.

What's bush league about insisting that the terms of a contract be upheld? Other schools have to buy their way out of a contract if they want out. Insisting that the terms of the contract be upheld is the norm. You let people take advantage of you like this, and they will keep doing it.

Here's another example of Maturi not being capable of looking out for Minnesota's best interests. He had a contract with Texas to play 2 upcoming games, and he let them out of the contract. He was quoted as saying something like we could have put up a fuss, but that's not how we do things.

I wish he had the balls to put on his Dr. Evil face and say "If you want it back, you're going to have to pay me... one-million-dollars (laughter), sorry, one-hundred-billion-dollars." :D

Maturi should have asked for a buyout. Instead, ol' limp wrist rolled over for them. He himself said they would have a good case if they sued them -- ask for a buyout, then!

What's bush league about insisting that the terms of a contract be upheld? Other schools have to buy their way out of a contract if they want out. Insisting that the terms of the contract be upheld is the norm. You let people take advantage of you like this, and they will keep doing it.

It depends on the language in the contract I suppose. But an injunction is almost certainly out of the question . So you're fighting for damages. And other programs have not had much success going that route--even when the cancellation is a lot more last-minute than this one. I have to assume this contract was similar.

The only possible advantage is if the facts made public would embarrass Texas. Even then, Minnesota doesn't really benefit. The Pac10, SEC and Big Ten would all benefit from embarrassing Texas. And this isn't Minnesota's war to fight.

What is the name of our top of the line athletic director? Don't worry, I'm sure that he has the best interests of the University of Minnesota football program somewhere in the back of his mind. Right behind all of the non-revenue and Title IX concerns. Isn't our AD the one who coined the phrase: "...what's good for the Women's Rowing team is good for the University of Minnesota..."

Top Bottom