Brewster "not concerned" about student ticket slump

There should be no reason why the student section doesn't sell out...commuter campus or not....with 50,000 students it is pretty sad if we can't sell it out. Hopefully the freshman coming in will buy up all their allotment and grad students as well.

Go Gophers!

It's not a commuter campus anymore, so that '80s excuse is out the window.

Win and they will come.

Let them party and they will come late and leave early.

Sell beer and they will come.

It's not just a Minnesota issue. Some of my great friends were students at Iowa when they made their 2002 run. I used to give them hell because many times they didn't even go into the stadium. They are big fans to this day, but getting hammered in the parking lot was the priority in their 21 year old state.

I'm not terribly concerned either. Sales are behind, but if those who are buying are more inclined to go to games than last year's buyers, this isn't a problem at all. We've sold just over half to the tickets. That's about 1000 less than this time last year, but I think we will get them sold one way or another.

The article gave the impression that the 2009 Gophers were a truly awful team. 6-7, 3-5 isn't good, but isn't awful either. But you can create that impression by how you choose who to interview. Part of the problem with student attendance was students who thought they were going to make money scalping them, and part was those who were only interested in the opening of the stadium and the Big Ten opener.

I wish everyone would stop wasting their energy trying to figure out the students. How many student tickets sold, when will they show up, etc. Offer 10k seats to the students every year. If they don't sell them out, offer the remaining seats to the general public. If the students show up late, not much anyone can do.

So 1,000 students bought tickets last year just because they wanted to be there when the new stadium opened. And they didn't really care much about football; probably only went to 2 games and are not buying this year.

Am I the only one who is surprised that the U is only 1,000 tickets off last year's pace?

So 1,000 students bought tickets last year just because they wanted to be there when the new stadium opened. And they didn't really care much about football; probably only went to 2 games and are not buying this year.

Am I the only one who is surprised that the U is only 1,000 tickets off last year's pace?

When it was announced that they had only 5000 out of 10000 sold, it made it seem like they were 5000 behind. Being 1000 behind, that's managable. It will remain to be seen how motivated students will be to attend, but if those disinterested students who only bought because it was cheap and the stadium was new are the ones who didn't renew, this is good.

And it's quite unfair to compare student attendance at Minnesota to Ohio State. Ohio State has the fourth largest stadium in the country, and the seventh largest stadium in the world. Yes, it's only the third largest stadium in the conference, but that's highly skewed, there are 6 stadiums in the country that seat 100K+ and three of them are in the Big Ten. Ohio State's attendance isn't some average to compare to.

Maturi says it's o.k. with him either way, if they all get sold or if they don't he's o.k. with it.

Before TCF a lot of students just waited and bought them with their books, that's what I always did. I assume they will still have decent sales from that once school starts.

Before TCF a lot of students just waited and bought them with their books, that's what I always did. I assume they will still have decent sales from that once school starts.

Bingo. Plus there are a number of freshmen and others who may not have registered yet.

Also remember that many thought that the student tickets would sell out the first week for last season. The numbers were really high really fast because nobody knew how long it was going to take for all the tickets to sell. Now that folks know that they have time, they are taking it.

Bingo. Plus there are a number of freshmen and others who may not have registered yet.

Also remember that many thought that the student tickets would sell out the first week for last season. The numbers were really high really fast because nobody knew how long it was going to take for all the tickets to sell. Now that folks know that they have time, they are taking it.

This is a possibillity, it may also be possible that the demand is decreasing for these tickets. When I was able to easily buy tickets for visiting friends last year for the Purdue game (homecoming game) for under face value on the street I didn't take it as a sign that the demand for the tickets was holding.

Now you have me worried. Availability of tickets for Big Ten Homecoming games in a brand new stadium is a very bad sign. What a shame.

Stadium expansion

The University needs to limit the student section if its not selling out. They can sell more tickets to the general public..and gradually increase the size of the student section over the years as demand warrants it. It would be nice if more students would go...but I am not overly concerned about it. They have had similar problems at a lot of the Big Ten schools. One concern that I do have...expanding TCF Bank Stadium too quickly. I think a full 50,000 seat stadium is better than a 75,000 seat stadium with lots of empty seats to many of the games.

The problem with the student section is the fact that it is separated into two decks and the way people end up in each deck. Some may have friends int he lower deck but have to go upstairs, that is when people just went down the surrounding sections' isles and down into the lower deck anyways. I always went at least an hour early to get lower deck seats (2hrs for the Wisco game) because they are actually going to have people watching the game a bit and the occasional flask snuck in. The upper deck was purely for the people who had been pregaming and went to the game as something to do instead of really watching the game. You can see, like in basketball how demand ($131 student tickets! They were 60 my freshman year!) directly affects the time and frequency of attendance. Also at the very least the tickets will eventually be sold because of the marquee opponents we have (think how many T-wolves tix will sell when the Heat are in town.) I was on the Student Stadium Advisory Committee and part of our job was to figure out how to get students to the game and to the game early with various activities the U could put on. Granted a lot of them were pipe dreams because these were college kids we were talking about, but some did go into affect. we'll see what year 2 holds with a competitive schedule. Also college kids are dead broke by the end of the year so funds wont necessarily go to tickets until they get through their Summer jobs.

Being from Wisconsin and attending many Badger football games prior to my current enrollment at the University of Minnesota it is almost laughable at the gameday experience here.

The tailgating prior to games all around campus started strong with the new stadium but was quickly squashed…why? The direct result was a lack of interest by students. There are no cheers, specific music (jump around, buttercup or other sing along songs and the sorts) or pump up songs that make the experience unique. The inability to pass tickets on to others who may not attend the University also affects attendance. What's the big deal there? Why not let these people in? Who knows, maybe they will enjoy the experience, spend money while at the stadium and buy tickets for the remainder or following season.

There is plenty the University can do to cater to the students on campus. Tailgating and partying prior to games is part of the college football tradition. For them to try and abolish this is absolutely ridiculous. I am all for regulating party's that are causing problems to the public or out of hand. Get some songs during the games that are unique and will be known at only Minnesota football games. Students have to get some cheers because they are absolutely dead during games. All of this is a relatively easy fix. Maybe I'm just used to the hectic atmosphere when it comes to Camp Randall and Madison gameday but with a beautiful new stadium, a few simple upgrades would give the Gophers that much more of a homefield advantage and make "The Bank" an intimidating place to play for opponents.

This is a possibillity, it may also be possible that the demand is decreasing for these tickets. When I was able to easily buy tickets for visiting friends last year for the Purdue game (homecoming game) for under face value on the street I didn't take it as a sign that the demand for the tickets was holding.

I talked to a couple of scalpers last year at that game as luck would have it since I had a friend who backed out at the last minute leaving me with 2 extras (I own 6 season tickets). I had a devil of a time selling them so after about a half hour I sold them to a scalper for less than face. I asked him what the deal was since the stadium was sold out and he said that two things were "killing him". One was StubHub and the other was that since it was well publicized the stadium was sold out, there were way fewer walk-ups than in the past. I literally had 2 offers for my seats (lower level seat back's) in a half hour. It seemed like there were way fewer people willing to risk driving down, finding game day parking in a new environment and walking to the stadium. I think that there is decent, not great demand for tickets, but the avenues people use to get them has changed.

Being from Wisconsin and attending many Badger football games prior to my current enrollment at the University of Minnesota it is almost laughable at the gameday experience here.

The tailgating prior to games all around campus started strong with the new stadium but was quickly squashed…why? The direct result was a lack of interest by students. There are no cheers, specific music (jump around, buttercup or other sing along songs and the sorts) or pump up songs that make the experience unique. The inability to pass tickets on to others who may not attend the University also affects attendance. What's the big deal there? Why not let these people in? Who knows, maybe they will enjoy the experience, spend money while at the stadium and buy tickets for the remainder or following season.

There is plenty the University can do to cater to the students on campus. Tailgating and partying prior to games is part of the college football tradition. For them to try and abolish this is absolutely ridiculous. I am all for regulating party's that are causing problems to the public or out of hand. Get some songs during the games that are unique and will be known at only Minnesota football games. Students have to get some cheers because they are absolutely dead during games. All of this is a relatively easy fix. Maybe I'm just used to the hectic atmosphere when it comes to Camp Randall and Madison gameday but with a beautiful new stadium, a few simple upgrades would give the Gophers that much more of a homefield advantage and make "The Bank" an intimidating place to play for opponents.

I agree with all of that. And nobody has been harder on the U of M than me for its lack of attention to enhancing the game day experience when it moved to the new stadium. For instance, I think someone should be fired for their refusal to encourage tailgating around the stadium.

Having said that, the kind of things you mention have to evolve naturally. While I think that the U should do more to have the band and cheer squads work together to create cheers that the students will participate in, just doing it doesn't make it successful. It's trial and error. I don't know this to be true, but my guess is that over at Wisconsin they played Jump Around one day without having any idea that it would become a tradition. My guess is that they played it one week, saw the reaction and said, "That was cool! Let's do that again next week!"

These things happen organically over time. As long as the U is trying, that's all they can do. Now ... how can we get them to try?

Good post, I was just going to start a new thread on this topic and will do so, but wanted to add my agreement to your points. Honest question for you with zero malice (don't feel compelled to answer if you don't wish to do so). Since you grew up in Wisconsin and attended UW games- why do you think it is that when many Minnesota kids go to UW they become Badger fans while many Wisconsin kids come here they stay Badger fans?

Good post, I was just going to start a new thread on this topic and will do so, but wanted to add my agreement to your points. Honest question for you with zero malice (don't feel compelled to answer if you don't wish to do so). Since you grew up in Wisconsin and attended UW games- why do you think it is that when many Minnesota kids go to UW they become Badger fans while many Wisconsin kids come here they stay Badger fans?

I'm from wisco and can say it's because of the way we're raised. It's bleed Packers and Badgers non-stop (actually one of the reasons I hate UW so much, just jammed down my damn throat). I've actually been told as well that if I didn't go to Madison, what was the point of going to college? and had several friends that didn't even apply anywhere else because they only wanted to go to UW - everywhere else was "second rate". It's seen as an ultimate goal to attend UW for college. at least 1/3 of my graduating class went there. I've noticed, only been up here two years now, that the atmosphere around the MN is totally different in that respect, where it's more "oh the U is there, and it's a good school" versus "You need to go to UW". When the UW mentality happens I think it creates more die-hard fans versus being the "backup" school.

Back to your point though, when you start cheering for a school so hard (since that's the way we were brought up) it's hard to just NOT become a fan anymore. I never cheered for the badgers, but my close friends that came here to school with me are indifferent during the MN badger games because "I've been cheering for them since I was little" is what they say when I ask them why they aren't cheering for their OWN school. idk, I don't understand that BS yet. But picture being a long-time Vikings fan, and then moving to Boston, let's say. You don't un-become a Vikings fan just because you live in Patriot territory.

I decided to stick it to everyone back home and didn't even apply to madison, those *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#s.

I apologize if I ranted

I agree. There's too much security and too many rules. It's really annoying to show up a half hour before game time and not make it to your seat for kick off. I think the atmosphere will develop over time. We have enough sponsored events, they should let some private endeavors flower.

I talked to a couple of scalpers last year at that game as luck would have it since I had a friend who backed out at the last minute leaving me with 2 extras (I own 6 season tickets). I had a devil of a time selling them so after about a half hour I sold them to a scalper for less than face. I asked him what the deal was since the stadium was sold out and he said that two things were "killing him". One was StubHub and the other was that since it was well publicized the stadium was sold out, there were way fewer walk-ups than in the past. I literally had 2 offers for my seats (lower level seat back's) in a half hour. It seemed like there were way fewer people willing to risk driving down, finding game day parking in a new environment and walking to the stadium. I think that there is decent, not great demand for tickets, but the avenues people use to get them has changed.

Very true. I bought my way into the first game for $100 and figured that I wouldn't be able to scalp tickets for anythin near face for the rest of the season after watching prices on stubhub, ebay and craigslist. I figured I'd wait until it got cold and prices would start to drop to face. I didn't realize things had changed until until Purdue. I picked off some decent seats the rest of the season.

Does anyone know hoe many regular season tickets are available. The last I heard it was a couple hundred.

This is no slight at the Gophers, because naturally I am a Gopher fan and still remain somewhat of a Badger fan. But to answer your question as to why people that head to Madison and become Badger fans compared to people that come to the U and remain Badger fans is mainly the quality of the programs.

Take a look at Wisconsin athletics. You have a hockey team that has arguably been better than Minnesota in the last decade (which should neverrr be the case with the talent and love for hockey in Minnesota compared to Wisconsin). Minnesota is has been mediocre and nothing worth being excited for for a few years now while Wisconsin is coming off a great year.

Wisconsin football is continually making January bowl games and field a competitive, 10-win team every year. The optimism around the team remains high going into each and every season. I think the 2 Rose Bowl titles still have something to do with it in that it is a strong and winning program that will contend for another one each and every year. This year is no different as they are in the Top-10 in nearly every ranking and return a legitimate Heisman contender in Clay.

The basketball team competes for a Big 10 title every year no matter the talent they bring in. Bo Ryan has to be considered one of the best coaches in the country with the recruits he brings in and how he develops his players. I know that is a tough pill for Gopher fans to swallow but it is the truth.

With 3 popular teams that compete for titles year in and year out, it is easy to become attached to your school's sports program much like Minnesota-grown students do when they go to Madison. It is also the reason Wisconsin kids who go to the "U" still root for the Badgers and their winning ways compared to Minnesota. There is no doubt that our basketball team here is taking the right steps, but the momentum has clearly stalled with subpar recruiting classes, considering White and Mbakwe haven't even touch the court yet. If, and ever, the football team becomes a force, the basketball team can compete with the Michigan States, Ohio States and Wisconsin's and the hockey team can return to dominance, you will see this notion go away.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the programs, it has nothing to do with how people were raised. It is %^&^$$# Minnesota Nice. At virtually every college, it's unthinkable to attend that college and be a fan of that school's rival. You'd be ostracized. It doesn't matter what the schools are. If you wear a Moorhead State shirt when you're a student at Bemidji State, and cheer for MSU-M, expect to get ostracized.

But not at Minnesota. No, here instead of having the attitide that every other college has, we have the "Oh, he wants to root for his hometown school. That's OK, don'cha know." Any other school, a student rooting against his alma mater, would expect that people would "accidentally" spill their drinks on him.

If being a fan of one school is important to you, don't attend that school's rival. People who are fan of one team, while attending that team's rival school seem to have utterly missed the connection between the team and the school that they represent. Are they aware that the team isn't a seperate entity, but actually repesents a school?

Take a look at Wisconsin athletics. You have a hockey team that has arguably been better than Minnesota in the last decade (which should neverrr be the case with the talent and love for hockey in Minnesota compared to Wisconsin).

Because it wasn't the case.

The last decade:

Minnesota: 2 national titles, 2 WCHA titles, 3 WCHA Final Five titles, 8 NCAA appearances, 3 Frozen Fours
Wisconsin: 1 national title (missed the NCAAs the next year), 0 WCHA titles, 0 WCHA Final Five titles, 6 NCAA appearances, 2 Frozen Fours

If being a fan of one school is important to you, don't attend that school's rival.

What if I really love the Gophers, but I really want to major in "Constant Wanton Drunkenness"?
Or get my degree in "Sex with Strangers in Public Restrooms"?
The U simply doesn't offer a major in "Arrogant Douchbaggery" with a minor in "Wondering Why all the Women who go to My School are so Completely Ugly"!

I'd almost have to go to the Universities of wisconsin, Iowa, and North Dakota, respectively, to pursue such careers. What a conundrum!!

Top Bottom