So many TE/LB Commits, what to do with the riches

Ole

Reaction score
With the new commit of Moore and the continued recruitment of Ramik Wilson and Benson Browne, anyone thinking position changes may be in line for some of these guys?

The best bet I think is either an emphasis on mixing in the 3-4, or a few of these guys are going to be fullbacks/DE's/DT's, or maybe even OL.

Rohr seems the best blocking TE we have so far, maybe could be a FB in a pinch? I know the Hback will be motioned into the backfield more to block under Horton.
Westerhaus to me doesn't look great on D, will probably stay with TE/H-back
LaCosse looks the part of a dominant pass catching TE/Hback, but honestly maybe even a WR/TE slot guy. I don't see him going to D. He's a really smooth runner, but doesn't seem to have the lower body strength off the bat to contribute on the line.
This Benson Browne guy is very big, maybe could be a LT prospect, already 6'7'' and 260+, similar build to Hageman. Wonder if the coaches see him as a OL/DL prospect and where his recruitment lies if Marz commits.

As for the LB's
Bauducco is a nice looking LB but, I could very easily see him transition to DE/DT, he's just got that square shouldered frame that could add 30-50 lbs and be really solid.
Matilus, Moore, and Vann seem to fit the Gary Tinsley mold, shorter, thicker OLB/DE types with great explosiveness and a mean streak(seriously love the way these guys play, every one of them has a highlight of them just abusing ball carriers) they could all play inside or out
I think if we somehow snag Ramik Wilson, he stays at LB.

Anyway to slice it, all these athletic and big framed kids are great for a program.

Load up with Wilson and Browne, add Marz and get some DB's and speedy offensive skill guys.

My thoughts on it:

1) Given that it's August, the chances of all these guys signing on the dotted line in February (whether due to decommitments or academic issues) is about 5%.

2) We've talked about it time and again, but Brewster clearly has a mantra of recruiting speed, agility, and natural athleticism, and letting it grow into its frame during college. He's taking that philosophy to a whole new level this year.

3) His first couple of years, he was recruiting little waterbugs all over the field for the spread. When he came to the realization that that didn't work, he still wanted speed, but was willing to give up a little of it in order to get bigger. He's trying to fit more into the Big Ten scheme of "3 yards and a cloud of dust" and taking size almost to an absurd extreme. I hope he doesn't go too far that way and we end up being big and slow all over the field. I think he's working to find a happy medium, though.

4) You bring up a great point, Ole. The commonality between all of the "non-skill" players Brewster has recruited is that they are ornery, mean, feisty guys. That is holding true this year more than ever. He seems to value tenacity almost as much as "measurables".

My thoughts on it:

4) You bring up a great point, Ole. The commonality between all of the "non-skill" players Brewster has recruited is that they are ornery, mean, feisty guys. That is holding true this year more than ever. He seems to value tenacity almost as much as "measurables".

Out of those ingredients great defenses are made.

Top Bottom