Recruiting: Bronson Koenig (2013)

Reaction score
He's been mentioned on here before, but as more of an aside. A great school :) recently offered him and Minnesota has interest, so a guy that us Gopher fans should keep an eye on...

Mark Miller has a new article up on Koenig.. ps, if you're not keeping up with what Mark has to say, you're missing out, the guy is good:

Bronson Koenig article - MMiller

I wouldn't call UW's offer to Koenig in June recent. :)

Bronson is apparently developing into a top flight prospect. Sounds like Dad wants UW, but son has said that UNC is the proverbial dream school. Should be interesting to watch him develop and see where he ends up.

I wouldn't call UW's offer to Koenig in June recent.

Jerkface. I dislike Becky like no other, but I have to admit you're the exception. Still can't comprehend liking a Wisconsin fan, but I'll admit you're 'OK'.

How big will this kid get? Seems like he has decent length at 6'1", but I haven't seen him in person in recent times... Great to see Wisconsin bball getting attention, no matter what happens. I will be cheering for Scott's squad a little this season... Aquinas!

How big will this kid get? Seems like he has decent length at 6'1", but I haven't seen him in person in recent times... QUOTE]

Fair question, but I don't know much more about him than you. I saw him in January at St. Paul Johnson, and came away impressed. I can't say I would have predicted the likes of UNC and Kansas would start getting involved, so he must be continuing to improve month by month. That certainly speaks pretty highly of him. He looked tall when I saw him (I would have said taller than 6'1"), but also pretty skinny. At the very least, he has some filling out to do.

Wisconsin has had a couple down classes the last few years (e.g. 2011, 2009, 2008), but the 2012 and 2013 classes look to be very, very good with multiple kids who look to be high major players. Hopefully the kids stay in state.

Wisconsin has had a couple down classes the last few years (e.g. 2011, 2009, 2008), but the 2012 and 2013 classes look to be very, very good with multiple kids who look to be high major players. Hopefully the kids stay in state.

Koenig is so young, looks like he could fill out just fine... don't know yet how real the interest is from the 'big guys', but great to see. 2012 looks potentially great and hopefully that becomes the norm... BTW - where are you located?

Koenig is so young, looks like he could fill out just fine... don't know yet how real the interest is from the 'big guys', but great to see. 2012 looks potentially great and hopefully that becomes the norm... BTW - where are you located?

Even if Koenig does not turn out to be UNC material, just the fact that UW and MU think he's good enough is a step up from some of the past classes. There have been some classes that haven't even had kids at that level. Deonte Burton looks like a 2013 stud too, though it sounds like he's headed to a prep school out east. Austin Mecca may have a chance as well, and the UW staff apparently spent some time watching Nick Fuller this past week.

I'm in Woodbury.

Even if Koenig does not turn out to be UNC material, just the fact that UW and MU think he's good enough is a step up from some of the past classes. There have been some classes that haven't even had kids at that level. Deonte Burton looks like a 2013 stud too, though it sounds like he's headed to a prep school out east. Austin Mecca may have a chance as well, and the UW staff apparently spent some time watching Nick Fuller this past week.

I'm in Woodbury.

You're right on the UW / MU attention. Great to see. Do you think there is a chance Ortiz gets to the high-major level?

I'm in South Minneapolis... I have not hit up high school games much in the past, but plan to attend a number of my Red Knights' games this year, definitely would like to shoot the **** in person.

You're right on the UW / MU attention. Great to see. Do you think there is a chance Ortiz gets to the high-major level?

I'm in South Minneapolis... I have not hit up high school games much in the past, but plan to attend a number of my Red Knights' games this year, definitely would like to shoot the **** in person.

Ortiz may have a chance, Dominican's Duane Wilson probably does as well. If Ortiz is to reach his potential, he will need to do some growing up. His big league pout at the state tournament this past March did not help Memorial. Those two, plus Koenig, are a very nice group of guard prospects in the 2013 class. I would take Koenig now and be happy though.

I will definitely take in a BSM game or two this winter. I like Isaiah Zierden and will be interested to see how he develops. You know you need to wear red in that gym, right? :cool02:

Ortiz may have a chance, Dominican's Duane Wilson probably does as well. If Ortiz is to reach his potential, he will need to do some growing up. His big league pout at the state tournament this past March did not help Memorial. Those two, plus Koenig, are a very nice group of guard prospects in the 2013 class. I would take Koenig now and be happy though.

I will definitely take in a BSM game or two this winter. I like Isaiah Zierden and will be interested to see how he develops. You know you need to wear red in that gym, right? :cool02:

No one is perfect... BSM's colors certainly are questionable. At least there are no 'W's in the name. In a couple of months, maybe we'll figure out a game to meet up at, and a fair bet, where the loser buys dinner at Manny's.

You Said It All!

GopherWarrior, it still is hard some times but through Ole, I've found it possible to actually be friends with a Wisconsin and Packer fan. Still uncomfortable seeing him bring his kids around dressed in badger gear and ready to rip the Gophers on demand but there is still time to change the young's ones mind, look how quickly he dropped BK for BWW.

Mark Miller is a good guy. He does his best to not show a bias as a Marquette fan, he does an excellent job with his wissports.net site. If you didn't know he was a MU fan. It would be hard for you to tell.

Here is another 2013 PG from Wisconsin that Minnesota has apparently shown some interest in. Duane Wilson is from Whitefish Bay Dominican and plays with the Playground Elite AAU program. Interesting from the Marquette perspective, that they have now offered two 6'1" PGs in the 2013 class.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=585

I will second Mark Miller as an oustanding reporter and person.

He's a veteran in this hoops analyst business and he's done an incredible job with Wishoops.

Per this update from Mark Miller, the Minnesota staff is continuing to show interest in Koenig, along with a number of other very nice programs:

"University of Virginia coach Tony Bennett spent a portion of Friday morning in La Crosse at Aquinas High School, watching class of 2013 point guard Bronson Koenig take part in an open-gym workout...

Meanwhile, Aquinas coach Rick Schneider said Friday coaches from Butler, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina and Wisconsin have called and plan to travel to La Crosse this month to watch the 6-foot-2 Koenig participate in open gym sessions."

http://www.wissports.net/article.asp?pageID=1&newsID=20395&sportID=1

I live in La Crosse less than a mile from Aquinas. My son and daughter graduated from there. I will have to make a point of seeing him play this season.

GopherWarrior ( I think )

I saw your tweet regarding Roy Williams being in Lacrosse to visit this kid, again?

Do you know if Minnesota has offered? This one is in our backyard, almost.

Top Bottom