Shooter and Sansevere on Tubby This Morning

Blizzard

Reaction score
Both Shooter and Sansevere have nice mentions on Tubby and team this morning :)

Apparently one thing that makes Tubby mad is asking him if he's here to stay ..

If you want to see Smith growl, just ask him about the possibility of leaving. No, don't. That infuriates him.

Nearly two years later, it still seems incredible that the University of Minnesota was able to land Tubby Smith as its men's basketball coach.

"It was just because it's a good place to come coach, and that's about it," Smith said Wednesday. "It was just an opportunity that was good for me, and hopefully it's been good for Minnesota."

It has been amazing for Minnesota. Smith's No. 18-ranked Gophers (15-1) play unranked Wisconsin (12-4) tonight in Madison, Wis.

Smith left a limelight job in Kentucky for the lowly Gophers, who in his second season appear destined for the NCAA tournament. Some of the country's best basketball minds who consider Smith as good as any coach in the nation still wonder how a guy of his caliber ended up at Minnesota.

The rest here -

http://www.twincities.com/ci_11456954

On and On with Tubby Smith ..

Sansevere -

The 15-1 Minnesota men's basketball team puts its No. 18 national ranking on the line tonight at Wisconsin. Here is Gophers coach Tubby Smith ...

On how often he has had teams where, as with this year's Gophers team, there seems to be a different standout player every game: "All my teams have been that way. Even (at Kentucky) Tayshaun (Prince) and Keith Bogans didn't average a lot of points. We wanted to teach them how to play the complete game. And we tried to surround them with better players. I really don't care about stars. I care about winning. If we had a Michael Jordan or a Dwyane Wade or a Kobe Bryant, he'd probably get most of the shots, and we'd probably have more geared toward him. Maybe some of them think they are (stars), but I don't see it right now."

More here -

http://www.twincities.com/sansevere/ci_11454423?nclick_check=1

The Minnesota self deprecating articles have got to stop. Please.

Lol .. if it keeps them in the local headlines it works for me.

What I think is nice is that the Gophers have slowly been moving to the front page of the sports sections as the season has gone on. For many of the games, at least in the Pioneer Press, they would be buried towards the end.

It's a nice change to see the guys getting so much press and they are becoming or have become our media darlings.

The Minnesota self deprecating articles have got to stop. Please.

I agree. As a Big 10 follower since 1969, the Gophers have usually produced tough opposition for Big 10 teams. The last few years were a rough patch but Minnesota has a very good basketball tradition.

"On what he says when an out-of-town recruit asks about how cold it gets in Minnesota: "I tell him, 'We play indoors, son.' In the summer, everybody is on the street and on the asphalt, playing outdoors. But once winter starts, everybody is playing indoors."

Love it.

Top Bottom