Tubby Smith: influence by example; says Donna "loves it here"

Not to slam on whoever (Maybe it was Doogie, though my memory might not serve me right), but I suspected/called out that it was BS when someone reported awhile back that Donna was unhappy here :)

Doogie takes a lot of things for granted when he reports. A lot that he speculates is true, he asserts as having knowledge of. He usually doesn't.

Not to slam on whoever (Maybe it was Doogie, though my memory might not serve me right), but I suspected/called out that it was BS when someone reported awhile back that Donna was unhappy here :)
In all fairness (I don't know either way), what's Tubby going to say? "Minnesota isn't what we thought it would be, Donna actually hates it here. She's miserable."

At that level, regardless of your true feelings, it's all about being politically correct. Witness all of the coaches at colleges around the country who say, "I love it here, this is my home, I'm not leaving" who end up leaving less than a month or two later. It's happened 4-5 times in the past year that I can remember.

Every single coach "loves his current city and team," right up until the moment they announce they've accepted elsewhere for an opportunity that is "too good to pass up."

I don't doubt Tubby and Donna love MN, I'm just saying that to suggest big-time coaches would suggest anything different but love and admiration for their city, team, etc. while they're employed there is naive to the realities of the coaching world today.

You're right about all that stuff, but it wasn't like Tubby was asked whether or not she liked it here. At least how the article made it sound, Tubby brought that up on his own and it wasn't exactly the topic. I don't think he was trying to prove anything there.

In all fairness (I don't know either way), what's Tubby going to say? "Minnesota isn't what we thought it would be, Donna actually hates it here. She's miserable."

At that level, regardless of your true feelings, it's all about being politically correct. Witness all of the coaches at colleges around the country who say, "I love it here, this is my home, I'm not leaving" who end up leaving less than a month or two later. It's happened 4-5 times in the past year that I can remember.

Every single coach "loves his current city and team," right up until the moment they announce they've accepted elsewhere for an opportunity that is "too good to pass up."

I don't doubt Tubby and Donna love MN, I'm just saying that to suggest big-time coaches would suggest anything different but love and admiration for their city, team, etc. while they're employed there is naive to the realities of the coaching world today.

Doogie takes a lot of things for granted when he reports. A lot that he speculates is true, he asserts as having knowledge of. He usually doesn't.

Just curious, but couldn't the same be written about your comments regarding Doogie? IOW:
"minngg takes a lot of things for granted when he describes how Doogie works. A lot that he speculates about and asserts as having knowledge of regarding Doogie ... well, he usually doesn't."

Unless you're either Doogie or you're shadowing him 24/7, I suspect you're speculating about how he operates and reports ... or is there another explanation?

I'll take coach at his word. I'm not going to be the cynic over the remarks he's made. All I know is that he carries himself with dignity and shows utmost respect to everyone. At his recent camp, young men lined up to get their photo and autograph with Tubby. Tubby threated each young man as if he were one of his own sons. We are fortunate to have Tubby, Donna and family be such an important part of our community.

Top Bottom