Omaha Herald: Chadron star Eliason gets an early taste of Division I; gains 20lbs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From the Omaha Herald article:

The fact that he had joined a Big Ten Conference program was reinforced the minute he stepped into the Golden Gophers' dressing room. “I saw my name above one of those lockers,” Eliason said. “That was my eye-opener.”

Eliason said he has improved his strength in his brief time in Minnesota. He has added 20 pounds since the end of the basketball season.

“I don't know if I look like it,” he joked, “but I've gotten a lot stronger.”

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100725/SPORTS/707259830/0

Lincoln Star article - Former Link set to face Eliason

http://journalstar.com/sports/high-...cle_208bb50a-984d-11df-9261-001cc4c002e0.html

Go Gophers!!

this kid got serious in the weight room. Is that some sort or record for how quick one of our players put on weight? i know it took Colt and Ralph til the beginning of last season to get where they wanted.

September 24, 2009
GH: What are you going to be working on the most this next year?
EE: I’m going to try to improve on offense, I want to get a little stronger, I’m only about 235, so I can put some strength on.

I didn't open the link, if he was 235lbs in September he has gained 10lbs since then, not the exaggerated 20lbs since his HS season ended.

I'm also 99% sure he was quoted saying he was now over 7'-0".

he looks like a legit 7 ft at pulley, Colt was standing next to him and he was noticably taller by about an inch or two.

he looks like a legit 7 ft at pulley, Colt was standing next to him and he was noticably taller by about an inch or two.

He looked like he wasn't ready for the intensity of the contact in the pulley games at first. But, he held his own rebounding and making offensive put backs. I think once he get over the original shock, and sees has the size to push back, he will be a very good D1 player. He's a little in awe of it all right now.

Ofcourse, I saw him playing against Mbakwe and that guy can push anyone around. I suspect Trevor will draw his share of fouls if he plays this year.

Eliason's team loses 82-81

Elliot ended up with 4 points, 13 rebounds and 6 blocks before fouling out. As with most all star games guards did most of the scoring.

I think Elliot is going to be a really good performer for the Gophers. He'll add some weight this year, get some experience in practice and learn the ropes by watching, then he'll step in and in a few years will be amongst the Big Ten's leading rebounders and shot blockers. We need a guy like that.

I also think Colton will have a nice year this year. If Colton can stay out of foul trouble, I see really big things from him. He'll surprise some people around the league.

September 24, 2009
GH: What are you going to be working on the most this next year?
EE: I’m going to try to improve on offense, I want to get a little stronger, I’m only about 235, so I can put some strength on.

July 25, 2010- On Monday at 8 p.m., the 6-foot-11, 245-pound Eliason will return to his high school roots when he plays in the Nebraska Coaches Association all-star game at Lincoln North Star.

May 29, 2011 To get into the mix for playing time, Eliason added 25 pounds of muscle to his 6-foot-11 frame to hit 250 on the scale.

I love how these guys throw around exaggerated weight numbers. I'm also 99% sure he was quoted saying he was now over 7'-0".

May 29, 2011 To get into the mix for playing time, Eliason added 25 pounds of muscle to his 6-foot-11 frame to hit 250 on the scale.

I love how these guys throw around exaggerated weight numbers. I'm also 99% sure he was quoted saying he was now over 7'-0".

Ah, but he may have added 25 pounds of muscle and dropped 15 pounds of fat...

"I love how these guys throw around exaggerated weight numbers. I'm also 99% sure he was quoted saying he was now over 7'-0".

Like a lot of these braggarts, I am at my ideal weight if I were 9'4" tall. (Compliments of Norm on Cheers.)

Redshirt season

July 25, 2010- 245

May 29, 2011 - 250

Up only 5lbs over nearly a year.

July 25, 2010- 245

May 29, 2011 - 250

Maybe, as alluded above, he lost 20 lbs. last Fall/Winter (more chicken & vegetables, heavy practice/training schedule as a redshirt), but has since gained 25 pounds of better weight during the off-season.

My weight goes up and down and when I talk about any weight gain I've made, it is generally in relation to my most recent low point and not in relation to a previous high point.

Maybe, as alluded above, he lost 20 lbs. last Fall/Winter (more chicken & vegetables, heavy practice/training schedule as a redshirt), but has since gained 25 pounds of better weight during the off-season.

Not saying he hasn't gained some muscle and done the right things in the weight room; He was very thin, with little body fat when I watched him play last July. He already out weights Ralph by 8-9lbs and is shy of Colton by 8-9lbs, so not ban.

July 25, 2010- 245

May 29, 2011 - 250

During a red-shirt season I would think he could gain more, however a 7'-0" 250lbs (red-shirt) freshman with some touch and aggressiveness sounds good to me.

Yea, 250lbs ain't too bad as long as he has spirit and skills. It probably will take two more years for his body to really mature.

I also doubt that the reported weights were and are truly accurate. :)

Top Bottom