Big article in Memphis Commerical Appeal about Trevor's legal case

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Is it normal for the defense to be giving tips/ideas to the prosecution (not that they probably didn't think of this themselves, but now the defense has admitted that they lost track of Dunn, didn't know he was at Memphis recruiting Trevor and now is providing ideas to the presecution on holes to go after a key witness). From the article:

Dunn was one of Mbakwe's coaches at Miami Dade College at the time of the alleged assault.

Dunn finds himself in a ticklish position testifying for a player his program is recruiting.

"I can tell you the prosecution isn't thinking of this; they haven't thought about this like that," said Gregory Samms, Mbakwe's lawyer in Miami. "But if you start asking these questions, then maybe they will too. Maybe the prosecution will ask them at trial."

For now, prosecutors won't divulge their plans.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jul/25/court-time-hinges-on-courtroom/

Go Gophers!!

Wow. That's the first time we've seen the victim's name in print, too. That cannot be a good thing, either. Isn't it usually standard procedure to leave an assault victim's name out of the newspaper?

This is only part of the comment left by this person. All I can say is win Memphis win!!!!

MCSTHOMASPAINE writes:
"Look, basketball is the lifeblood of the U of M. These guys are heroes to children and help bridge the racial didivide in this city. If from time to time they commit a few innocent, playful crimes, then it is worth it.I demand to be entertained and for my team to win championships.

Finally, let's not forget that these are scholar-atheletes. When not ballin' they are hitting the books. If they blow off steam from time to time it is up not only up to the Commercial Appeal, but the citizens of Memphis to work with U of M administrators to provide a little cover for our gentlemen.

This is only part of the comment left by this person. All I can say is win Memphis win!!!!

MCSTHOMASPAINE writes:
"Look, basketball is the lifeblood of the U of M. These guys are heroes to children and help bridge the racial didivide in this city. If from time to time they commit a few innocent, playful crimes, then it is worth it.I demand to be entertained and for my team to win championships.

Finally, let's not forget that these are scholar-atheletes. When not ballin' they are hitting the books. If they blow off steam from time to time it is up not only up to the Commercial Appeal, but the citizens of Memphis to work with U of M administrators to provide a little cover for our gentlemen.

Sounds like someone wishes Calipari was still their coach!

Sounds like someone wishes Calipari was still their coach!

In all fairness to Memphis fans, this person was the only one who posted such utter tripe. And most of the others called him out on it. Having said that, that particular poster is certainly....ahem....an "interesting" individual. All I can say at this point is that hopefully everything works out for the best for Trevor, the victim and anybody else associated with this mess.

Looks like Trevor's next team might be Florida State pen

I am a criminal defense lawyer, but have never practiced in Florida. I have not followed the specifics of Trevor's case closely but, if this article is accurate, Trevor may be in trouble. There seems to be little doubt that the complainant was assaulted in the manner she claims. The question is whodunnit. Her story has the ring of truth to it and Trevor's claim of fleeing Florida because of threats does not(from this article). I can certainly think of challenges to her ID of Trevor:
1. Any discrepancies between her initial description of her assailant and Trevor; 2. Did the photo she initially looked at really look like Trevor?; 3. Were there other of teammates of Trevor's in the area who resembled him who might have committed this(from what I've read somewhere some of his teammates resembled him and the extreme height of the assailant makes it likely that the assailant was a basketball player). For this defense to work Trevor would have to try to finger a teammate; 4. Who displayed the photo lineup to the complainant(in Minnesota the better practice is to have a detective who does know who the suspect is administer the photo lineup so as not to subtly direct the ID to the suspect); 5. Did the other photos resemble Trevor? 6. Were the photos of other teammates who could be possilbe suspects shown to the complainant? and 7. One should certainly argue that having seen Trevor's photo previously, the complainant's lineup ID was "tainted" by the other photo.

I also don't know anything about trevor's lawyer but he doesn't seem to be too smart stating in the press what the correctable weaknesses in the prosecution's case might be. Generally if you have a client who is not in jail who does not have a strong case you want to delay his case. When you have a client not in custody who is facing a weak case and who has strong reasons to get his name cleared so that he can get on with his life(presumably Trevor) you want an earlier hearing.

This story might not be accurate or the whole story, but if it is I think that Trevor is in trouble.

I am a criminal defense lawyer, but have never practiced in Florida. I have not followed the specifics of Trevor's case closely but, if this article is accurate, Trevor may be in trouble. There seems to be little doubt that the complainant was assaulted in the manner she claims. The question is whodunnit. Her story has the ring of truth to it and Trevor's claim of fleeing Florida because of threats does not(from this article). I can certainly think of challenges to her ID of Trevor:
1. Any discrepancies between her initial description of her assailant and Trevor; 2. Did the photo she initially looked at really look like Trevor?; 3. Were there other of teammates of Trevor's in the area who resembled him who might have committed this(from what I've read somewhere some of his teammates resembled him and the extreme height of the assailant makes it likely that the assailant was a basketball player). For this defense to work Trevor would have to try to finger a teammate; 4. Who displayed the photo lineup to the complainant(in Minnesota the better practice is to have a detective who does know who the suspect is administer the photo lineup so as not to subtly direct the ID to the suspect); 5. Did the other photos resemble Trevor? 6. Were the photos of other teammates who could be possilbe suspects shown to the complainant? and 7. One should certainly argue that having seen Trevor's photo previously, the complainant's lineup ID was "tainted" by the other photo.

I also don't know anything about trevor's lawyer but he doesn't seem to be too smart stating in the press what the correctable weaknesses in the prosecution's case might be. Generally if you have a client who is not in jail who does not have a strong case you want to delay his case. When you have a client not in custody who is facing a weak case and who has strong reasons to get his name cleared so that he can get on with his life(presumably Trevor) you want an earlier hearing.

This story might not be accurate or the whole story, but if it is I think that Trevor is in trouble.

One teammate was 6-9 and 245 (he played at Memphis this season) but has a goatee.

Another teammate was 6-7 and 215 (he played at Kentucky this year) but is clean shaven.

Trevor is 6-8 and 240. His Gopher bio shows him clean shaven. He and the latter teammate bear some facial resemblance to each other.

I think Trevor is innocent until proven guilty. Newspaper summaries aren't evidence.

None of us know all of the facts in this case, but this is obviously a very serious situation. I know many on this site have been frustrated with Maturi's handling of this situation, but can you imagine the backlash against the U if the Gophers let Trevor play and he is found guilty. I am hopeful Trevor is innocent, but I do understand the need for this case to play out before Trevor is given the go ahead to play at Minnesota, Memphis or anywhere else.

Top Bottom