Dave Telep tweet: Full Minnesota staff for Naadir Tharpe

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From Vegas, Telep just tweeted this:

"Full Minnesota staff for Naadir Tharpe plus heads from ISU, USC, Providence and more!"

His offer lists currenlty includes Indiana, Marquette, Boston College, UNLV, etc. He's rated 4-star and is the #17 rated PG in the nation, according to Scout.

Scout says:

"Poised. Smart. High basketball IQ. Does a terrific job for a young player controlling the tempo and getting his teammates involved. Needs to get stronger, but that will come with time."

Go Gophers!!

Good to hear.

In addition to Council being the same year as Lacy, Providence got a commitment from 2011 PG Naadir Tharpe last week... Tharpe plays for Brewster, alongside Mo Walker and a lot of other D1talent.

That didn't take long. Tharpe (still a 2011) is reopening his recruitment. Coach Skerry, the assistant that led the recruitment of Tharpe, recently left Providence for Pittsburgh. Don't think the Gophers were ever in on his recruitment,... but could use a nice 2011 PG. He'll have plenty of suitors though... probably a top 100 guy.

NE Recruiting Report Article

YouTube highlights - Naadir Tharpe 09-10 season w/Brewster

Two years ago I would have been excited about this, now I see it as a long shot.

Tubby's history landing anything higher than 2/3 star players doesn't exactly make me feel confident about inking this guy. But who knows, maybe it was just one bad season on the recruiting circuit.

Tubby's history landing anything higher than 2/3 star players doesn't exactly make me feel confident about inking this guy. But who knows, maybe it was just one bad season on the recruiting circuit.

2010 - three 3 Star recruits.
2009 - one (each) 5 Star, 4 Star, 3 Star recruit.
2008 - two 4 Star, one 3 Star recruits.

Tubby landed numerous 4 Star and 5 Star recruits in his 10 years at Kentucky.

3 Star recruits are Top 75 to 150 range. Is something wrong with that?

Or just you?

Tharpe was current ISU F Melvin Ejim's roommate at Brewster. He was real high on ISU about a month ago, but has seemed to cool since then.

It would appear that Tharpe has become a priority for Tubby and his staff:

"Full Minnesota staff on hand again for Naadir Tharpe's evening game along with coaches from Iowa State and Providence."

http://twitter.com/HardwoodElite

Per Ryan James Twitter

"First school out of Naadir Tharpes mouth was Minnesota. Said several but gophers were first"

That Simply Can't Be, Can It?

I've read (here) from some that Tubby can't relate to recruits in modern times.

One thing going for us with Tharpe is the opportunity for him to earn the keys as a frosh alongside Joseph.

Another guard I suspect we're looking at out there is Bruce Barron, who just joined up with the Mac Irvin Fire for this one.. played at Brehm with Oto this past year. We've shown interest for quite a while... lots of possibilities.

Top Bottom