In a survey of 20 high-profile coaches, the shadiness of recruiting is exposed

I found it interesting that the majority of coaches said that the BT was the cleanest conference and that the SEC was the dirtiest. It's interesting that those that really know "The Truth" say this while message board apologists from said dirty conference find excuse after excuse.

Go Gophers!!

Wow, I figured there was stuff going on behind the scenes that the average fan didn't know about but according to this article there is a ton of it going on

This is pretty much an open secret. I've talked to a few people before, and the stories they've told me about how dirty the recruiting game is right now were pretty eye-opening. Just assume that your worst suspicions are usually correct.

I found it interesting that the majority of coaches said that the BT was the cleanest conference and that the SEC was the dirtiest. It's interesting that those that really know "The Truth" say this while message board apologists from said dirty conference find excuse after excuse.

Go Gophers!!

Tubby never cheated as SEC coach. He dominated the league from 1998 through 2007 with best W-L (%) record in SEC games, most SEC titles and SECT championships won in those 10 years.

You don't have to cheat because others do.

Great article! Recruiting is so dirty -and I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I think football is even worse.

Tubby never cheated as SEC coach. He dominated the league from 1998 through 2007 with best W-L (%) record in SEC games, most SEC titles and SECT championships won in those 10 years.

You don't have to cheat because others do.

Man oh man FoT, you really don't know what Bleed was referring to?:confused:

At UK (basketball) he didn't break NCAA rules.

After spending time with Clem Haskins for a while in the '90's, I was sure he was clean as a whistle. Rick has shown his character. He's not above cheating and it would absolutely NOT shock me if he's eventually revealed as a scum of a coach. He doesn't ge the benefit of the doubt.

Anybody else get the feeling like every coach in the article was implying Calipari?

Some comments:

I've wondered for awhile now if part of the reason Tubby is so popular with this peers is that he doesn't do this stuff, so he's easy to beat in recruiting battles. To be clear, I don't have any idea what Tubby has or hasn't done. I just think having a coach who is loved by his peers might not always be the best thing. Sometimes you might need to throw an elbow or two.

The hypocrisy in the article is funny to me. Complaining about the lack of April recruiting while also complaining about the "no-bump" rule in July. If most of these kids should be in summer school in July, then shouldn't it stand to reason that they shouldn't be playing basketball in April when they are 4-6 weeks away from Finals? And if the concern with July basketball is being away from incoming recruits in July, shouldn't the coaches be (arguably more) concerned about being away in April when their team is just a few weeks from Finals? April recruiting doesn't seem like a good idea for the high school kids or the current members of the college teams.

Then there's the comment that none of these guys would commit a major violation with zero chance of being caught to grab a top recruit? That would be hard to believe even if you didn't read a following paragraph where all 20 coaches claimed they had lost a recruit because they did not give a job to a coach/relative, yet 0 of the 20 had actually given out a job like that themselves.

EG,

I think the April period is more acceptable to college coaches because events are Fri-Sun. That leaves them on campus for several days each week with their guys.

July is pretty much wall-to-wall, every day of the week basketball.

There are coaches that spend only two or three days on their own campus over the span of the entire month.

At UK (basketball) he didn't break NCAA rules.

EVERYONE breaks NCAA rules - be it a phone call, text, email...or obviously big violations. Tubby and Pitino are not gods, they are human beings.

Anybody else get the feeling like every coach in the article was implying Calipari?

Haha - I can see that. Man, would I have loved to be a fly on the wall to see what coaches said what, and about whom. I'd also like to hear who those 7 legit coaches were, that the one would send his kid to.

EG9 - As far as Tubby getting beaten by the bad guys, Izzo was also mentioned as one of the good guys, that wins year after year doing it the right way.

Tubby And Pitino Didn't CHEAT At UK

Their predecessors did and have NCAA major infractions to show for it.

Period.

Some comments:

I've wondered for awhile now if part of the reason Tubby is so popular with this peers is that he doesn't do this stuff, so he's easy to beat in recruiting battles. To be clear, I don't have any idea what Tubby has or hasn't done. I just think having a coach who is loved by his peers might not always be the best thing. Sometimes you might need to throw an elbow or two.

The hypocrisy in the article is funny to me. Complaining about the lack of April recruiting while also complaining about the "no-bump" rule in July. If most of these kids should be in summer school in July, then shouldn't it stand to reason that they shouldn't be playing basketball in April when they are 4-6 weeks away from Finals? And if the concern with July basketball is being away from incoming recruits in July, shouldn't the coaches be (arguably more) concerned about being away in April when their team is just a few weeks from Finals? April recruiting doesn't seem like a good idea for the high school kids or the current members of the college teams.

Then there's the comment that none of these guys would commit a major violation with zero chance of being caught to grab a top recruit? That would be hard to believe even if you didn't read a following paragraph where all 20 coaches claimed they had lost a recruit because they did not give a job to a coach/relative, yet 0 of the 20 had actually given out a job like that themselves.

First paragraph is absurd. Coaching peers like Tubby because he's honest, genuine, and a good person. He's not at all easy to beat recruiting. His recruiting classes over the past 15 years (12 of 15 classes rated Top 20 or better) show that to be utterly false.

After spending time with Clem Haskins for a while in the '90's, I was sure he was clean as a whistle. Rick has shown his character. He's not above cheating and it would absolutely NOT shock me if he's eventually revealed as a scum of a coach. He doesn't ge the benefit of the doubt.

I think Pitino (at Louisville) may cheat but he did not do so at UK in the 1990's.

True.. his cheating hasn't always been successful, but it takes great creativity to find a way to score at a place like this.

To his credit at U of L, he does have a couple of Elite Eight appearances, and one NCAA Final Four.

His predecessor nailed 2 NC and 6 FF in 30 years. Pitino is 0-for-9 and 1-for-9 in those categories.

Top Bottom