Article about Josh Oglesby (July 12)

In the article we read:

Oglesby said his top five “right now” are UNI, Arizona State, Boston College, Minnesota and Illinois, in no particular order. But that could change.

But the Hawkeyes have an inside track if they want it.

Oglesby has been a longtime fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes, but first-year coach Fran McCaffery has not offered him.

“I’m not really disappointed,” Oglesby said. ”At the same time, I can’t just sit back and wait for them to offer me. If they’re not going to offer me, I’m going to have to move on. I’ll put them aside and not worry about them too much. If they do offer me, I’ll put them on my (list). Maybe not in my top five right away, but I’d put them in my options right away.”

Watching his videos I don't see a lot of quickness.

Hoopmasters On Josh Oglesby In Las Vegas

Josh Oglesby 6-4 175 S/PG (Iowa Barnstormers) – This smooth combo played with confidence when we watched. He hits three, and see open man and deliver rock. He has a style similar ro Kirk Heinrich!

Iowa has finally offered Josh Oglesby.

http://twitter.com/IA_Barnstormers

I also spoke to someone who is in Vegas watching games. He said Coach Taylor was at the Barnstormers' game this afternoon watching Oglesby. Bo and Coach Gard were also there watching UW commit Jarrod Uthoff. Sounds like Josh had a nice game, with something like 7 triples.

Hopefully the Iowa offer is too late, that sounds weird saying, but this kid actually wanted to go there.

Hopefully the Iowa offer is too late, that sounds weird saying, but this kid actually wanted to go there.

My take on all the Oglesby articles is that he has been waiting for an offer for Iowa. Despite how bad they have been in recent years, they are still his home state school and the school he grew up following. That said, a wise man pointed out to me that Josh may not hold Iowa in the same regard as he once did, given that they told him they wanted to see him live before offering, but Jarrod Uthoff received a scholarship offer long before he was seen live by the new Iowa staff. Given that Josh and Jarrod are AAU teammates and (presumably) friends, that probably didn't sit too well with Oglesby. Iowa is the still the home state school, but Illinois has a ton of talent coming in, which Josh's skill set would probably very well with. The Minnesota program is also in much better standing than Iowa. Coach MacCaffrey may have made a tactical error in waiting to offer a local kid who was getting serious interest from other reasonably close schools.

My take on all the Oglesby articles is that he has been waiting for an offer for Iowa. Despite how bad they have been in recent years, they are still his home state school and the school he grew up following. That said, a wise man pointed out to me that Josh may not hold Iowa in the same regard as he once did, given that they told him they wanted to see him live before offering, but Jarrod Uthoff received a scholarship offer long before he was seen live by the new Iowa staff. Given that Josh and Jarrod are AAU teammates and (presumably) friends, that probably didn't sit too well with Oglesby. Iowa is the still the home state school, but Illinois has a ton of talent coming in, which Josh's skill set would probably very well with. The Minnesota program is also in much better standing than Iowa. Coach MacCaffrey may have made a tactical error in waiting to offer a local kid who was getting serious interest from other reasonably close schools.

Not sure it was a tactical mistake or not. I think McCaffrey wanted other players first. Some of those players (Jasperson, Uthoff, etc.) committed elsewhere. That left McCaffrey with nothing to do but offer Oglesby. Oglesby may well still end up in Iowa, but he'll have to plug his nose in the short term in doing so, as he knows he was choice 3 or 4 for that coaching staff. In the meantime, Minnesota was his first Big Ten offer, followed by Illinois.

Oglesby lists these as his final six: Minnesota, Illinois, Arizona State, Northwestern, Iowa, Boston College.

He says he'll take all of his visits and decide in September.

Hoopmasters (Clipped) On Josh Oglesby In Las Vegas

One player who has seen his stock rise this week is 6-4 combo guard Josh Oglesby of the Iowa Barnstormers who received an offer today from the Iowa Hawkeyes. He was stellar in both outings we watched this week. He can flat out stroke it from three or off dribble, and will run point in a pinch too. Other finalists include Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Boston College, and Arizona State. He said he plans on visiting all the out of state schools officially.

Josh Oglesby

Josh told me Saturday that he planned to visit Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Arizona State and Boston College. He got the Iowa offer later that day through an intermediate. There are conflicting reports on what effect this will have. He spoke very highly of UNI, which has commit from his AAU teammate. They have just one scholarship left and want to land a point guard. I've known his AAU coach for a long time and will call him and do a story on Josh soon. I've been in the gym five straight days and I'm going to Phoenix and LA next.

Chris Monter

Josh told me Saturday that he planned to visit Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Arizona State and Boston College. He got the Iowa offer later that day through an intermediate. There are conflicting reports on what effect this will have. He spoke very highly of UNI, which has commit from his AAU teammate. They have just one scholarship left and want to land a point guard. I've known his AAU coach for a long time and will call him and do a story on Josh soon. I've been in the gym five straight days and I'm going to Phoenix and LA next.

Chris Monter

Thanks for the update and thanks for posting on gopherhole.

Good to have you on board. Thanks for the info.

Chris Monter

Top Bottom