Pacesetter Sweet 16 Tournament

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
It's that time of the year for the Pacesetter, back again in St.Joseph's on Sat July 31 and Sun Aug 1. For those not familiar with this event, they take 4 teams from each of the 4 classes who they think will be good, usually they do a pretty good job, and put them in a old school 16 team tournament. Each team is guaranteed 4 games and they mix up the classes really well.

A great chance to watch small schools compete against the big boys. The schools take these games pretty serious although they will try to get some younger guys playing time when possible, I don't think the head coaches are allowed to coach but most of them are there watching and doing a little sideline coaching while an assistant or sometimes parent coaches(Bruce Hoffarber has coached Hopkins in the past). In the past, most of the star players usually do show up for these games(of course you occasionally have the Trevor Mbwake's who went the wrong way and ended up in Faribault instead of St. Cloud) They also have a girls tournament the same days. I'll wait for them to release the brackets and times but here is a list of teams.

4A
Hopkins (Joe Coleman, Syani Chambers, Marvin Singleton)
Apple Valley (Tyus Jones, Thomas Schalk)
Eastview (Joey King)
Lakeville South (Alex Richter)

3A
Waconia (Shelby Moats)
Orono (Jordan Smith)
Benilde St. Margarets (Isiah Zierdon, Kyle Washington, Sanjay Lumpkin)
St. Cloud Apollo

2A
Braham (Tyler Vaughn)
MN Transitions (Kyle Noreen)
Sebeka
Windom

1A
Ellsworth
W-E-M(Waterville, Elysian, and Morristown)
B-E-B (Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa)
Plainview-Elgin-Millville.

A couple top schools missing, obviously St. Paul Johnson, who won the event two years ago, and there trio of Estan Tyler, Roosevelt Scott, and Marcus Marshall are the top returning team in the state, not sure why they would not be invited so they must of declined. Chaska is another with Ross Travis and Jake White, and DelaSalle will be good with Jonah Travis, Breston McNeal, and Riley Dearing although I don't ever remember seeing them play up there. Minnetonka and Sibley are two schools that have been in it for as long as I've been going it seems but both are going to be way down on talent this year. Grand Rapids is another. Would of been nice to see Johnny Woodard but Duluth East just isn't very good. Should be a very entertaining tourney and well worth the drive, admission is usually only like $5-7 and games on both days will be done by 4.

interesting to see WEM on the list instead of United South Central (Kyle Bauman) up there.

You are correct, they did not move, I was in a rush to put this up and just basically guessed on which class the A and AA teams we're in.

Transitions and Sebeka, who played in the A title game, should be switched with Plainview Elgin Millsview and W-E-M.

Top Bottom