Big win tonight

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
I think this win will go a long ways for our confidence in tight games. Hoffarber and Nolen were the difference makers tonight...both stepped up in a big way.

It's great to have DJ back by the way.

Any other comments? Seems kind of dead on the Hole for a good win against an undefeated team. Of course, the abomination at the Dome could have something to do with some 'Holer's psyche.

Busch had a couple of nice moments, too.

Young team.......

gets a confidence builder. We will be facing some much tougher teams on the road to be sure, but it's always nice to win!

I agree. CSU looks like they will be a middle-of-the-pack Mountain West team this year, so this win is nothing to be ashamed of. First road game for so many of these guys. Hoffarber played well. DJ didn't look too rusty. Busch did have some nice moments.

On the flip side, Westbrook and Carter were nearly invisible. If they are not among our top 3 scorers for the season we're in trouble. Also, CSU dominted us inside at times. But Iverson was in foul trouble, and Sampson clearly was running on fumes, though I give him credit for playing at all with strep.

Also, Tim Miles is a nice coach and I think he will do well there, but Tubby out-coached him pretty good in the last couple minutes.

The game winning basket isn't invisible, neither are 8 points and 4 rebounds. Ironically, he was the third leading scorer.

Al Nolen is going to be (if not already) a stud point guard. He now has confidence to drive, stop, and shoot the mid-range jumper. At times last year he would drive and be open for that jumper but usually he would look to pass, even if he had to force a pass. Last night it was clear that he has improved his game a great deal.
Paul Carter (who looks like Willie Burton's younger brother) contributed with some big baskets, rebounds, and defensive stops. He isn't afraid to take the 3 either.
JW was missed last night. C St got some easy baskets by being bigger and stronger that RS and C Iverson, JW may have prevented some of that from happening.
Oh, and Blake was just Blake again...
Very big win, and almost a loss with the last shot & clear look at the basket for C St.

Winning a close game on the road is always good for a teams confidence, and is great experience for later in the season.

They are young and showed it

This team is so young...they are going to look bad at times, but man, they have some talent and with the four incoming players and the addition of some two sport walkons next year...I am thrilled about a solid year this, better next and then runs at the final four!!!!

Go Gophers.

Agree with everything that has been said so far.

This is a really young team that is only going to get better. As Tubby once implied, "It's always preferable to learn while winning" and it appears these guys are doing that.

There will obviously be some rough patches, but with Tubby coaching them, I'm okay with it.

All and all, 4-0 is a nice place to be :D

There is no reason why we didnt destroy that team.:confused:

There is no reason why we didnt destroy that team.:confused:
I really don't mean to question your "fanhood," but are you actually a Gophers fan? If not, what team do you support?

I don't mean that in an derogatory way, just curious (as every one of your posts since you joined the forum 2 days ago have been bashing RSIII, our team, or our win?)

Encouraging win

It was nice to see the improvement from the first half to the second half. It just seemed as if we played with more energy the second. This was a big win and there is no reason we don't go into the big ten schedule with more than one loss as I believe this was our second toughest game on the non-conference schedule.

This team is so young...they are going to look bad at times, but man, they have some talent and with the four incoming players and the addition of some two sport walkons next year...I am thrilled about a solid year this, better next and then runs at the final four!!!!

Go Gophers.

Who are the two sports walk-ons?

Good to get the first road win for a young team. But come on folks. We beat a team that posted wins over Chadron State, N. Colorado, Adams St and Montana and whose best player was dinged up.

We were one basket away from a loss to a team that was horrible last year. I would hardly classify this as a big win. Tubby, who is very well paid to outcoach a Tim Miles, and our highly touted recruits have a ton of work to do B4 the Big Ten starts.

Who are the two sports walk-ons?

Moses Alipate and the recruit who was here for the Michigan football game... his name is escaping me at the moment. Who knows if they actually walk-on... It's a long shot, IMO, considering all the talent we already have coming in on scholarship.

Moses Alipate and the recruit who was here for the Michigan football game... his name is escaping me at the moment. Who knows if they actually walk-on... It's a long shot, IMO, considering all the talent we already have coming in on scholarship.

Thanks buddy, wasn't sure

Good to get the first road win for a young team. But come on folks. We beat a team that posted wins over Chadron State, N. Colorado, Adams St and Montana and whose best player was dinged up.

We were one basket away from a loss to a team that was horrible last year. I would hardly classify this as a big win. Tubby, who is very well paid to outcoach a Tim Miles, and our highly touted recruits have a ton of work to do B4 the Big Ten starts.

Concordia, Bowling Green, Georgia State, best player with three pins in his hand.

Lots of new parts, not yet working together as a unit...

Finally got to watch the recording of the game last night and wow. It was worse than I thought it would be.

I'm typically a "maroon-colored glasses", glass half full kind of guy when it comes to our Rodents but this was not a pretty game.

Defense is getting better, I can live with that and I don't think we're that far off yet, particularly when we're 100% healthy.

But we're struggling offensively right now. Yikes. Against CSU, our offense amounted to basically some 3-pointers, some points off turnovers in transition, and Nolen creating some shots for himself. Cripes, the first 5 Gopher shots of the game were 3's. Nothing resembling an offense at this point.

I think we'll get there though. I love the talent, really like Iverson inside, Carter will improve every time out, great to have DJ back. Give CSU some credit, they played what for them is likely a pretty good game, with a career game from the stiff who transferred from Purdue (Vandervieren).

Tubby's got some work to do though, no doubt about it....

Top Bottom