Chassin Randle narrows it to 3 schools

MN1nAZ

Reaction score
"Less than a week after 2011 G Chasson Randle (Rock Island, Il) released his initial 7-school list, he wasted no time narrowing it down down to a manageable 3 schools: Purdue, Illinois, and Stanford.

...at a shallow first-take I like Purdue's odds. There will be a lot of factors at play here, and academics will be heavily weighted. Considering Randle's from Illinois, there's no question what his friends and family are whispering in his ears.

Thankfully, everything I hear about Randle points to him being an intelligent kid that will make a well thought-out decision. That's really all we can ask for...

Painter is in great position to land at least one of his top targets, Randle and Branden Dawson.

It's especially rewarding that Painter continues to stay in such great shape with these two since he's been on to both of their trails since the beginning of their recruitment. Nice to see Painter's hard work paying off!

But the real hard work might be figuring out how to land both players with Purdue's scholarship situation...

But in a perfect hypothetical world, landing Dawson and Randle would be winning the lottery."

http://www.hammerandrails.com/2010/7/20/1578583/2011-target-chasson-randle-narrows

"Less than a week after 2011 G Chasson Randle (Rock Island, Il) released his initial 7-school list, he wasted no time narrowing it down down to a manageable 3 schools: Purdue, Illinois, and Stanford.

...at a shallow first-take I like Purdue's odds. There will be a lot of factors at play here, and academics will be heavily weighted. Considering Randle's from Illinois, there's no question what his friends and family are whispering in his ears.

Thankfully, everything I hear about Randle points to him being an intelligent kid that will make a well thought-out decision. That's really all we can ask for...

Painter is in great position to land at least one of his top targets, Randle and Branden Dawson.

It's especially rewarding that Painter continues to stay in such great shape with these two since he's been on to both of their trails since the beginning of their recruitment. Nice to see Painter's hard work paying off!

But the real hard work might be figuring out how to land both players with Purdue's scholarship situation...

But in a perfect hypothetical world, landing Dawson and Randle would be winning the lottery."

http://www.hammerandrails.com/2010/7/20/1578583/2011-target-chasson-randle-narrows

Boilers have 13 on scholarship and lose 3 seniors (and 90 minutes PT). One scholarship goes to 6-8 Donnie Hale (who is Prepping this year) and the other two are waiting for Dawson and Randle.

A couple of points.

1. Not sure why you like Purdue's odd any more than anyone else's. All three programs have highly rated engineering programs. If fact, Purdue's is third among those three schools.
2. Both Purdue and Illinois have a lot of guards when Chasson would arrive. Purdue will have seven guards already on scholarship. Illinois will have that many, too. Stanford has more immediate time but is far away.
3. Chasson's dad is a big Illinois fan. If Illinois did not have so many guards on campus, I think Chasson would have already committed to Illinois. However, he needs to decide if he fits in.
4. Illinois actually would have a point guard opening when he arrives. McCamey would have graduated and Chasson would compete with Tracy Abrams for the job. Since they are coming in together, they are on equal footing going in. Purdue, on the other hand, will have its point guard returning (Lewis Jackson) and its primary backup (Kelsey Barlow).

Friend of Tubby, one slight correction in your Purdue scholarship count. Purdue already has three commitments for its 2012 class. If they add both Randle and Dawson, combined with what they will lose that year in graduation, they will be one over the limit of 13. Yes, players leave or are "creaned" but technically Purdue only has a scholarship available for one of them without some other action taking place. Illinois, on the other hand, only has 10 players on scholarship for 2011 and can add three more in the 2011 and 2012. Most think they will add two more in 2011 and save one for 2012. Hopefully, it is Shaw and Randle for 2011. Lots of talent coming to Champaign these days. Weber screwed up recruiting for a couple of years after the national runnerup year, but he has corrected it big time.

A couple of points.

1. Not sure why you like Purdue's odd any more than anyone else's. All three programs have highly rated engineering programs. If fact, Purdue's is third among those three schools.
2. Both Purdue and Illinois have a lot of guards when Chasson would arrive. Purdue will have seven guards already on scholarship. Illinois will have that many, too. Stanford has more immediate time but is far away.
3. Chasson's dad is a big Illinois fan. If Illinois did not have so many guards on campus, I think Chasson would have already committed to Illinois. However, he needs to decide if he fits in.
4. Illinois actually would have a point guard opening when he arrives. McCamey would have graduated and Chasson would compete with Tracy Abrams for the job. Since they are coming in together, they are on equal footing going in. Purdue, on the other hand, will have its point guard returning (Lewis Jackson) and its primary backup (Kelsey Barlow).

Friend of Tubby, one slight correction in your Purdue scholarship count. Purdue already has three commitments for its 2012 class. If they add both Randle and Dawson, combined with what they will lose that year in graduation, they will be one over the limit of 13. Yes, players leave or are "creaned" but technically Purdue only has a scholarship available for one of them without some other action taking place. Illinois, on the other hand, only has 10 players on scholarship for 2011 and can add three more in the 2011 and 2012. Most think they will add two more in 2011 and save one for 2012. Hopefully, it is Shaw and Randle for 2011. Lots of talent coming to Champaign these days. Weber screwed up recruiting for a couple of years after the national runnerup year, but he has corrected it big time.

I would debate that Illinois > Purdue as Engineering school. I'm biased as Purdue BSE graduate.

Purdue has 2 open scholarships in 2011 class now. 2012 is a year away. They'll be able to sign the 3 commitments, no doubt.

Weber is a much better recruiter with Jerrance Howard on staff.

You can debate it from a personal point of view. But, nationally, both are very good and Illinois is ranked slightly higher.

Yes, I know that Purdue can sign both right now. But, as I said, they will have to open one up for the following year. Illinois does not have to. Plus, Illinois is the homestate school and the favorite school of his dad. So, we shall see. Purdue would be a good choice, too. He will probably end up at Stanford, anyway. :)

Illinois' best recruit, Jereme Richmond, committed to Illinois before Jerrance was around. DJ Richardson was recruited by Peorian Wayne McClain. Joseph Bertrand, Tyler Griffey, Brandon Paul, Meyers Leonard were recruited by Jay Price. Price has also been the lead recruiter for Chasson although Howard is now taking more of a role in that recruitment. Crandall Head was a legacy recruit. His brother Luther said that Crandall was going to Illinois long before Jerrance arrived. Howard was lead recruiter for Henry, Abrams. He is also the main guy on the 2013 kids. I am not downplaying Howard's role. He is a great assistant. But isn't part of being a good head coach be able to surround yourself with good assistants. You wrote it like it was a bad thing. Weber was smart enough to hire Jerrance when no one else would have. Jerrance played at Illinois, loves Illinois, but many thought Weber was crazy for hiring an administrative assistant from Texas A&M via Kentucky. He had never been an assistant coach until Weber hired him.

Also, no head coach works harder at recruiting than Weber. Some make work as hard, but not many. Ask national/state gurus. Weber is often the only head coach in a building with all assistants. Being an assistant coach for 17 years probably has something to do with his recruiting work ethic. Besides adding Jerrance, the other big factor in improved recruiting is the fact that Weber starting offering top Illinois preps much earlier. Got a commitment from Richmond before he played his first high school game. Abrams committed as a sophomore. Etc. Before, he was waiting too long to offer. Now, he is getting top talent to commit before the Dukes and Carolinas get involved.

You can debate it from a personal point of view. But, nationally, both are very good and Illinois is ranked slightly higher.

Yes, I know that Purdue can sign both right now. But, as I said, they will have to open one up for the following year. Illinois does not have to. Plus, Illinois is the homestate school and the favorite school of his dad. So, we shall see. Purdue would be a good choice, too. He will probably end up at Stanford, anyway. :)

Illinois' best recruit, Jereme Richmond, committed to Illinois before Jerrance was around. DJ Richardson was recruited by Peorian Wayne McClain. Joseph Bertrand, Tyler Griffey, Brandon Paul, Meyers Leonard were recruited by Jay Price. Price has also been the lead recruiter for Chasson although Howard is now taking more of a role in that recruitment. Crandall Head was a legacy recruit. His brother Luther said that Crandall was going to Illinois long before Jerrance arrived. Howard was lead recruiter for Henry, Abrams. He is also the main guy on the 2013 kids. I am not downplaying Howard's role. He is a great assistant. But isn't part of being a good head coach be able to surround yourself with good assistants. You wrote it like it was a bad thing. Weber was smart enough to hire Jerrance when no one else would have. Jerrance played at Illinois, loves Illinois, but many thought Weber was crazy for hiring an administrative assistant from Texas A&M via Kentucky. He had never been an assistant coach until Weber hired him.

Also, no head coach works harder at recruiting than Weber. Some make work as hard, but not many. Ask national/state gurus. Weber is often the only head coach in a building with all assistants. Being an assistant coach for 17 years probably has something to do with his recruiting work ethic.

Rick Pitino was a MUCH better recruiter when Billy Donovan was on his staff (early 1990's) than Delray Brooks (mid 1990's).

Howard was a MAJOR upgrade over Tracy Webster (IMO).

That I totally agree with, FOT. Howard is much better than Webster. No Illini fan would debate that. But, again, Weber took a chance on Howard and it paid off. That is good head coaching. imo

I would debate that Illinois > Purdue as Engineering school. I'm biased as Purdue BSE graduate.

At the risk of getting sidetracked; I know you can't rush to judgment from just a sampling of one or two individuals but I have come across two individuals in my line of work as a Civil Engineer who claimed Engineering degrees from Illinois and in both cases, I was absolutely ashamed and disgraced that either of them could call themselves an Engineer of any kind. It was literally inconceivable to me how either of them could have gotten through an accredited Engineering program. Neither was a P.E., but still, you should be at least able to sound like you're not a complete moron. To qualify my statement, this isn't an Illinois bashing; I did not get my Engineering degree from any of the Big Ten schools so I don't have a dog in the fight from that perspective. Just an observation...

I think it's safe to say, for most casual observers (without looking at any statistics, studies, etc.) that Purdue generally is attributed with having one of the more impressive Engineering programs in the country. Probably hard to argue with that

Top Bottom