Marcus tweet on Coleman's upcoming visit to Iowa St: "Uh-Oh"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"Hopkins' Joe Coleman to make a decision in August, according to GopherIllustrated.com. Coleman will visit Iowa State first. Uh oh."

Go Gophers!!

i don't think it is anything to worry about. He will see that the U is 10 times the university isu is, not to mention the difference in coaches and quality of the teams.

Marcus certainly has taken to the whole "let's put a negative spin on everything" philosophy hasn't he? Don't really mind though as long as his accuracy stays as "spot on" as it's been in recent months.

I used to think Marcus was 10x better then Myron and I have no problem with criticism where warranted, but Marcus really has slipped in his coverage and turned negative about everything. He's now no better then Myron with 20% of that being Myron improving and 80% of it being Marcus falling back.

Coleman is a player we really need to land. Fortunately, I think there is a very, very good chance at this happening.

In other words, who cares if he is going to visit Iowa State. Marcus should know this as well.

i don't think it is anything to worry about. He will see that the U is 10 times the university isu is, not to mention the difference in coaches and quality of the teams.

Interesting that he is visiting Iowa State, not that big a surprise for me though. What really comes into the decision making process.

1. Playing time, strength of position, needs at sg.
2. Familiarity with environment, White as a former teamate, Hopkins coach probably liked the environment and recommended Coleman look also, Hoibergs connection to Minnesota.
3. Quality of teams, you really have to look a couple of years down the line, I really think they will at least be the equal of Minnesota, they added White, they have a second highly rated forward recruit from Oregon, the ESPN top rated prospect from Wisconsim committed for next year, if they get Coleman they would have the ESPN top rated prospect from Minnesota. That is a pretty good foundation for the future.

I don't think it is a slam dunk that he would choose Minnesota over Iowa State. It will be to bad if he chose ISU.

I will be thoroughly disappointed if he picks anywhere other than Minnesota. He will get every opportunity to play lots of minutes right away.

Interesting that he is visiting Iowa State, not that big a surprise for me though. What really comes into the decision making process.

1. Playing time, strength of position, needs at sg.
2. Familiarity with environment, White as a former teamate, Hopkins coach probably liked the environment and recommended Coleman look also, Hoibergs connection to Minnesota.
3. Quality of teams, you really have to look a couple of years down the line, I really think they will at least be the equal of Minnesota, they added White, they have a second highly rated forward recruit from Oregon, the ESPN top rated prospect from Wisconsim committed for next year, if they get Coleman they would have the ESPN top rated prospect from Minnesota. That is a pretty good foundation for the future.

I don't think it is a slam dunk that he would choose Minnesota over Iowa State. It will be to bad if he chose ISU.

At least the equal of Minnesota? Sorry, I just can't see it. They added White, but I'd be surprised if White ever contributes in a meaningful way. He's got a year and a half to wait until he plays there, and that's a long, long time to keep his nose clean. Plus, the rest of their recruits haven't been any better than the guys the U is getting. Finally, who knows how Freddy will be as a coach. I think the U, despite having a bump in the road last year with the horrible circumstances of Trevor/Royce/PC transferring, etc, are on the upward road. I honestly think that we're competing for the Big Ten title in a couple years if Tubby stays.

At least the equal of Minnesota? Sorry, I just can't see it. They added White, but I'd be surprised if White ever contributes in a meaningful way. He's got a year and a half to wait until he plays there, and that's a long, long time to keep his nose clean. Plus, the rest of their recruits haven't been any better than the guys the U is getting. Finally, who knows how Freddy will be as a coach. I think the U, despite having a bump in the road last year with the horrible circumstances of Trevor/Royce/PC transferring, etc, are on the upward road. I honestly think that we're competing for the Big Ten title in a couple years if Tubby stays.

I second that, if you guys haven't noticed, look at our 2012 offers who all say we are in their top 5. Every single one of them that i have heard of is in the top 100. meaning that we are likely to connect in the 2012 recruiting class.

Not to mention.. I think this year they've got DeMarcus Phillips, a solid JUCO originally from Milwaukee.. and then on the bench sitting out a transfer year Chris Babb from Penn State as well as Anthony Booker (McCluer HS... where BJ Young is at now) who was a highly touted 2008 kid (#83 RSCI) and was at Southern Illinois.. didn't turn out as expected there, but maybe Hoiberg and the gang will get the kid going strong.

Scott Christopherson started doing some decent things late last year and I hope he finishes up his college career strong... Melvin Ejim, a Canadian and Mo Walker's teammate at Brewster also joins the squad as a frosh this year... if I was a big Iowa State fan, I'd be pretty optimistic right about now.

RW Factor

Word is, Royce White is actively "recruiting" Coleman to Ames. Don't be surprised. My first post stated there my be a new wolf in the henhouse up there. Apparently, there are two other's from the Cities going down there in a few days.

Word is, Royce White is actively "recruiting" Coleman to Ames. Don't be surprised. My first post stated there my be a new wolf in the henhouse up there. Apparently, there are two other's from the Cities going down there in a few days.

Yeah I seen your first post. It was on the money.

I've heard Siyani Chambers is taking a visit, don't know who else, though. Don't think we're interested in Siyani right now.

Iowa St. w/ Hoiberg is like the new bar in town. First 6 months, all your friends want to hang out there. Remains to be seen if it's got staying power, though. But it's looking like Fred is using his Twin Cities contacts to build a recruiting pipeline.

The U is ten times the university based on what?

Minnesota has been better than ISU lately there is no debating that. But ISU still has great fan support (top 30 attendance for a very poor team last year), a new practice facility that opened one year ago that and our recruiting has been pretty solid as of late. ISU is also a finalist for several top 150 prospects for 2011 which is showing me that Hoiberg is making a positive impression on these recruits.

A kid making a decision now is not basing it on the last four years of a program but what the program will be the four years they will be there and it appears the recruits fell Fred will take things in a positive direction. Time will tell if they are right.

Minnesota has been better than ISU lately there is no debating that. But ISU still has great fan support (top 30 attendance for a very poor team last year), a new practice facility that opened one year ago that and our recruiting has been pretty solid as of late. ISU is also a finalist for several top 150 prospects for 2011 which is showing me that Hoiberg is making a positive impression on these recruits.

A kid making a decision now is not basing it on the last four years of a program but what the program will be the four years they will be there and it appears the recruits fell Fred will take things in a positive direction. Time will tell if they are right.

just trollin' through?

Why would anyone take advice from Royce White of all people? The Mayor is an understandable draw with a MN connection, but Royce White is a 5 time screw up.

"My first post stated there my be a new wolf in the henhouse up there."

Oh sh*t. Is it J-Strings????

OH NO! A quality player from MN is visiting powerhouse ISU! We have no chance. Embarrassing tweet.

"Hopkins' Joe Coleman to make a decision in August, according to GopherIllustrated.com. Coleman will visit Iowa State first. Uh oh."

Go Gophers!!

After reading Ryan James' article today, I don't get the impression that Coleman is a big fan of the Big Ten's style of basketball.

lol, i talking about the whole PROGRAM, meaning the whole PACKAGE! ISU academics are not even close to the U of M's. I would rather go to Winona State than ISU. Plus look at the location, U of M is in downtown Minneapolis on the river. Ames is in the middle of a cornfield. Coach: Hoiberg- not even 1 season Tubby- More national championships than hoiberg has coached. Not to mention Coleman is a gopher name, see he uncle and brother, Joe was a ball boy for the gophs not that long ago. All im saying is, if you were unbiased and you were Joe, what looks more attractive.

Since you are new to the board here, I will just say that I have posted on Gopher Hole for years and trolling is not my hobby. But I will defend my school when it is belittled.

Fair enough, pick on the new guy. You've got me beat by 18 posts, and countless years of GopherHole experience to my one year of lurking.

But after all, it is a message board. It's not like anyone believes anything posted on here.

After reading Ryan James' article today, I don't get the impression that Coleman is a big fan of the Big Ten's style of basketball.

Michigan State. Ohio State. Indiana. Illinois. Purdue. Recruits don't seem to mind their (Big 10) style(s) of play.

Why would anyone take advice from Royce White of all people? The Mayor is an understandable draw with a MN connection, but Royce White is a 5 time screw up.

I understand the question, and to me it is valid. My only response is that RW and Coleman are buddies, from what I understand. Friends sometimes look the other way when it comes to our personal faults.

I was just letting you know not to completely discount the possibilities.

What does that have to do with Coleman wanting to play in an up-temp system?

I gave you several EG's of such programs in the Big 10.

Tubby and the Gophers play up-tempo, too. Other recruiters whisper otherwise in recruits' ears.

FOT can you provide statistical proof of your argument otherwise point goes to Plinnius

Top Bottom