Canada coach Rautins and Tubby's thoughts on Devoe Joseph this summer

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Devoe Joseph to play for Team Canada
By Marcus Fuller

Devoe Joseph has big plans this summer involving the Canadian national team.

The University of Minnesota junior guard enjoyed a solid training camp with Canada's senior development team this month.

A quadriceps injury kept him from playing as the team traveled to Belgium this week and went 1-1 to open its European tour. But Canada senior national team coach Leo Rautins hopes to see Joseph on the court soon. Joseph could play in exhibition games today against Great Britain and Thursday against Finland in London.

"Devoe had a real good camp," said Rautins, a former Gopher. "Unfortunately, he has a strained quad. It's nothing serious, but it was something that I do not want to get worse. We shut Devoe down for the first two games, hoping rest and treatment will allow him to heal soon. He really wants to play."

Normally a shooting guard, Joseph took over the point guard role for Minnesota when starter Al Nolen was ruled academically ineligible for the second semester last season.

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound Joseph showed glimpses of all-conference potential when he led the Gophers to the Big Ten tournament title game and an NCAA tournament berth. The Toronto native averaged 9.4 points and 3.0 assists and shot 38.8 percent from three-point range as a sophomore in 2009-10.

Gophers coach Tubby Smith expects Nolen to pass the one class in summer school he needs to become eligible to play next season.

"(Joseph) was really outstanding when pressed into duty as a point guard," Smith said. "Now, Al will be back. Devoe's going to have stiffer competition. You also have Blake (Hoffarber) at shooting guard. We've also got the kids we recruited (guards Austin Hollins and Maverick Ahanmisi), so I hope he's getting better."
"If he does come back better, then he will not only have a chance to be our leader — he will be our leader and at the forefront in our starting lineup."

That makes this summer even more important for Joseph.

Canada's development team consists of college and pro level players from Canada who are candidates to join the senior national team when it begins preparing next month for the FIBA world championships in late August in Turkey.

Rautins said Joseph seems stronger and more confident and is shooting the ball better than he did when he attended national team tryouts two years ago after finishing his career as Canada's top high school player.

Joseph missed out competing with the national team last summer because he needed to attend summer school, but he was free to play this year. And the timing is ideal.

"We need him at point guard with this group, too," Rautins said. "The competition and system will be great for his development. As well, I need to see if and how he can fit with our senior team, so I'm looking forward to him getting back on the floor."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_15561151

Go Gophers!!

I'd guess Hoffarber, Nolen, and Joseph get 70+ minutes of the 80 at both G positions. Hollins gets most of the other 10 with Ahanmisi getting 2 or 3 minutes.

Hollins may play "3" some. So might Hoffarber.

I'm glad to hear he'll be playing point for Canada. It'll be exciting to see how good he is at the point when Big Ten competition rolls around.

Top Bottom