Who is the favorite for Mr. Basketball this year?

Stoodabaker

Reaction score
I know Royce is the 5* Blue Chip recruit but at Hopkins he isn't putting up the numbers that a normal Mr. Basketball would due to splitting mins and stardom.

So who is this years front runner?

In my mind...I think Rodney Williams Jr. is the front runner right now. Yes, Royce doesn't stand out because of all the players there and they usually have big lead which mean he barely play past halftime. Bruesewitz is probably 2nd right now. But then again this is from a bias view since i'm a Cooper Alumni.

Being a Gopher recruit seems to have helped some years.

The type of college or pro prospect a kid is has very little (if anything) to do with winning Mr. Basketball. Blake Hoffarber winning over Cole Aldrich was the most recent example of this. No knock on Hoffarber, but there was a reason Aldrich was deciding between Kansas and UNC.

Royce White is the most talented player in the state, but I would think the Hopkins guys would cancel each other out. No one puts up big enough numbers because there is so much talent on that team, plus the starters will only play full games a few times over the course of the season. Similar to what has been mentioned above, I would guess that it will come down to Mike Bruesewitz and Rodney Williams, maybe Sam Dower if Osseo puts together a big run. Thus far, I think Bruesewitz (19 and 12, 57% from the floor including 46% on 3s) has better numbers than does Williams, and Sibley is pretty much everyone’s choice as the #2 team in the state. Bruesewitz is probably the leader right now, but Williams certainly has a chance to catch him. Cooper’s game against Hopkins in early February is one of the most anticipated games in the state this year (as was Hopkins at Sibley). I would guess that it will come down to whose team advances further in the state tournament. It would be nice to see Sibley and Cooper square off in the state semifinals again, with the winner getting a second shot at Hopkins.

Top Bottom