Lawrence Westbrook performs well for T-Wolves at Summer League

MinneMike

Reaction score
Lawrence got plenty of playing time for the Timberwolves in Las Vegas at the 2010 NBA Summer League. At one point today, 18 July, Eric Snow, former NBA player now NBA.TV commentator, remarked how well Lawrence played, saying, "I've watched this guy play against my Spartans. You can tell he has played for Tubby, he gets after it on defense, hustles on every play, and makes excellent passes and shots."

Lawrence shared minutes at point guard with Jeremy Pargo from Gonzaga. In today's game (the final one for this year's Summer League), Westbrook scored 6 points in 11:30 minutes.

This likely will not translate into an invitation with an NBA team, but scouts should be open to inviting him to D-league or an overseas team in Europe or elsewhere.

anyone who has seen the games live knows he will never make it in the nba for one main reason, the guy cannot take any criticism what so ever. Anytime someone told him something he was doing wrong he would get pissed and point out what he "thought he was doing". Even when another senior such as DJ would tell him something LW would look pissed and make some sort of excuse.

I watched three of the Wolves sumer league games and Westbrook did not play well in any of them. He showed great hustle on defense, but did not look good at the offensive end running the point at all. To be fair, he hasn't played point at all during his career so that should be expected. Lawrence will need a year or two experience playing point guard somewhere before he would even be considered as an NBA candidate.

His defence was good, hit a few shots nothing special. Gier, McKenzie, Coleman didn't get close to the floor time Westy saw in summer league. He's no Gopher fan favorite, but that exposure will be very valuable to get a shot in the D-League or picked up by a mid-upper level Euro team.

I think it has more to do with the poor Twolves summer league team and the lack of good point guards on it.

I think it has more to do with the poor Twolves summer league team and the lack of good point guards on it.

Not really... they never got blown out, all games were close. I forgot that Jonny Flynn didn't show up, which worked out well for LW.

Disappointed DJ didn't get any action. Getting snubbed from the Big Ten's All-Defense team and lack of hard work in the weight room over the past 5 years didn't help.

Yeah, if Flynn was there, Westy would have seen little time. That was a fortunate break for him. But I thought he did alright, should at least get some D-League looks, if he doesn't go overseas.

Flynn was there, but didn't play because of injury to i believe his hip. And the Twolves top pick Wesley Johnson played only one game i belive the got hurt. So the Wolves competed pretty well without there top 2 players. Which gave Westbrook more time. How did Johnson do?

he is half as talented as Mccants, way shorter, and a much worse attitude, I highly doubt he will ever make an NBA roster. If you haven't seen it yet you should read the espn insider article about Mccants (it basically talks about how he can't get a job). Its posted on the KFAN t-puppies board. Westy is even a worse teammate and harder to coach player then Mccants. If anyone deserves a shot it is DJ WHO would actually take coaching advice from coaches and teammates.

I saw a little bit of a game between the Timberwolves and Portland when I came home one night. Westbrook was in the game and within just a few seconds of watching he was involved in a double technical after he got fouled by somebody.

I can't argue with any of the posts on Westbrook (size issues, attitude, hard to coach, etc.) however, I will certainly miss his determination and his competitive spirit. The guy wanted to win and he was the guy I wanted to see with the ball in a last second must score situation. He is a competitor and I hope he has some luck playing in Europe or the D-League.

I can't argue with any of the posts on Westbrook (size issues, attitude, hard to coach, etc.) however, I will certainly miss his determination and his competitive spirit. The guy wanted to win and he was the guy I wanted to see with the ball in a last second must score situation. He is a competitor and I hope he has some luck playing in Europe or the D-League.

West was the Badger killer. More, for all the criticism about LW being uncoachable, and other mannerisms associated with the game, DeMarcus Cousins is 10x and he went #5 in the draft.

I don't envision LW playing in the NBA anytime soon, be he acquitted himself well enough to get on a Euro or similar team or the D-league. He final game was his best.

He's also 100x more talented, efficient, and unselfish.

West was the Badger killer. More, for all the criticism about LW being uncoachable, and other mannerisms associated with the game, DeMarcus Cousins is 10x and he went #5 in the draft.

I don't envision LW playing in the NBA anytime soon, be he acquitted himself well enough to get on a Euro or similar team or the D-league. He final game was his best.

please never compare Westy and Cousins again if you want to keep your credibility, the only thing they have in common is they are both headcases. Stop hurting the gopher nation with such idiotic ideas.

Top Bottom