Sid: Bruininks, Maturi discuss extension

I think we need to flood Bruininks with mail telling him HELL NO

You don't want to 'saddle' the new Pres with a ability to bring in their own AD? Gee how thoughtful. Maturi himself has said his job isn't fun any more and he doesn't even know if he wants an extension. Just let him retire. It would be best for everyone involved.

How about the possibility of Maturi agreeing to serve in his position without a contract until the incoming Pres can find a replacement or accept Joel?

Unreal. I want to work for the U. I get fired if I don't finish in the top half of my sales force, at the U, you get extensions. Sign me up!

Unreal. I want to work for the U. I get fired if I don't finish in the top half of my sales force, at the U, you get extensions. Sign me up!

:clap: If that job was decided by votes, I would definately vote in your favor.

this is the one thing I will never understand about Maturi. He lets Brewster a coach who hasn't proven ANYTHING yet discipline his own players, but won't let Tubby who is one of the most proven coaches in all of Division 1 discipline his own players.

this is the one thing I will never understand about Maturi. He lets Brewster a coach who hasn't proven ANYTHING yet discipline his own players, but won't let Tubby who is one of the most proven coaches in all of Division 1 discipline his own players.

If that is the only thing you will never understand about Maturi, you are way ahead of many others.

I don't believe that trying to make sense of some of his decisions is a very healthy undertaking. I have observed that when someones rationale is inconsistent, that they are probably unstable (I don't think that JM is unstable) or that there is an agenda or circumstances that I am not aware of. I just wish that Joel would be open about his reasoning so that we can all quit thinking that the shoe that is about to drop (Trevor's transfer) could be avoided.

Please list all of the football players during Brewster's tenure who have been charged with a felony.

Thanks in advance!

What would you say about Wisconsin if they allowed a player to play with a pending felony charge - with the delays being asked for by the defense? How about Kentucky?

For the record - again - I suspect and hope TM is innocent. But it is not certain. Obviously the prosecutor doesn't think so.

"What would you say about Wisconsin if they allowed a player to play with a pending felony charge - with the delays being asked for by the defense? How about Kentucky?"

That's an easy one, Jake. We'd have a decent portion of this board -- in typical Minnesotan, provincial, holier-than-thou fashion -- mocking and chastising those schools (as well as Iowa) for their low standards in allowing a student-athlete to play with pending felony charges.

For all the Maturi bashing that goes on here, it's really pretty simple to figure out why he's getting raked over the coals. He's getting roasted because Trevor is (perceived to be) a student-athlete who could (presumably) greatly improve the Gopher basketball team and help us get more Ws. If it were Randy Chall, Wade Hokenson or the Stanford twins (no offense to those young men), we'd barely hear a peep about what an awful AD Joel is relative to the handling of the situation. Or how about if it was a mostly anonymous men's gymnast or an end-of-the-bench, no-name scrub on Coach Anderson's baseball team? Would a good share of this board be morally outraged if Joel made them sit out while facing pending felony charges?

"What would you say about Wisconsin if they allowed a player to play with a pending felony charge - with the delays being asked for by the defense? How about Kentucky?"

That's an easy one, Jake. We'd have a decent portion of this board -- in typical Minnesotan, provincial, holier-than-thou fashion -- mocking and chastising those schools (as well as Iowa) for their low standards in allowing a student-athlete to play with pending felony charges.

For all the Maturi bashing that goes on here, it's really pretty simple to figure out why he's getting raked over the coals. He's getting roasted because Trevor is (perceived to be) a student-athlete who could (presumably) greatly improve the Gopher basketball team and help us get more Ws. If it were Randy Chall, Wade Hokenson or the Stanford twins (no offense to those young men), we'd barely hear a peep about what an awful AD Joel is relative to the handling of the situation. Or how about if it was a mostly anonymous men's gymnast or an end-of-the-bench, no-name scrub on Coach Anderson's baseball team? Would a good share of this board be morally offended if Joel made them sit out whiole facing pending felony charges?

SS, that is perhaps a valid view. The reality is that if it was someone on the baseball team most of us wouldn't even be aware it was happening, so how could we be morally offended?

In any case, TM issue aside, do you want to sign up for 2-4 more years of Maturi or would you like to see what someone else can do?

His buddy Bruininks will write in a big payout/buyout option in case the incoming President wishes to replace Maturi before the extension is up... making it impossible to do so.

4 more years with this deadbeat.

In any case, TM issue aside, do you want to sign up for 2-4 more years of Maturi or would you like to see what someone else can do?

I'm not sure. But my reasons would have nothing to do with his handling of TM (acting like a man) or RW (acting like an entitled jackass).

I sure am sick of the football team sucking year-after-year, that's for sure.

"do you want to sign up for 2-4 more years of Maturi or would you like to see what someone else can do?"

Fair enough Howeda.

To answer your question honestly, I'm probably more indifferent than you think, but I'd lean on the side of giving Joel another couple years. I've always believed AD's at major universities are mostly judged on the the hires they make in the revenue-producing sports. In Joel's case that means Brew and Tubby, and certainly I'd like to see what those two guys can come up with in the next couple seasons, especially Brew. The jury is still out on both of them in terms of how high they can elevate their programs -- Brew much, much, much moreso than Tubby -- and to that end the jury's still out on Joel as well.

I certainly acknowledge that Joel has made some mistakes (such as the Monson and Mason things you have pointed out previously), but his handling of the White & Mbakwe situations has not bothered me one iota. I'm like everyone else. I hope Trevor is completely innocent with no conditions (read: copping a plea) and becomes a playing member of the Gopher basketball team. In the meantime, I'm just not willing to make Maturi the scapegoat and the second coming of the devil for his handling of the situation(s).

I certainly acknowledge that Joel has made some mistakes (such as the Monson and Mason things you have pointed out previously), but his handling of the White & Mbakwe situations has not bothered me one iota. I'm like everyone else. I hope Trevor is completely innocent with no conditions (read: copping a plea) and becomes a playing member of the Gopher basketball team. In the meantime, I'm just not willing to make Maturi the scapegoat and the second coming of the devil for his handling of the situation(s).

Completely agree.

"do you want to sign up for 2-4 more years of Maturi or would you like to see what someone else can do?"

Fair enough Howeda.

To answer your question honestly, I'm probably more indifferent than you think, but I'd lean on the side of giving Joel another couple years. I've always believed AD's at major universities are mostly judged on the the hires they make in the revenue-producing sports. In Joel's case that means Brew and Tubby, and certainly I'd like to see what those two guys can come up with in the next couple seasons, especially Brew. The jury is still out on both of them in terms of how high they can elevate their programs -- Brew much, much, much moreso than Tubby -- and to that end the jury's still out on Joel as well.

My concern is that if Joel's still on-board come next March/April, Tubby will be out the door. Especially if Mbakwe does transfer, I think it might be Tubby's last straw. If he goes, we'll be left with a likely lame-duck football coach (I don't think Joel will fire Brew under almost any circumstance after this season), a possible lame-duck hockey coach (ditto) and a new basketball coach fresh out of the MAC.

If I thought the TM situation would be the end of Maturi/the Administration gumming up the works on the basketball program AND that Tubby and Maturi could co-exist for another 4 years, I might be able to tolerate him staying on and hope he has enough fortitude to move on football and hockey if it's warranted. I'm still no fan of the guy, but you can't assume whoever replaces him will the next Jeremy Foley. I'm afraid that scenerio #1 is far more likely.

No Idea BUT My Guess

Joel will want to retire at 66. He's 64 this year (I think). I doubt he stays longer.

Tubby is 59 now. I doubt he coaches past retirement age, either. 7 more years, tops.

Please list all of the football players during Brewster's tenure who have been charged with a felony.

Thanks in advance!

Gary Tinsley was facing 2, now it looks like it's been pleaded down to one, with a few other charges:

Tinsley, 20, is charged with fleeing a peace officer, a felony, and fourth-degree drunken driving, a misdemeanor.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/98571614.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

You honestly can't compare Tubby's discipline to Brew's. Tubby had 2 of his top players sit for 1/2 a game for getting in a fight in practice (Nolen and Westbrook), he sat Bostick for almost half the season for smoking pot...what kind of punishment did Ralph Spry get for smoking pot (or many other football players that have tested positive)? Tell me again how many minutes Michael Carter sat out after he was arrested and jailed?

If you think the two have the same value set, you are sadly mistaken.

Good research there, GL.

Maturi's decisions in the White/Trevor cases has not significantly affected my view of him. I really don't have a criticism of those decisions.
I do have a big problem with his communication skills - and this is the primary part of his job. HIs job is not just to hire the coaches (this happens rarely) but to support and promote the athletic dept. What is my complaint of Joel? I could just say 'I am not going to go there', but honestly, the man obfuscates. Translated means he purposefully evades clear statements and calls it addressing the situation.
The man heads up an athletic dept at a school where he could build something vibrant and instead he sits, seemly waiting for his pension, and tries not to say anything that can be used against him.

I think Joel has done a very solid job and hope he will accept an extension.

I think Joel has done a very solid job and hope he will accept an extension.

Please help me out here. As an Athletic Director for the U, not as an Athletic Administrator, you see his accomplishments and goals as?

Top Bottom