Any news on softball coach?

tjgopher

Reaction score
Anyone with any scoop on the search for a new softball coach? It has been two months since the announcement that we'd be hiring a new coach. Any news?

Sounds like its between Tschida from St. Thomas or Mueller from NDSU. shooter had a note the other day that a west coast coach turned it down, no idea who that would be. they originally said it would be done by early this week.

Johnny Tschida would be a great hire.

He has won both at St. Mary's & at St. Thomas.

Gopher Softball

Tschida is one of the top softball coaches in the WORLD.

Hire him.

Mueller is a great coach for NDSU 2 straight appearances in the tournament and got us to the sweet 16 in 2009. (NDSU has only been able to go to the post season for the past 2 years cause of reclassification) Personally, I hope you guys take St. Thomas coach we are really developing a nice program here in Fargo.

shooter had a note the other day that a west coast coach turned it down, no idea who that would be.

Heard yesterday that the west coast coach who turned them down was Cal-Poly coach Jenny Condon. She is an Edina native and was a great player for Iowa State.

Also heard, they are close to a decision but Joel is on vacation.

John Tschida would be a great coach and is one of the best in the world. Will be interesting if he accepts if offered as he declined opportunities to coach both the Canadian and Chinese Olympic teams in 2008 to stay at St. Thomas. As a Gopher fan I hope he gets it but as a Tommie I hope he stays where he's at.

John Tschida would be a great coach and is one of the best in the world. Will be interesting if he accepts if offered as he declined opportunities to coach both the Canadian and Chinese Olympic teams in 2008 to stay at St. Thomas. As a Gopher fan I hope he gets it but as a Tommie I hope he stays where he's at.

The difference is that Tschida can take the U job without moving.

at least Darren turned down the Badgers as well, He would of made some serious enemies at NDSU if he turned down the gophers and went to Wisconsin. So at least he is smart!!
in Softball, you have to GET to the NCAA's, than anything can happen with a good pitcher and NDSU has Lake Crystal-Welcome's Whitney Johnson who as a freshman last year got NDSU back to the NCAA's after the Sweet 16 run Andi Padilla gave NDSU as a pitcher in 2009.

Seeing that this is softball, I would assume that Joel isn't exactly offering big bucks to these coaches. He's probably trying to sell them on coaching at the Big Ten level as reason enough for them to jump ship to Minnesota.

It's softball, I wouldn't want him to be putting too much money here while other sports are continuing to struggle. That said, being the only division 1 school in a very large state is a very positive thing to these smaller sports with more scholarship restraints.

Perhaps they aren't being offered big bucks for this job, but I doubt too many softball coaches around the country are offering big bucks. I would guess this job pays relatively well. Probably a lot of people would like the job, but it's a question of getting a good coach who wants the job. It's got to be someone who can rebuilt the team, not just someone who can keep a good team good.

My people tell me the job was also turned down by a Pac-10 assistant coach.

There is also great pressure on the administration by some to hire a woman. Bierman isn't exactly filled with women head coaches as two of the highest profile women's sports (volleyball and hockey) are coached by men.

John Tschida would be a great coach and is one of the best in the world. Will be interesting if he accepts if offered as he declined opportunities to coach both the Canadian and Chinese Olympic teams in 2008 to stay at St. Thomas. As a Gopher fan I hope he gets it but as a Tommie I hope he stays where he's at.[/QUOTE ]

I don't follow even remotely as closely as you I'm sure, but being offered the Canadian job really surprises me. (I'm not doubting you at all) I just assumed their search would have only included Canadians. He must be very highly thought of.

Top Bottom