Star Trib Article On Mbakwe & White

Conflicting comments

But even before this latest Mbakwe trial postponement, because of a judge's scheduling conflict, Maturi said he would allow Mbakwe to be eligible if the trial was delayed again.

"We made the statement a year ago that we believed this issue needed to be resolved before Trevor could play," Maturi said before Monday's rescheduling. "... I have made the statement that if the trial is delayed beyond the beginning of this academic year -- and it's not Trevor's doing, meaning it's not his lawyer, but it'd only be on the side of the prosecution -- I am willing to reconsider in allowing him to play.

But even before this latest Mbakwe trial postponement, because of a judge's scheduling conflict, Maturi said he would allow Mbakwe to be eligible if the trial was delayed again.

"We made the statement a year ago that we believed this issue needed to be resolved before Trevor could play," Maturi said before Monday's rescheduling. "... I have made the statement that if the trial is delayed beyond the beginning of this academic year -- and it's not Trevor's doing, meaning it's not his lawyer, but it'd only be on the side of the prosecution -- I am willing to reconsider in allowing him to play.

When Maturi talks to Sid, it's a double-edged sword. What Maturi doesn't do to contradict himself with his half-hearted statements, Sid will do for him by misunderstanding what he said. I think the bottom-line is clear, Maturi hasn't decided anything, and he won't won't until the situation forces him to do so. Right now he's 'considering reconsidering' his decision 'if' the trial gets delayed again.

The great Bud Grant once said, "Don't make a decision until you have to."

Right or wrong (that's up for debate), perhaps Joel is taking Bud's advice.

The great Bud Grant once said, "Don't make a decision until you have to."

Right or wrong (that's up for debate), perhaps Joel is taking Bud's advice.

Well perhaps not everything Bud ever said is gold. This is a nice idea in theory, but it's entirely possible Joel 'has to' make the decision now, or Trevor will make it for him.

Well perhaps not everything Bud ever said is gold. This is a nice idea in theory, but it's entirely possible Joel 'has to' make the decision now, or Trevor will make it for him.

Like you said, maybe Joel "has to make the decision now". Therefore Bud would still be correct.

I don't know if I'm comfortable with the title of this thread. It seems that the posts are more about Maturi than Mbakwe and White. I want it changed, NOW!......just kidding, just kidding.

Exactly. That has been the thrust of my reasoning ever since I read that JM would 'consider' changing his position'. An operations guy makes change, a politician contemplates change.

I hope that TM sticks w/ the U until JM gets some clarity.

Top Bottom