MN PNR / Best Buy Summer Classic 7/13-7/15

Reaction score
They are starting up the Best Buy Summer Classic at Jefferson today... there are a handful of great tournaments going on this week around the country, but we've got some decent teams in state for the next few days.

We'll see who all shows up, but there should be a number of highly talented kids on the courts... today I'll try to sneak out of the office for a bit to check out the 1:30pm game on the main gym between Indiana Elite and the Arkansas Wings.. tough to not pick Indiana Elite to win the tourney.

7:20 I hope to watch Dallas Showtyme vs. Grassroots Canada... 8:30 there are a couple of games I might have to move between - Minnesota PnR vs. DC Assault... and St. Louis Game Face vs. the Memphis Magic...

But, there are plenty of other solid teams playing in this tourney... they'll be going all day today and Wednesday before finishing up Thursday. I believe public admission is $10 per day.

17U Schedule

The Czar provided a write-up that highlights some of the names to look for on the respective teams - certainly worth a read if you're not familiar with some of these teams... it can be found at: http://tchoops.blogspot.com/2010/07/2010-best-buy-summer-classic-preview.html

wasn't able to get there until 6, saw most teams play once, alot of really good players and teams, sucks that it has to be during the week so most of us can't go except at night.

Best player I saw was a pg from DC Assault, he just killed MN PNR tonight. Dallas had several big time players and the best team or should I say the most talented was Indiana Elite which had Crean sitting front row and alot of other coaches watching. Plumlee and Zeller plus several other Ind recruits. I thought Estan was solid at point and heard he played really well earlier in the day. Moats hit a bunch of threes but he really likes to stay out on the perimeter and I'm not sure he is the type of PF we are looking for. Jonah Travis would be that player if only he we're a few inches taller. No gopher coaches in town to watch.

wasn't able to get there until 6, saw most teams play once, alot of really good players and teams, sucks that it has to be during the week so most of us can't go except at night.

Best player I saw was a pg from DC Assault, he just killed MN PNR tonight. Dallas had several big time players and the best team or should I say the most talented was Indiana Elite which had Crean sitting front row and alot of other coaches watching. Plumlee and Zeller plus several other Ind recruits. I thought Estan was solid at point and heard he played really well earlier in the day. Moats hit a bunch of threes but he really likes to stay out on the perimeter and I'm not sure he is the type of PF we are looking for. Jonah Travis would be that player if only he we're a few inches taller. No gopher coaches in town to watch.

I stopped by for the 1:30 Indiana Elite/Arkansas Wings game even though I had a conference call at 2... I tried to stay muted as much as possible but quickly got someone asking, "where in the heck are you?!?!" with the background noise. Ahh well. Tomorrow I decided to just take the day off - may only show up for a couple of games... but, just in case.

I just posted on another thread re: Quinn Cook from DC Assault - completely agree. I love the skills, but also the swag.. not that I give a ****, but seems like he's got superstar personality..

Plumlee looked blah.. troubled by Arkansas in the afternoon game.. that's all I saw of their team today. Etherington the II, II commit... he was helping to keep them in it.. hit three treys I recall.. but didn't score or do much late in the game... after it looked like he was heating up, he decided a 27 footer looked enticing and threw up an ugly shot. I like Zeller a lot.. especially after watching the championship game vs. Dawson's team a few months ago.. Yogi Ferrell.. real small.. had a nice little runner.. looked OK at times, but got beat bad when he was defending several times and looked rough other times... Indiana Elite overall just didn't look great in that game... maybe camp on Monday is partly to blame.

Moats definitely looks more in his element shooting from outside... don't see him being an on the blocks bruiser ever... Jonah Travis... great competitor. If I was in a brawl and needed someone to have my back, I'd call on that guy.. fearless. Very interested to see where he'll wind up...

PS - I like Kevin Thomas on Grassroots!!

Here is a fantastic recap by TCHoopsCzar - he goes to everything and does a great job of covering it all:

http://goo.gl/fb/ypSaf

I know he'll be there tomorrow as well, so be sure to check back for updates.

Top Bottom