Pulley 7-12

bga1

Reaction score
Had a chance to take in the late game with Nolen, Iverson, Elliason, Hollins and Ahsamani taking on Rodney Williams and Jonny Gilbert's team.

Nolen- must have had 25-30 points got red hot for a while from the 3pt line then cooled off. Lots of drive few finishes but overall he was pretty fun to watch.

Elliason - nice pick up by Tubby. Every bit as tall as Iverson, not just a bean pole, he has good hands is coordinated and has skills. He'll be a good future center for us.

Hollins- real impressive. He's athletic but moreso he's just a basketball player who's well rounded. He will be good depth this year.

Ahsamani- played solid nothing flashy. handles the ball well but Nolen had the ball a ton so it was hard to evaluate.

Iverson is a beast. Fearless. He was in a pretty physical battle with Gilbert. He will have a good year.

Rodney- was pretty quiet no huge dunks while I was there. A few drives and a three pointer or two but overall quiet.

It was a fun physical game to watch.

Rodney- was pretty quiet no huge dunks while I was there. A few drives and a three pointer or two but overall quiet.

It was a fun physical game to watch.

Thanks for the recap, bga. Just to add - I was only there for the beginning of Rodney's game - but when I saw him, he had 2 or 3 dunks in a row, and 2 nice blocks - one on Iverson, who has quite a few inches on him.

Thanks for the recap, bga. Just to add - I was only there for the beginning of Rodney's game - but when I saw him, he had 2 or 3 dunks in a row, and 2 nice blocks - one on Iverson, who has quite a few inches on him.

Good to hear GL. I happened to miss the 1st quarter so that's a good to hear. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me where Maurice Walker is?

Thanks.

Had a chance to take in the late game with Nolen, Iverson, Elliason, Hollins and Ahsamani taking on Rodney Williams and Jonny Gilbert's team.

Nolen- must have had 25-30 points got red hot for a while from the 3pt line then cooled off. Lots of drive few finishes but overall he was pretty fun to watch.

Mr. Nolen looked to be in the best shape of his life, he has visibly gained strength. In a three minute stretch he had an assist, then hit 4 three's in a row, ripped a rebound out of Gilbert's hands and had two steals.

Thanks for the reports..here is to Nolen!

If Nolen can finish--a little, and if he can discover a bounce pass to the post player on the block he could become and all-conference player. Remember when he destroyed Louisville and Patino gushed over him? Nolen will start and is invaluable to this team, the same way DJ was.

I'll give you my Pulley recap as it differs from the other report.

In the first game, Royce's team was upset by a group of young kids. Not to disrespect them, but the only player I knew was Zach Towle. But they played so well together - sharing the ball, making meaningful cuts, knocking down open shots, etc. Fun to watch. If anyone on this board knows who these kids are, please speak up. They deserve some kudos.

Royce's team was very disappointing, in particular Royce himself. The guy was terrible last night. His shot was off and he got stuffed several times at the rim by a bunch of undersized white dudes (No. 11 and No. 9). He also had several turnovers and wasn't active at all on the glass. After awhile, my buddy and I looked at each and basically said, "Who is this guy?" It was that bad. And he's not fooling anyone with that crossover from the top of the key. Bostick had some moments early but he also missed several easy shots. I would guess he still led their team in scoring. I was excited to finally see Jacob Thomas play, and he was just so-so. He hit some threes, but also missed several and was definitely below 50 percent. For a pure shooter, his shot is kind of flat. But he gets to the rim better than I expected.

In the second game, Rodney's team (Sabes) came out fast. They were up something like 26-6. Rodney had a few nice dunks and blocks early. He is noticeably bigger to me. Not strong yet, but definitely on his way. Late in the game he hit a deep three, his only outside shot. On the contrary, Iverson and Nolen started out slow. I think Al missed his first six shots and made only 1 of his first 4 free throws. But then he got hot and made four consecutive three pointers. He still has that nice first step, still unable to finish at the rim. He’s stronger too, but other than that his game looked pretty much the same. Iverson too got off to a slow start but made some nice moves later. He was matched up against Pulley veterans Gilbert, Melzer and No. 6. These guys are much quicker and that definitely bothered him. After being down 20 in the first quarter, Pat Madison Magic actually led at the end of the third.

As for the freshmen, I thought Austin Hollins was really, really impressive. Silky smooth on offense. Not just with the jumper, but also getting to the basket. He seems to absorb contact well and finish. He plays pretty solid D too. My best comparison would be a poor man’s version of Buford. The others were less impressive. Eliason started off dreadfully but showed he has potential. He’s tall, but not physical or particularly athletic. And whoever said he has good hands is dreaming. He dropped the ball/got stripped at least four or five times. And several times he was in good position on the block only to travel. He’s definitely a work in progress. Hard to believe but with two 7-footers on the floor Pat Madison Magic got outrebounded. The report on Maverick Ahanmisi is as bad as advertised. PMM won the tip and Maverick immediately passed the ball to – the referee. Yep, he misidentified the referee as one of his teammates. Off his back and out of bounds. Good start. From there he missed an open put back under the basket and got beat several times on D. The one shot he made bounced hard off the back rim and spun awkwardly into the hoop. From what I saw, he’s not very quick, doesn’t shoot well and is a liability on defense. I actually missed Kevin Payton for a second.

BigMan'sGame,
I agree with you alot more than the previous posters.
The first game certainly was entertaining. Royce looked like a lazy baby and let D2 & D3 players frustrate the crap out of him. I believe the only D1 player on the IIG team is #11 Josh Figini (Cornell via Chisago Lakes). All I can say is, good luck, Mr Hoiberg.

I was anxious to see alot of the new Gophers in the 2nd game. I have to say, I am somewhat concerned.
Maverick looked like a solid D3 player.
Elliason makes Colton as a freshman look strong and polished.
I did like Hollins game. Some nice jumpers...and couple sweet finger rolls...and effort on D!
Nolen looked stronger, but still streaky and out of control at times.
Rodney is still Rodney. Very fun to watch at times, but too inconsistant to pin any hope of stardom on.
Finesse is still not part of Colton's vocabulary. And, he does it all with a somewhat evil smile on his face. I just love that he pissed off Rich Melzer so much that Melzer got ejected for turning to the ref and yelling "f&*$ you, man".

Finesse is still not part of Colton's vocabulary. And, he does it all with a somewhat evil smile on his face. I just love that he pissed off Rich Melzer so much that Melzer got ejected for turning to the ref and yelling "f&*$ you, man".
That's pretty funny, thanks for the post.

I'll give you my Pulley recap as it differs from the other report.

In the first game, Royce's team was upset by a group of young kids. Not to disrespect them, but the only player I knew was Zach Towle. But they played so well together - sharing the ball, making meaningful cuts, knocking down open shots, etc. Fun to watch. If anyone on this board knows who these kids are, please speak up. They deserve some kudos.

Royce's team was very disappointing, in particular Royce himself. The guy was terrible last night. His shot was off and he got stuffed several times at the rim by a bunch of undersized white dudes (No. 11 and No. 9). He also had several turnovers and wasn't active at all on the glass. After awhile, my buddy and I looked at each and basically said, "Who is this guy?" It was that bad. And he's not fooling anyone with that crossover from the top of the key. Bostick had some moments early but he also missed several easy shots. I would guess he still led their team in scoring. I was excited to finally see Jacob Thomas play, and he was just so-so. He hit some threes, but also missed several and was definitely below 50 percent. For a pure shooter, his shot is kind of flat. But he gets to the rim better than I expected.

In the second game, Rodney's team (Sabes) came out fast. They were up something like 26-6. Rodney had a few nice dunks and blocks early. He is noticeably bigger to me. Not strong yet, but definitely on his way. Late in the game he hit a deep three, his only outside shot. On the contrary, Iverson and Nolen started out slow. I think Al missed his first six shots and made only 1 of his first 4 free throws. But then he got hot and made four consecutive three pointers. He still has that nice first step, still unable to finish at the rim. He’s stronger too, but other than that his game looked pretty much the same. Iverson too got off to a slow start but made some nice moves later. He was matched up against Pulley veterans Gilbert, Melzer and No. 6. These guys are much quicker and that definitely bothered him. After being down 20 in the first quarter, Pat Madison Magic actually led at the end of the third.

As for the freshmen, I thought Austin Hollins was really, really impressive. Silky smooth on offense. Not just with the jumper, but also getting to the basket. He seems to absorb contact well and finish. He plays pretty solid D too. My best comparison would be a poor man’s version of Buford. The others were less impressive. Eliason started off dreadfully but showed he has potential. He’s tall, but not physical or particularly athletic. And whoever said he has good hands is dreaming. He dropped the ball/got stripped at least four or five times. And several times he was in good position on the block only to travel. He’s definitely a work in progress. Hard to believe but with two 7-footers on the floor Pat Madison Magic got outrebounded. The report on Maverick Ahanmisi is as bad as advertised. PMM won the tip and Maverick immediately passed the ball to – the referee. Yep, he misidentified the referee as one of his teammates. Off his back and out of bounds. Good start. From there he missed an open put back under the basket and got beat several times on D. The one shot he made bounced hard off the back rim and spun awkwardly into the hoop. From what I saw, he’s not very quick, doesn’t shoot well and is a liability on defense. I actually missed Kevin Payton for a second.

I agree that Maverick is probably not going to help this year. However, much like Bostick starred in these games yet not as a Gopher, certain players don't fit well in this situation either. I am withholding a little on bashing Maverick because A) he's a frosh and B) he essentially plays the same position as Nolen who clearly was running the team and had the ball most of the night.

I have a higher opinion of Elliason than you but I missed the first quarter. During the stretches I saw I thought he showed pretty good hands in the midst of a fairly rough and tumble game. We'll see. I think he'll be a very good center for us some day.

I agree that Maverick is probably not going to help this year. However, much like Bostick starred in these games yet not as a Gopher, certain players don't fit well in this situation either. I am withholding a little on bashing Maverick because A) he's a frosh and B) he essentially plays the same position as Nolen who clearly was running the team and had the ball most of the night.

I have a higher opinion of Elliason than you but I missed the first quarter. During the stretches I saw I thought he showed pretty good hands in the midst of a fairly rough and tumble game. We'll see. I think he'll be a very good center for us some day.

The majority of GH-ers have made favorable remarks about Eliason and decent remarks about Ahanmisi, including Johnny Gopher.

I wouldn't put too much stock in today's two "experts" if I were you.

Eliason definitely played better as the game wore on. I agree he could be a nice player, but I really hope he redshirts this season.

And for as low as I was on Ahanmisi, I was equally as high on Hollins. I just loved his game. And for the record, I really hope Ahanmisi proves me wrong.

Top Bottom