GopherHole Exclusive interview with Royce White - why he didn't come back to the U

Well, that clears that up, it wasn't Smith, it wasn't White, it was the Academic Administration that vetoed it. White had no other choice than to transfer.

It sure doesn't sound like Royce White chose Iowa State over Minnesota as the title of the interview suggests. It sounds like the University of Minnesota chose not to allow Royce White to return. Time will tell if this was another huge mistake by a University that's made a ton of them.

The biggest red flag for me on Royce White is that he admits he didn't pick up a ball for months. I can't see a kid living up to his potential unless he has the passion and the work ethic for the sport.

Let see who Tubby brings in for 2011, my expectations are for a top 4-5 class in the Big Ten, he's certainly being paid to bring in talent that can compete for titles.

Well, I guess that the RW saga has had a lot of the speculation taken out of it. Finally.

If this is the whole story, it's a little sad that this kid (he's only 19) couldn't get it together and that the University of Minnesota is such a bureacratic morass that it is inflexible and cold. We could surmise that every bureacrat along the way is smugly gloating that they were able to impose the rules (cannon of their existence) and once more prove, sans logic, to their subjects (players and fans) that they are not to be questioned or messed with.

Trevor, you might be well advised to get out of here before the bureacracy needs another example of it's power to screw with people.

Well, I guess that the RW saga has had a lot of the speculation taken out of it. Finally.

If this is the whole story, it's a little sad that this kid (he's only 19) couldn't get it together and that the University of Minnesota is such a bureacratic morass that it is inflexible and cold. We could surmise that every bureacrat along the way is smugly gloating that they were able to impose the rules (cannon of their existence) and once more prove, sans logic, to their subjects (players and fans) that they are not to be questioned or messed with.

Trevor, you might be well advised to get out of here before the bureacracy needs another example of it's power to screw with people.

Yes. Poor, poor Royce being picked on and persecuted by the world. We may end up renaming him Jesus by the time this is all sorted out.

What's really scary is that some people take what Royce says as fact, hook, line and sinker? Have we not learned anything about this kid?

Same old story just different excuses. This kid is not taking responsibility for his actions, has no plan and is a classic finger pointer. But never at himself. And now looking elsewhere for someone to bail him out after screwing up a golden chance at the UM. I compare this to how hard my kids have worked and continue to toil to get to where they are today. In the meantime, there will be more sympathetic RW stories for some to buy into. Not me. Never have and never will for this kid.

I'm amazed at how defensive he was about the questionable Kentucky offer.

Same old story just different excuses. This kid is not taking responsibility for his actions, has no plan and is a classic finger pointer. But never at himself. And now looking elsewhere for someone to bail him out after screwing up a golden chance at the UM. I compare this to how hard my kids have worked and continue to toil to get to where they are today. In the meantime, there will be more sympathetic RW stories for some to buy into. Not me. Never have and never will for this kid.

If the U would not grant him a waiver and admit him he had no other choice. He had to go to another school. That is true for White or any other student. He happened to find a school that would admit him. Why is that so hard to understand.

Yes - I'm sure you can tell all the way from Arizona that the U of M is wrong and Royce White got screwed.

If the U would not grant him a waiver and admit him he had no other choice. He had to go to another school. That is true for White or any other student. He happened to find a school that would admit him. Why is that so hard to understand.

jovs- I think most are relieved he has moved on to another place. The point is his that his attitude appears to remain unchanged. Sadly, that spells trouble for an otherwise talented kid. I hope he turns it around soon. Just appearing at a different location doesn't mean anything has changed.

Question for Royce White:

Why did you drop out of school a week before your case concluded?

Are you aware you likely would have played after doing your community service or next season?

Are you also aware that would have required zero waivers from the NCAA?

Also, are you aware that would have meant you wouldn't need to transfer?

And last question Royce,

Why didn't you consider ANY of the above before dropping out of school???

Yes - I'm sure you can tell all the way from Arizona that the U of M is wrong and Royce White got screwed.
In all fairness beej, I don't think one's proximity to the U either qualifies nor disqualifies a person from having an opinion on the matter.

Whether you're at Sally's or in Kabul, you've probably gotten the same information from GH and the Strib re: the matter, and can form your opinion.

"There’s bad blood there, and some things can’t be mended within a couple of months. Hopefully, sometime I’ll be able to come back to the U and be part of the University." - Hopefully not.

Also WCCO/Rosen played his MOA tape last night, I always envisioned RW pushing down the security guard on carpet... nope, that was a body slam on concrete.

Pretty much the first thing that came to my mind as well. He likes to point fingers and everyone else but himself.

There are certainly some examples of the bureaucrats running roughshod over the basketball program (not letting Clem on the floor last Winter for example) but I can hardly blame them in this case. Every college student with a clue knows there's a deadline to drop classes and not have them on your record. And there was no reason for Royce to drop out in the first place if he wanted to continue at the U. This is 100% on him.

That he would flee to another school who will coddle him for his basketball skills is not hard to understand. What is hard for responsible adults to understand is why he feels he had no other choice. He could've chosen not to break the law (twice). He could've chosen not to drop out of school. He even could've chosen to drop out sooner, and that would've been better (so he says). He could've chosen to make up his missing credits in summer school.

He makes bad choice after bad choice and accepts no accountability. Could the U have helped him a little? Maybe. Should he expect others to bail him out of every bad decision he makes in his life just because he can play basketball? I say no.

That he would flee to another school who will coddle him for his basketball skills is not hard to understand. What is hard for responsible adults to understand is why he feels he had no other choice. He could've chosen not to break the law (twice). He could've chosen not to drop out of school. He even could've chosen to drop out sooner, and that would've been better (so he says). He could've chosen to make up his missing credits in summer school.

He makes bad choice after bad choice and accepts no accountability. Could the U have helped him a little? Maybe. Should he expect others to bail him out of every bad decision he makes in his life just because he can play basketball? I say no.

Athletes are coddled, no doubt about that. That is true for alot of the athletes, they do not have to look out for things for themselves. That has been true for ages though.

Out of curiosity I looked at the withdrawal schedule for last spring. It pretty much matches what White was saying. He screwed up when he dropped out. A day or two earlier and it would not have been an issue.

I wonder if he had been at Kentucky if the results would have been the same.

Spring semester 2010
Days of term %
Refund Change grade base or variable credits Required to cancel Required to add
Through Jan. 26 100% Allowed No approval No approval
Jan. 27- Feb. 1 75% Allowed No approval Instructor approval
Feb. 2-8 50% Not allowed No approval ("W" recorded on transcript) Approvals from both instructor & college scholastic committee Feb. 9-15 25% Not allowed No approval ("W" recorded on transcript) Approvals from both instructor & college scholastic committee
Feb. 16-Mar. 15 0% Not allowed No approval ("W" recorded on transcript) Approvals from both instructor & college scholastic committee
Mar. 16- May 7 0% Not allowed College scholastic committee approval ("W" recorded on transcript) Approvals from both instructor & college scholastic committee

"

Also WCCO/Rosen played his MOA tape last night, I always envisioned RW pushing down the security guard on carpet... nope, that was a body slam on concrete.

Any idea is this video could be found online anywhere? I checked briefly on WCCO's website but couldn't find it.

If this is the whole story, it's a little sad that this kid (he's only 19) couldn't get it together and that the University of Minnesota is such a bureaucratic morass that it is inflexible and cold. We could surmise that every bureaucrat along the way is smugly gloating that they were able to impose the rules (cannon of their existence) and once more prove, sans logic, to their subjects (players and fans) that they are not to be questioned or messed with.

Trevor, you might be well advised to get out of here before the bureaucracy needs another example of it's power to screw with people.

OK. I believe you guys. The overwhelming disagreement with my empathy for Royce's 'victimization' has been very instructional. I have not had the benefit of being consistently deceived by his persona, as most of the more experienced posters evidently have. My apologies for spouting w/out knowing. When I left MN Clem was the coach and I observed the Ganglehoff take down with dismay. Until my retirement last October I was a casual fan. I now have more time for D1bb and recently got involved in blogging on the Gophs and the Sun Devils.

I'll believe that the majority are correct in that Royce is a bad actor who would do more harm to the program than good.

I observe that many paint Trevor with the same brush and I don't believe that is prudent or fair.

In all fairness beej, I don't think one's proximity to the U either qualifies nor disqualifies a person from having an opinion on the matter.

Whether you're at Sally's or in Kabul, you've probably gotten the same information from GH and the Strib re: the matter, and can form your opinion.

Oh I agree- I have no more info than our friend and fellow poster from AZ. I just think common sense tells one that it's a lot easier to trust the U on this than it is Royce. The decision on Mbakwe may be a little cloudier because he has at least displayed a desire to play by the rules in the process. One never saw that with RW. Let's watch and see what happens next.

UK looked into it but ultimately declined the baggage associated with RW. It was UK decision.

UK turned down Royce for the baggage he brings? That says quite a bit about his character if even Calimari won't take him.

There has not even been one mention in this thread about Joel Maturi being the main cultprit in this matter. We seem to be finally making progress in GH in educating Holers about how things work at the U and who makes the decisions.

OK. I believe you guys. The overwhelming disagreement with my empathy for Royce's 'victimization' has been very instructional. I have not had the benefit of being consistently deceived by his persona, as most of the more experienced posters evidently have. My apologies for spouting w/out knowing. When I left MN Clem was the coach and I observed the Ganglehoff take down with dismay. Until my retirement last October I was a casual fan. I now have more time for D1bb and recently got involved in blogging on the Gophs and the Sun Devils.

I'll believe that the majority are correct in that Royce is a bad actor who would do more harm to the program than good.

I observe that many paint Trevor with the same brush and I don't believe that is prudent or fair.

Some may indeed be painting Trevor with the same brush but, for what it's worth, I'm not. First of all, Trevor's defense is mistaken identity -- that he wasn't there. Now, maybe that's false. But we know that Royce was guilty of his legal transgressions; the only questions were what the specific charges and penalties should be.

Secondly -- and more germaine to this discussion and my lack of empathy toward Royce -- is that (as far as we know) Trevor has continued to do what has been asked of him in terms of his work in school and on the court, despite his obvious frustration. If Trevor is truly innocent of his charges, he has far more to be resentful and angry about than Royce. But he has been much more responsible about it.

Time to move on now folks. Let's bid Royce a warm good-bye and move on to the next chapter.

Top Bottom