Royce to Iowa State

Reserve

Reaction score
Sorry if this got posted in one of the other threads, I didn't really scour through them ..

Doogie tweeted ..

I have confirmed what foxsports.com first reported: Royce White has signed financial aid agreement with Fred Hoiberg & Iowa St.

Good luck to Royce. I hope he does well in Ames.

ISU men's basketball: Cyclones gain Minnesota forward

Former Gopher basketball player Royce White today said he will transfer to Iowa State. He left the program in February after a series of legal and personal issues.

The 6-foot-9, 240-pound forward, will have four seasons remaining.

He averaged 16.2 points and six rebounds as a senior at Hopkins High School in Minneapolis, Minn. He was Minnesota’s Mr. Basketball in 2009.

“Royce has the complete package to be an impact frontcourt player in the Big 12,” coach Fred Hoiberg said in a statement. “He is a physical presence on the block and he will also challenge defenders with his ability to shoot. I like his presence on the boards and he comes from a winning background.”

White will play for former Minnesota Timberwolves player and executive Fred Hoiberg.

“I am aware of Royce’s situation at Minnesota,” Hoiberg said. “I have talked with a lot of people who are close to him, spoken with Royce in person multiple times and feel he is sincerely committed to meeting the expectations we have for our players. On one of his campus visits, Royce also met with institutional staff both inside and outside of the athletics department and he left very positive impressions on everyone.”

White retains four years of eligibility. He is in the process of applying for a waiver from the NCAA to become eligible this season. The results of that waiver are expected later this summer.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...-s-basketball-Cyclones-gain-Minnesota-forward

Actually, I think Iowa State is located in Cedar Falls

UNI. But, they all look alike to me. The more important question is how in the hell can Iowa have three D1 universities and we only have one?

I kept saying there would be a team out there that would let him play. It's too bad it won't be us. I guess we don't need 5-star recruits.

I kept saying there would be a team out there that would let him play. It's too bad it won't be us. I guess we don't need 5-star recruits.

No one has let him play (yet). Few schools want 5 Star recruits who did what Royce did in his time at Minnesota. Iowa St has no risk at all.

“I am very grateful to the administration at Iowa State and Coach Hoiberg and his staff for giving me a chance to attend ISU and pursue a college basketball career,” said White in a statement. “Hopefully I can play this season and help the program.”

The only quote I've seen so far from Royce.

ONE

ONE: Over or Under on the number of games Mr. White will play for Iowa State.

I say Under.

He gets no NCAA waiver to play in 2010-2011 season and can not stay focused and out of trouble for another year to actually play in 2011-2012.

In any case, good riddance and best of luck to him.

:clap::clap::clap:

I'll take the under as well.

Glad this saga is over. A page that needed to be turned a long, long time ago.

I think it's Hoiberg who's going to need "good luck"...

Iowa State: Add White to this class and you have 94, 92, 91, 90, and 87 ratings. That is a strong class. Relatively good class in 2011 that could be very good. They have the makings of a first rate program. Hoiberg has started with a bang, they show some success on the court next season and they could be very good.

2010 Player Commits
NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL RANK GRADE
Jordan Railey Power Forward 6-9 225 Beaverton H.S. (OR) PF #30 92
Eric McKnight Power Forward 6-9 215 Princeton Day Academy (MD) PF #41 91
Melvin Ejim Small Forward 6-6 205 Brewster Academy (NH) SF #38 90
Calvin Godfrey Power Forward 6-8 215 Robbinsdale Cooper H.S. (MN) PF #86 87
2010 Player Commitments - Iowa State - Junior College/Transfers
NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL
DeMarcus Phillips
Shooting Guard 6-2 195 Marshalltown Community College (IA)

The 2011 class.

2011 Player Commits
Elgin Cook Small Forward 6-6 185 Milwaukee Hamilton H.S. (WI) SF #12 96
Anthony Odunsi Shooting Guard 6-3 195 Travis H.S. (TX) 40

2011 Players Considering - Iowa State
Naadir Tharpe Point Guard 6-0 170 Brewster Academy (NH) PG #8 96
Ross Travis Small Forward 6-7 195 Chaska H.S. (MN) SF #29 92
Forrest Robinson Center 6-9 210 Eastland H.S. (TX) 40
Jarrod Uthoff Power Forward 6-8 Jefferson H.S. (IA) 40

Glad it's over. I'll take the under as well. My prediction for the uniform Royce will be wearing for his next 'official' game..Sioux Falls Sky Force.

damnation...

Iowa State is my other team (did my doctoral work there).
Now I have to go through the Royce White uncertainty all over again.
My gut tells me he won't be mature or disciplined enough to ever play a game.
Interesting to see what the Mayor is pulling together in Ames, though.
Go Clones (unless they're playing the Gophs, of course).

I am still not sure what to make of this. If "The Mayor" is going to return "The Magic" to Hilton Coliseum, he is going to have to take some risks. Here is his first...I *really* hope this works out.

Between Royce and Godfrey, whew, good luck Hoiberg, your going to need it.

Not suprised that Royce charmed everybody on his visit, he has always had the ability to turn it on and has done that to many people at Minnesota over the years, just wait until these same people get to meet the other Royce White.

Ever since he was kicked out of DeLaSalle, there have been people convinced he was a changed man yet he has had problems at every stop. His stay at Hopkins wasn't as perfect as some have made it out to be although he avoided getting in major trouble and his brief stay at the U was a disaster from Day 1 which resulted in him getting kicked out of the dorms in the first few weeks. Maybe in a couple years when he's moved on and some people here have come to terms with Royce, then we can all share some of the Royce stories that never made it into the mainstream.

I really hope he does finally turn it around and leaves his baggage and posse behind in Mpls. and goes on to have a good career because I do think that he's not a lost cause and there is alot of good in there but he has some demons that he battles and hopefully he can put them to rest but I can't say I'm optimistic at the moment.

I know the kid was a tremendous talent and it hurts to lose that. In the long run, your program will be in better shape without him. I just think he has a natural tendency to make poor decisions and self-destruct. Tubby will get more mileage out of the guys he can count on and develop.

I really hope he does finally turn it around and leaves his baggage and posse behind in Mpls. and goes on to have a good career because I do think that he's not a lost cause and there is alot of good in there but he has some demons that he battles and hopefully he can put them to rest but I can't say I'm optimistic at the moment.

Always look forward to your posts, JG.

I doubt he's going to make it also but don't really care one way or the other. Just want to move on. White has never had to really pay for his behavior. Gets booted out of DeLaSalle and ends up on a championship team at Hopkins. Quits Minnesota, blames everyone else, and now it appears he'll get a scholarship at Iowa State. Ames might not be the glamour spot he foresaw, but, once again, his talent gets him through. He can still think he'll be in the NBA some day and he's still got his street cred or whatever the hell it is that's important to him.

That's the lesson he's learning. It could ruin his life some day, unfortunately.

I guess we don't need 5-star recruits

No, we don't, according to J. Maturi, who admittedly is too worried about what the media thinks in this town when making decisions.

We have a 5-star recruit who got a 3.2 GPA during the fall semester, and Maturi lets the media and a bunch of bumbling UMPD cops prevent him from ever seeing the court.

This is our leader, folks. Plain and simple.

Top Bottom