Former Kentucky star, Mel Turpin committed suicide

Sad

I recall Turpin as a pretty talented guy who basically ate his way out the NBA. Very sorry to hear about this.

Another Article Said

Turpin was due to begin collecting his NBA pension later this year (when he turned 50).

Last I knew, he was working as a security guard in Lexington.

Turpin

His wife (or ex-wife, not sure) was from Clinton, Ill., and they lived there in the late 80s/early 90's (?) when my brother was a sports scribe for the local paper. By all accounts Turpin was an unassuming, polite man. My brother remembers Turpin showing up at several Clinton basketball games (the town was known more for its wrestling program back then), politely greeting those who approached him, but laying low & then sitting by himself as to not create a stir.

His wife (or ex-wife, not sure) was from Clinton, Ill., and they lived there in the late 80s/early 90's (?) when my brother was a sports scribe for the local paper. By all accounts Turpin was an unassuming, polite man. My brother remembers Turpin showing up at several Clinton basketball games (the town was known more for its wrestling program back then), politely greeting those who approached him, but laying low & then sitting by himself as to not create a stir.

That's his ex-wife. The current Mrs. Turpin was one of his HS teachers.

Top Bottom