Uthoff shines at Next Level Invitational; Jesperson excited to see Tubby

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per these updates:

Marcus tweet: "Jesperson said he didn't play that well in front of Tubby and Gophers coaches, but he was excited to see them in Milwaukee."

Analysis of players at event:

MARCUS PAIGE – 6’0” – PG – MARTIN BROTHERS
Continues to impress with his vision, handles, and ability to control the game, Paige has been solid during pool play with a number of quality efforts while leading his team to a 3-0 mark.

JARROD UTHOFF – 6’8” – F – IOWA BARNSTORMERS
One of the most coveted talents on the board in the 2011 class with a game that continues to generate more and more interest, Uthoff hit jumpers, played solid defense, was active on the glass, and dominated on times around the basket. One of the most underrated talents in the country, Uthoff has been very impressive so far.

JOSH OGLESBY – 6’5” – G – IOWA BARNSTORMERS
A quality perimeter talent who can play the 1, 2 , or 3, Oglesby hit the trey ball, showed solid vision and ability to play with the ball in his hands, and hit some mid range looks as well.

PAUL JESPERSON – 6’6” – SG – WISCONSIN PLAYMAKERS
Sharpshooting talent who is one of the most coveted perimeter shooters in the country, Jesperson knocked down some mid range looks, attacked the rim, and hit the trey ball. Was impressive day 1 and showed flashes yesterday.

TYUS JONES – 6’0” – PG – HOWARD PULLEY BLACK
One of the premiere 2014 players in the country with top 5-10 potential, Jones has exceptional floor leadership, handles it, distributes it, can stroke the jumper, and is on the cusp of being one of the most courted talents in the country the next few years. Exceptional so far.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=574

Go Gophers!!

One of the most coveted talents on the board in the 2011 class with a game that continues to generate more and more interest, Uthoff hit jumpers, played solid defense, was active on the glass, and dominated on times around the basket. One of the most underrated talents in the country, Uthoff has been very impressive so far.

I don't see on Rivals that Minnesota has offered or that he was interested in Minnesota.

Johnny Gopher or Gopher Warrior - do we or does he have interest in us?

I don't see on Rivals that Minnesota has offered or that he was interested in Minnesota.

This ship has sailed. Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Iowa teams (ISU, Hawkeyes, UNI) are the frontrunners and Uthoff is bound to go to one of those schools.

I removed him from my potential prospects spreadsheet last week. Seems to me that I remember reading that he had narrowed his list and the Gophs didn't make the cut.

May I suggest IGNORE RIVALS and you'll be fine. They don't have accurate, updated information.

Paige - Our chances?

Marcus Paige is one recruit that really impressed me. I know the Gophers seemed to be one of the early teams recruiting him. Now that his stock continues to rise, does anyone know where do we currently stand with him? Do we have a realistic shot at landing him?

per these updates:

Marcus tweet: "Jesperson said he didn't play that well in front of Tubby and Gophers coaches, but he was excited to see them in Milwaukee."

Analysis of players at event:

MARCUS PAIGE – 6’0” – PG – MARTIN BROTHERS
Continues to impress with his vision, handles, and ability to control the game, Paige has been solid during pool play with a number of quality efforts while leading his team to a 3-0 mark.

JOSH OGLESBY – 6’5” – G – IOWA BARNSTORMERS
A quality perimeter talent who can play the 1, 2 , or 3, Oglesby hit the trey ball, showed solid vision and ability to play with the ball in his hands, and hit some mid range looks as well.

PAUL JESPERSON – 6’6” – SG – WISCONSIN PLAYMAKERS
Sharpshooting talent who is one of the most coveted perimeter shooters in the country, Jesperson knocked down some mid range looks, attacked the rim, and hit the trey ball. Was impressive day 1 and showed flashes yesterday.

TYUS JONES – 6’0” – PG – HOWARD PULLEY BLACK
One of the premiere 2014 players in the country with top 5-10 potential, Jones has exceptional floor leadership, handles it, distributes it, can stroke the jumper, and is on the cusp of being one of the most courted talents in the country the next few years. Exceptional so far.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=574

Go Gophers!!

And (former Gopher target) this one:

CHIM KADIMA – 6’4” – G – MILWAUKEE SPARTANS
Skilled perimeter talent who can play either guard spot, Kadima hit jumpers, knocked down mid range looks, and showed an ability to hit the perimeter shot once again in an impressive Day 2 performance.

I have not seen any reports that Minnesota has offered Jarrod Uthoff. There was mention of some Minnesota interset a couple months ago, but Uthoff recently cut his list to 6 (Butler, Iowa, Iowa St., Illinois, Northern Iowa and Wisconsin). In addition, when he made that cut, he said he could have a final decision within a couple weeks, which would make it difficult for Minnesota to get involved. Perhaps he gets a lot more attention during the evaluation period and ends up delaying the decision, but as of now, I would guess Minnesota's chances are pretty slim.

From the perspective of a UW fan, I really, really like Uthoff. He is very skilled, which when combined with his height, makes for a versatile face-up PF. He will probably need to get stronger to be an effective defender, but I think he would be a great fit in Madison. He has apparently become the priority for the UW staff for their one remaining 2011 scholarship. Rumors are that he would like to stay close to home, which would seem to favor the Iowa schools.

May I suggest IGNORE RIVALS and you'll be fine. They don't have accurate, updated information.

Could be true, but Uthoff's coach said last week the final six teams were Wiscy, Illinois, ISU, Iowa, UNI and Butler, but he was still open to new suitors though he is expected to make his decision before school starts mid-August.

Could be true, but Uthoff's coach said last week the final six teams were Wiscy, Illinois, ISU, Iowa, UNI and Butler, but he was still open to new suitors though he is expected to make his decision before school starts mid-August.

No recruiting service - not Rivals, Scout, ESPN, or Hoopmasters - is up-2-date accurate on offers.

Marcus Paige is one recruit that really impressed me. I know the Gophers seemed to be one of the early teams recruiting him. Now that his stock continues to rise, does anyone know where do we currently stand with him? Do we have a realistic shot at landing him?

I've read (but don't know) that Gophers are in his Top 2 or 3 at this early stage.

Blizzard, when Uthoff cut his list to six schools the Rivals database was adjusted to reflect his decision shortly after by the publisher who wrote the story.

On June 17th I wrote a story relating to the Gopher interest (http://minnesota.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1095100) but I think the interest came a little late compared to the other schools recruiting him.

Whatever the case Jarrod is a nice talent.

Blizzard, when Uthoff cut his list to six schools the Rivals database was adjusted to reflect his decision shortly after by the publisher who wrote the story.

Thanks Ryan. :)

Marcus tweet this morning:

"Gophers target Paul Jesperson receives Notre Dame offer. He unofficially visited Irish this summer. Are they ahead of Minnesota? Not sure."

Go Gophers!!

Marcus tweet this morning:

"Gophers target Paul Jesperson receives Notre Dame offer. He unofficially visited Irish this summer. Are they ahead of Minnesota? Not sure."

Go Gophers!!

Jesperson visited ND awhile ago.. got the offer a few days ago.

Interestingly, Uthoff has received an offer from............ Virginia.

Jesperson visited ND awhile ago.. got the offer a few days ago.

Interestingly, Uthoff has received an offer from............ Virginia.

Offers from Virginia could become less interesting when people start considering the roots of the man in charge.

Coach Bennett was my top choice for the job until Coach Smith came out of nowhere to board the plane with AD Maturi. Bennett should be solid at Virginia, but should consider moving on a some point. It has to get old at some point, being in a state that produces so many good players, but having schools like Georgetown, Maryland, UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest possibly having a leg up on you for those kids in your own backyard.

Offers from Virginia could become less interesting when people start considering the roots of the man in charge.

Coach Bennett was my top choice for the job until Coach Smith came out of nowhere to board the plane with AD Maturi. Bennett should be solid at Virginia, but should consider moving on a some point. It has to get old at some point, being in a state that produces so many good players, but having schools like Georgetown, Maryland, UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest possibly having a leg up on you for those kids in your own backyard.

The academics don't make it easy to recruit, but in reality they're no tougher then Duke or UNC, etc. It's a long way back and they'll never compete with the big boys, but they can get back to Maryland/Wake's level. I think it's widely assumed that if Bucky comes around after Bo retires, he's gone. Outside of that, I expect him to stay awhile.

Ryan James wrote re: Uthoff:

"I think the interest came a little late compared to the other schools recruiting him."

Same story, over and over and over again, with Tubby and his staff. Too plodding in their evaluations, too late in building relationships with recruits, too late in showing interest, too late in making offers. In a word, too old-school.

"I think the interest came a little late compared to the other schools recruiting him."

Same story, over and over and over again, with Tubby and his staff. Too plodding in their evaluations, too late in building relationships with recruits, too late in showing interest, too late in making offers. In a word, too old-school.

The family of Tyus Jones would definitely disagree.

Go Gophers!!

The family of Tyus Jones would definitely disagree.

Go Gophers!!
We haven't even filled our 2010 scholarships, have no one for 2011 and spend an inordinate amount of time watching an 8th grader when odds are Tubby and staff won't even be here when it's his time to play. This isn't the hardest working staff in the Big Ten and maybe it's on the other end of the scale.

?? so what we never even wanted uthoff its not a big loss. He is weak and dosen't fit our style of play, you can't say interest came too late if we never even had interest

Easy now! We can only add 2-4 scholly recruits next year depending on how Dawson is handled and Trevor's transfer status.

On my spreadsheet I have Tubby & Crew courting or having offered over 20 players for 2011 that currently have 'potential' status. I suspect that they are always working. Many times I find out that they've offered a player that I was unaware was even being courted.

In Uthoff's case, they looked at him and evidently it wasn't a fit. Could be Uthoff didn't like the new state-of-the-art practice facility (TIC). Could be they couldn't offer because of another offeree that they didn't want to scare off. Could be they perceived a flaw in Uthoff's game. Could be that he couldn't bring the skills to fill a need on the squad. Could be that he didn't want to live that far from his grandma for four years. Could be that Tubby didn't feel that he could commit to dealing with Jarrod's shortcomings or had the skills to deal with them. Could be that Jarrod doesn't like anything Minnesotan. And on and on and on.

I can't tag Tubby as plodding, slothful or unable to adapt. Tubby is one of the premier coaches in the nation. We shouldn't be so critical. The U is fortunate to have him and we do get to enjoy 20+ wins each year.

We haven't even filled our 2010 scholarships, have no one for 2011 and spend an inordinate amount of time watching an 8th grader when odds are Tubby and staff won't even be here when it's his time to play. This isn't the hardest working staff in the Big Ten and maybe it's on the other end of the scale.

Mother Nut or Numb Mother (your choice), the Gophers have 12 on scholarship and 4 walk-ons for 2011. A roster of 16 is usually quite adequate for games and practices.

The Gophers have 3 open scholarships for 2011 recruits. There are several possibilities for each.

Gophers filled all 5 spots in fall 2007 for 2008 class. Gophers filled all 4 spots in fall 2008 for 2009 class. Gophers filled 2 (of 3) spots in fall 2009 for 2010 class, holding 1 open for Cory Joseph.

Your last sentence is moronic but not surprising (given the source).

Gophers need PG, SG, and F in this (2011) class. Gophers have several targets at each spot.

Perhaps Ryan James (and his ilk) will come to realize that Gopher coaches don't consult with him on which players to recruit so Rivals can sell more subscriptions.

Mother Nut or Numb Mother (your choice), the Gophers have 12 on scholarship and 4 walk-ons for 2011. A roster of 16 is usually quite adequate for games and practices.

The Gophers have 3 open scholarships for 2011 recruits. There are several possibilities for each.

Gophers filled all 5 spots in fall 2007 for 2008 class. Gophers filled all 4 spots in fall 2008 for 2009 class. Gophers filled 2 (of 3) spots in fall 2009 for 2010 class, holding 1 open for Cory Joseph.

Your last sentence is moronic but not surprising (given the source).

The best line you can come up with is Mother Nut and your calling me moronic. That is sweet.

While I certainly have issues with some of the things this staff does in the way they recruit, remember that we we're one of the first to evaluate and offer Jesperson and Oglesby

This staff is not......

on the same page.

Example: Saul likes Estan Tyler and the kid thinks he has an offer. But it seems he does not.
Jirsa likes Moats, pushes for an offer, the rest of the staff is not so sure.

I cannot believe we are not in better shape with a quality point guard. We are truly needy at this position for next season...and it doesn't seem like we're a finalist for anyone significant unless they view Oglesby as a point.

Top Bottom