Wisconsin game

Gopherthewin

Gopher Fan
Reaction score
Although the Badgers are not ranked, I believe they are still a good team, especially at home. If our Gophers go into the Kohl Center (regarded as an extremely tough place to win - Bo Ryan is like 101-6 at the Kohl Center) and beat the Badgers it would be a good win for our tournament resume and a boost to our team's road confidence. As long as we play hard, smart, and take good looks I bet we win and move on to the "home game" at Northwestern (Barnyard road trip). Beat Becky.

If Bostick scores 19 points again...and Al protects the ball in the manner to which we have become accustomed.

As long as Bo's whining to the refs doesn't hand it to them.

The checks have already been cut and they are in the secret compartment in the ref's locker room. It has nothing to do with whining, UW bribes the refs. That is why we are 114-8 at home under Ryan.

The checks have already been cut and they are in the secret compartment in the ref's locker room. It has nothing to do with whining, UW bribes the refs. That is why we are 114-8 at home under Ryan.

All bribes aside, are you denying that Bo has a certain talent for "working" the refs, especially at home?

Letdown anyone? It would seem impossible against Bucky, but don't rule it out.

The last game was just too easy and I hope they don't go out there expecting all their shots to fall like the PSU game. I'm taking a show-me attitude with Bostick & Carter coming off such great games. With Carter, I remember how great he looked in one of those exhibition games and how his then shot disappeared until PSU. And was PSU Bostick's coming out? I sure hope so, but I wouldn't be surprised that he takes a step backward against Wiskey either.

Same as always...

If the Gophers don't send the Badgers to the FT line 25 times, they'll have a good chance to win.

Never thought I'd say this but after watching the replay of the PSU game last night, I actually think PSU is more athletic than the Badgers.

It's always the same with Bucky and it will be the same tomorrow night; keep them off the FT line and I don't think we'll be disappointed with the outcome.

Should be a good game, although I'm not confident about pulling out a win. Gophers are still a relatively young team, lots of guys playing in just their 5th BT game. Bucky is tough if you don't play disciplined basketball and I'm not sure I'm convinced the Gophers are there quite yet. I'd feel better about the game if it were a few weeks from now, with a more 'seasoned' bunch of guys.

That being said, it is an UNBELIEVABLE luxury to have that the Gophers are not dependent on one or two guys having good nights to win. It gives them a lot more room for error than they've had in the past. Also makes them a lot tougher to defend and prepare for.

Like we've said a lot recently, we'll know a lot more about these guys after this game.

I'm most afraid of the young players thinking that 34 seconds of defense is enough.

The 34 seconds of defense applies to the Bucky players as well.

I think Tubby will have his guys ready. He won't allow the team to come out flat on the road two times in a row.

Tubby will definitely have the guys ready to go, that rarely ever is a problem. The question is will the players come off a fairly easy win too relaxed. Remember Whiskey got spanked by 13 to Purdue their last game. So I bet they will be eager to get a W.

Make some shots...

and keep the crowd out of the game. Play D with a high energy level and as Ogee mentioned, keep them off the free throw line. Maybe Hoffarber comes out of his funk and drains a few. God I'm sick of losing in Madison. Let's make some shots and win the game.

Personally, I think the Gophers are a tad more athletic from top to bottom than the Badgers, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Wisconsin beats a lot of teams that are more athletic than they are.

The biggest key will be execution, knocking down shots and playing sound defense.

Also, if it's a close game, don't count on balanced refereeing. It just won't happen. The key will be overcoming it.

If the Gophers don't send the Badgers to the FT line 25 times, they'll have a good chance to win.

Never thought I'd say this but after watching the replay of the PSU game last night, I actually think PSU is more athletic than the Badgers.

It's always the same with Bucky and it will be the same tomorrow night; keep them off the FT line and I don't think we'll be disappointed with the outcome.

Should be a good game, although I'm not confident about pulling out a win. Gophers are still a relatively young team, lots of guys playing in just their 5th BT game. Bucky is tough if you don't play disciplined basketball and I'm not sure I'm convinced the Gophers are there quite yet. I'd feel better about the game if it were a few weeks from now, with a more 'seasoned' bunch of guys.

That being said, it is an UNBELIEVABLE luxury to have that the Gophers are not dependent on one or two guys having good nights to win. It gives them a lot more room for error than they've had in the past. Also makes them a lot tougher to defend and prepare for.

Like we've said a lot recently, we'll know a lot more about these guys after this game.

I agree the game will be won or lost at the free throw line. We have to make the free throws we get.

Interesting take on the gophers from the Badger board.

Wisconsin33 wrote: This is what I think of Minnesota: (In general)

Just like football, you've had a pony of a schedule up until now compared to most teams in the Big Ten and you've managed to obtain a good record.
Consequently, alllll of your terrible half-hearted fans have risen from the dead now that suddenly you might have the slightest of chances of beating Wisconsin. And, after years and years of UM "fans" saying "Yeah, yeah... the gophers suck... no one cares about sports at this school anyways," you're all suddenly ready to talk trash and point out the faults of everyone else. All of the sudden you all have a collective boner for your 2nd rate school and that piece garbage shack called "The Barn" and proclaim that it's the hardest court to play on in the world because of that INTIMIDATING raised floor! SO UNIQUE!

Well Gophers, this Badger Student doesn't buy it. You're Minnesota Gophers and you're still terrible, even if you've gotten a few wins. You, Northwestern and Indiana continue to be the embarrassment of the Big Ten. Your fans stink and once again, you'll find out, for yet another year, what it's like to naively come into the Kohl Center in Madison and be completely overwhelmed by a giant loyal fan base who will be cheering for the defending Big Ten Champions.

SO PLEASE! Come back and talk about sports with us (as if you are at the same level as Wisconsin) when your team isn't on a fluke of a start- trust me it won't happen...

We could take Wisconsin33 to Lake Pepin

and surround him with snowmobiles and take him out. The best part is that there would be someone waiting in the woods to give him more wood so to speak.

Loyal fan base my ass. No one went to Wisconsin basketball games until they built the Kohl Center and Bo Ryan became coach.

Wisconsucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I've read most of his posts over the years and he's the quintessential Madison-living, Badger-loving "fan" Must have been out of alcohol or something when he posted that...

Right now, I'm sure he's looking forward to posting something interesting on the "Leftovers, Bacon and Drinking Board" over at Buckyville.com that is soooo popular amongst UW fans...:rolleyes:

As of a few minutes ago the line was Wisconsin -8. U of M is the underdog. Not much respect, yet.

zone defense

hope the gophs zones are ready to go, becky hasn't played well against the zone so far this year

hope the gophs zones are ready to go, bucky hasn't played well against the zone so far this year

Umm... that's completely false. In the four games that teams played a ton of zone against them, they've shot 50.5% (102/202) from the field and 47.5% (29/61) from 3.

As of a few minutes ago the line was Wisconsin -8. U of M is the underdog. Not much respect, yet.

We have lost 3 Big Ten games at home in 7 plus years with Ryan. Did you really think that Minnesota would be favored?

We have lost 3 Big Ten games at home in 7 plus years with Ryan. Did you really think that Minnesota would be favored?

I'm not sure how you interpreted that from his post. I believe the "no respect" card was played due to the spread being 8 points, not the fact that the Gophers weren't favored.

No right-minded Gopher fan thinks the team should be favored in Madison. We all know beating the Badgers in front of the self-proclaimed "giant loyal fan base" would be the greatest upset in the history of college basketball.

Please go back to Buckyville and circle jerk with the rest of the band dorks.

Realistically I'm not sure the Badger fans should be nervous - yet. I don't think the Gophs have won in Madison since the early Clinton years but I may be wrong here. Is Tubby's team better than Bo's? That's a very legit question this year but recent history is definitely on the side of Becky.

If I were a Badger fan (and that's not really possible as I'm way too attractive for that), I wouldn't be too worried.

Run and then run some more...

This Gopher team is deep. It lacks a definitive starting 5 that sticks out from the players on the bench. Wisconsin on the other hand is not nearly as deep. Play 11 guys and run at every opportunity. Wear out Hughes, Landry, Krabbenhoft, etc to the point where they need prolonged breathers on the bench. I'll take our chances against their bench. Wisconsin is not athletic as a whole compared to the Gophers and we need to exploit it with fast breaks, presses, and an up-tempo game. There's a reason why Wisconsin has really struggled against fast, athletic teams over the past 2 seasons. Marquette, Duke, Purdue, etc have all pushed the ball with success on Becky. It's a task to win on the road and it's a task to win at the Kohl Center. However, the formula is out there to beat Becky at home and it's quite obvious IMO. We have the depth and athleticism that can exploit their glaring weaknesses. It's just a matter of setting the tempo and sticking to it. Becky is pretty darn good in the halfcourt set on both ends. Turn it into a running game and I think the Gophers win.

Good luck tonight Gophers

A win tonight and this town will be going crazy and all the non - believers will become believers.

I am a believer.

Run and then run some more...

This Gopher team is deep. It lacks a definitive starting 5 that sticks out from the players on the bench. Wisconsin on the other hand is not nearly as deep. Play 11 guys and run at every opportunity. Wear out Hughes, Landry, Krabbenhoft, etc to the point where they need prolonged breathers on the bench. I'll take our chances against their bench. Wisconsin is not athletic as a whole compared to the Gophers and we need to exploit it with fast breaks, presses, and an up-tempo game. There's a reason why Wisconsin has really struggled against fast, athletic teams over the past 2 seasons. Marquette, Duke, Purdue, etc have all pushed the ball with success on Becky. It's a task to win on the road and it's a task to win at the Kohl Center. However, the formula is out there to beat Becky at home and it's quite obvious IMO. We have the depth and athleticism that can exploit their glaring weaknesses. It's just a matter of setting the tempo and sticking to it. Becky is pretty darn good in the halfcourt set on both ends. Turn it into a running game and I think the Gophers win.

Easier said then done. I am not sure the Gophers are in the class of Marquette, Duke and Purdue, but maybe they are. I guess time will tell. I have seen the Gophers play a number of times this year, and for all the "depth" they are supposed to have, there are many times with certain line ups on the floor where you have to wonder where the next basket is coming from.
I am not sure Joseph, Iverson, Sampson, et al are ready to play a big time game on the road. I would expect Nolen would need to play a very good game to give the Gophers a chance.

I would be shocked if the Gophers won tonight. But then again, I never think we are going to lose at home.

I'm not sure how you interpreted that from his post. I believe the "no respect" card was played due to the spread being 8 points, not the fact that the Gophers weren't favored.

No right-minded Gopher fan thinks the team should be favored in Madison. We all know beating the Badgers in front of the self-proclaimed "giant loyal fan base" would be the greatest upset in the history of college basketball.

Please go back to Buckyville and circle jerk with the rest of the band dorks.

Calm down, junior, we are talking about basketball, not world peace.

If it makes you feel any better, it would not be the greatest upset in the history of college basketball if the Gophers won tonight. It would only be second or third.

I'm just going to say I think both teams will leave it all on the court.

Other than that, I don't really know what to expect. But I'm hoping for a spirited, highly intense game that is entertaining to watch.

After that, if the Gophers win, all the better!!!:)

Top Bottom