Shooter: Timberwolves to give Rick Rickert another shot

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shooter Now: Timberwolves to give Rick Rickert another shot
By Charley Walters
Updated: 07/06/2010 12:06:15 PM CDT

Rick Rickert is getting another chance with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The 6-foot-11, 240-pound former Duluth East and Gophers standout who was the Wolves' second-round draft pick in 2003 has been playing for New Zealand in the National Basketball League the last few years. He has signed a new contract with the Gold Coast Blaze in the NBL. That season begins Aug. 15.

Rickert, just 27, will take a Wolves physical Wednesday, then participate in a three-day mini-camp Thursday through Saturday. If all goes well, he'll play for the Wolves' summer league team in Las Vegas.

"I'm really anxious; I feel it's my time to crack into the NBA, and I feel I can help the Wolves," Rickert said this morning. "I'm playing the best basketball of my life."

Meanwhile, Rickert has applied for dual citizenship in New Zealand and hopes to play for that country's national team in the World Championships in Turkey in August and September. He and wife Cici have a 14 1/2-month-old daughter, Pepper.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_15448296

Go Gophers!!

Shooter Now: Timberwolves to give Rick Rickert another shot
By Charley Walters
Updated: 07/06/2010 12:06:15 PM CDT

Rick Rickert is getting another chance with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The 6-foot-11, 240-pound former Duluth East and Gophers standout who was the Wolves' second-round draft pick in 2003 has been playing for New Zealand in the National Basketball League the last few years. He has signed a new contract with the Gold Coast Blaze in the NBL. That season begins Aug. 15.

Rickert, just 27, will take a Wolves physical Wednesday, then participate in a three-day mini-camp Thursday through Saturday. If all goes well, he'll play for the Wolves' summer league team in Las Vegas.

"I'm really anxious; I feel it's my time to crack into the NBA, and I feel I can help the Wolves," Rickert said this morning. "I'm playing the best basketball of my life."

Meanwhile, Rickert has applied for dual citizenship in New Zealand and hopes to play for that country's national team in the World Championships in Turkey in August and September. He and wife Cici have a 14 1/2-month-old daughter, Pepper.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_15448296

Go Gophers!!

I like it. Good move. Hope it works out and he can play some ball with the Wolves. There's very little else about the Wolves that is interesting, so a Gopher angle couldn't hurt.

what is this...the lynx, haha...i'm all for it

I wish him all the best. He may have opted for the draft to soon. However, he came to the Gophers at a very tough time in Gopher basketball history, when he had more attractive options. He deserves our thanks for that.

RR

He came to the Gophs because he was advised to by Izzo, so thanks to Izzo for that.

I actually think he opted for the draft too late (for his sake, not the Gophers). He may have made it into the 1st round if he had opted after his freshman season.

I actually think he opted for the draft too late (for his sake, not the Gophers). He may have made it into the 1st round if he had opted after his freshman season.

While I agree that he would have probably been better served to leave after his freshman season, it just underscores how messed up the NBA draft can be. Those evaluating almost entirely based on potential often get burned. Rick was never close to being an NBA player. It's why having a longer evaluation period almost a must for the quality of play in the Association. I like the one year removed rule as it benefits both college basketball and the NBA but it needs to go a step further. Helps the NBA by having an extra year to evaluate a player while it also makes less of a mockery of an education while giving CB an extra year of display the elite talent on that level. Player like LeBron are the exception to the rule but even someone like John Wall could use an extra year in college There can be a middle ground to help the NBA select more on potential while keeping the integriy of CB but understand that a rare athlete will come along where an exception needs to be made. It's common sense that lawyers won't allow unforunately.

God bless Rick for committing to the Gophers. That was a fun morning.

But he should've stayed four years.

He finally feel safe in Minnesota now that KG is gone.

Not sure if the "Rick" made a good impression during the mini-camp. Right now on timberwolves.com the only gophers I see on the roster are Westbrook and Damian.

the guy got terrible advice by someone to leave the U after one season. If he stayed all 4 or at least 3 he may be in the league right now. Now he has no shot.

Not sure if the "Rick" made a good impression during the mini-camp. Right now on timberwolves.com the only gophers I see on the roster are Westbrook and Damian.

He's not eligible for the summer league...I think that's only for rookies and 2nd years players if I'm not mistaken. Rickert's been out of college for quite some time now.

He's not eligible for the summer league...I think that's only for rookies and 2nd years players if I'm not mistaken. Rickert's been out of college for quite some time now.

False.

NBA summer league is for players who have been in the league three years or less.

Since Rickert has been in the league zero years, he would qualify even under your (incorrect) criteria. The length of time one has been out of college is completely irrelevant.

False.

NBA summer league is for players who have been in the league three years or less.

Since Rickert has been in the league zero years, he would qualify even under your (incorrect) criteria. The length of time one has been out of college is completely irrelevant.

That sounds accurate. There are players who play Summer Leauge for years without every making the NBA.

where is Rickert??

woodside of NDSU dropped 11pts for Nelly & Golden St the other night, then only had 6 vs John Wall last night.

Lawrence Wesbrook helps the Wolves get their first summer league win tonight with a layup and two FTs to close the game out. He had six pts. - Marcus Tweet.

Played 23:56, brought the ball up the court and played good on the ball defense.

Top Bottom